Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
47,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Djokovic achievements more closely align with Federer's than Nadal, who has too many unique achievements for Roger to match but whose clay dominant resume leaves a few holes. Indoor hard success, year end titles, and weeks at #1 for Rafa are all too low.

Djokovic very nearly matches Federer in almost all categories though of course the numbers are a bit lower. Let us dive in, and throw Nadal in the mix as well. These stats are entering Paris this week. And only ATP main tour stats, no Challenger or future or juniors, they do not include main tour qualies (though one can definitely argue those account for wear and tear on the body)

Federer:

Career W/L- 1176-257 (82.1%) 1433 matches total in the body
Career Titles- 99
Slams- 20
Year End Titles- 6
Olympics- Gold in doubles, Silver in Singles
Year End #1- 5 years
Weeks at #1- 310

Nadal:

Career W/L- 918-189 (82.9%) 1107 total matches in the body
Career titles- 80
Slams- 17
Year End Titles- 0
Olympics- Gold in singles
Year End #1- 4 years
Weeks at #1- 196

Djokovic:

Career W/L- 828-173 (82.7%) 1001 total matches in the body
Career titles- 72
Slams- 14
Year End Titles- 5
Olympics- Bronze in singles
Year End #1- 4 years
Weeks at #1- 223

Nadal has played 77.5% of the matches that Fed has played. Djokovic has played 69.9% of the matches that Fed has played. Nadal has won 85% of the slams Fed has won in 77.5% of the matches. Djokovic has won 70% in 69.9%, basically dead on. Nadal won 80.8% of the titles as Federer in less matches. Djokovic is also ahead of the pace by like 3%. But I do not know if either guy will end up playing as many matches as Roger did anyways especially Rafa

Nadal has ZERO year end titles, he really needs to win that thing one time at least, my goodness. Djokovic if he cleans up the season will tie Federer in both YE titles and YE #1 finishes. Of course he can surpass him next year. Nole will get 235 weeks if he keeps #1 until after AO. And if Nole keeps #1 until July 6, 2020, he will surpass Fed in weeks at #1.

Translation: If Djokovic plays at this level for another 1.5-2 years, he will be the GOAT statistically and undisputed, having equalled or surpassed Roger's best numbers. He has already held all 4 slams at once, and possibly can do it again next year. This is why Federer has not yet retired. He does not want to be like Sampras, all records erased in 7-15 years. This would be even worse, records eclipsed within 2-3 years. Possible Fed-Djoker SF this week has all of the above on the line and can change it all. Fed himself mathematically can be YE #1 and win YE Masters then all this is delayed another year.

But let's focus on Dzumhur first :wink2:

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
Yes statistically he can or even Nadal can but neither will ever be regarded the greatest as Federer is an intrinsically better tennis player than them. Please take off the blinders and deal with this reality which has existed since Fed won RG 09 to complete his career slam.

·
Registered
12,588 Posts
Yes statistically he can or even Nadal can but neither will ever be regarded the greatest as Federer is an intrinsically better tennis player than them. Please take off the blinders and deal with this reality which has existed since Fed won RG 09 to complete his career slam.
It's better you prepare to deal with the reality. Which is there may be better players than Fed. Go on with your life and continue living.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Let's wait what Boss has to say about this.

·
Registered
14,496 Posts
Anyone who believes he can win 6 or 7 more slams is just silly.
What did Federer think about the same when he was 29 in 2010? Was he also silly that he thought he should go on for many more years and he may win some more?

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Indeed, as far as all of the non-slam stats are concerned Djokovic has a great chance of equaling or surpassing Federer. Novak already has and will obviously end his career with more masters titles than Federer. He will probably win 1 or 2 more WTF titles which would also put him at equal or better with Fed. As you have said he can even surpass weeks at No.1 by July 2020, which is totally reasonable if he does not get injured. He will now almost certainly equal and perhaps in the future surpass Fed in YE. No1's. All that really remains to be seen is how many slams Djokovic can win. That's going to be the hard part. I believe he could reach 20 but it will not be easy, and I'm not making any assumptions about that for now.

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
It's better you prepare to deal with the reality. Which is there may be better players than Fed. Go on with your life and continue living.
No there won't be because there has never been and never will be a better tennis player than Federer. He can play every shot in the book and plays with impeccable footwork, balance and efficiency which has never been seen in tennis. It's you Nadal fans that can't accept Fed as the GOAT and want anyone but Fed to be the GOAT. That is the reality.

·
justice for all
13,109 Posts
What did Federer think about the same when he was 29 in 2010? Was he also silly that he thought he should go on for many more years and he may win some more?
I'm not sure what Fed gotta do with it.

Let's put it this way: if Djokovic manages to win 7 more slams - credit to him and yes probably he'd have a case in the GOAT debate. That would be unprecedented to win so many after you turn 30.

But I think only his deluded fanboys (and very few of them actually) really believe he can do it.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
This has been on the cards since mid 2009.

·
Registered
12,588 Posts
No there won't be because there has never been and never will be a better tennis player than Federer. He can play every shot in the book and plays with impeccable footwork, balance and efficiency which has never been seen in tennis. It's you Nadal fans that can't accept Fed as the GOAT and want anyone but Fed to be the GOAT. That is the reality.
I will live happily no matter who ends the best. Well, may be 3% more happy if its Nadal. Its ridiculous to make my life a hostage of a tennis player. Federer and Nadal don't care about you and me.

And no, he can't play any shot. He cant make the same shots like Rafa or Djokovic, everyone has his own technique.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Problem is people are mixing everything.

One thing is digest, regardless of gamestyle, which is only titles and stats and can be more or less compared if happening in the same period.

We will be able to compare respective digest around 2025.

Other thing is gamestyle.

Federer has a very stylish gamestyle and I can understand some may think Nadal and Djokovic are not stylish.

In that field comparison is even more discutable as well as when my Grand Father was saying that Jazz or Rock and Roll are not as stylish as Classic Music.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
People like OP really don't sit well with me, ugh.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I think year end titles are far down in prestige. You can lose a match, even two in extreme cases, and still win that thing. Not to mention the always same surface. It's mostly something for the fans. Masters titles might be easier to come by overall but are worth more in my book.

Djokovic will get there if he has 2-3 successful years going forward. Doesn't look like he will have the toughest of competition so another 6-8 slams is in the cards.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Djokovic may surpass Federer in many stats, like weeks at #1, YE titles, top 10 wins, and maybe even Slam finals/semis/quarters, match wins, Slam match wins, and career titles if he plays long enough. The Slam title total, probably the most important record, is also the hardest, even if Federer remains at 20. But who knows. Let's enjoy the ride and see how this golden era ends. I can see them all end up within 2 slams of each other in the 18-21 range.

Federer:
Olympics- Gold in doubles, Silver in Singles

Nadal:
Olympics- Gold in singles
Nadal also has a gold in doubles.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts