·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Registered
259 Posts
If you can't capture the imagination of American parents and boys, you're not going to have a real male American champion. In America, with the NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL, little boys aren't interested in tennis enough for the sport to draw the best athletes. Tennis in America peaked way back in the '70s. That ship has sailed.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Has the savior of American tennis finally arrived? (circa 1989)

Reactions: enlightenedth

·
Registered
450 Posts
No us man are mostly servebots these days and kind of such getting owned by Europe best for like 15 years now.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Korda was in the 4th round of his first major, in one of his first main tour events. He was ahead of himself. playing his hero. Did he really care to win? I don't think so.All it takes is that fraction of desire and focus and hunger to be off, to get steamrolled by Rafa. Next time Korda will do better vs Rafa. Can't use that match as a litmus test for Korda's upside.

Reactions: scriabina

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Watch Korda vs Isner today. Look at his movement, so smooth. Look at his head, his demeanor, his maturity. This kid expects to beat anyone outside the top ten. The shots are all there. Korda is the complete package, total complete package. I think he will be with Thiem, Sinner, Tsitsipas, very soon.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
It is an outrage that a great tennis nation like Meriga with its history and tradition no longer produces great, leading players.

At least charismatic, even Australia, another great is doing better with Nick.

Brits have waited a long time since Perry to have Murray and the future looks bleak.

Sweden too, but the most surprising here was that a country with a limited population (around Greater London) offers so many champions.

France ... no, nothing.

Italy seems to find beautiful colors, let's wait.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
It is an outrage that a great tennis nation like Meriga with its history and tradition no longer produces great, leading players.

Sorry but Kyrgios isn't doing better than the Americans. I don't particularly care for any of these guys actually but Nick is is basically a part time player and social media influencer who is 'controversial'

Even Isner and Fritz are both much more relevant tennis-wise week to week (as their rankings at #25 and #29 also indicate) and as bad as things are relatively, the US has 9 men in the top 100.

I don't know by what standard a country with less than half the number of top 100 players than the US is 'doing better.' None of these players for either country will likely win slams but there's more to having a good tennis program than just having one of the 5 or so guys with a real shot to do that.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Korda was in the 4th round of his first major, in one of his first main tour events. He was ahead of himself. playing his hero. Did he really care to win? I don't think so.All it takes is that fraction of desire and focus and hunger to be off, to get steamrolled by Rafa. Next time Korda will do better vs Rafa. Can't use that match as a litmus test for Korda's upside.
'Facing Korda' on amazon now.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Nothing to be sorry about, my opinion is only my opinion .. and it suits me. :)
I'm 'sorry' is a figure of speech highlighting the silliness in thinking Kyrgios, ranked quite a bit below other Americans - a country with more than twice as many players in the top 100 as Australia - somehow speaks for your claim that Australia is doing 'better'.

So if 'sorry' confused you, we can just change that to 'lol'

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Was going to post that Nick wouldn't be the top ranked American. Yes, American tennis is as bad as it's ever been (nobody in top 25), but they aren't as bad off as Nick is.

Reactions: tribalfusion

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Was going to post that Nick wouldn't be the top ranked American. Yes, American tennis is as bad as it's ever been (nobody in top 25), but they aren't as bad off as Nick is.
Yep - America has 9 top 100 players to Australia's 4. One correction though: Isner is actually #25 right now and Fritz is pretty close at #29.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I remind all the same for all useful purposes, that my post must be read correctly, I did not quote in any way the past, current or future ranking of Nick, I spoke of his charisma, and certainly, it is superior to n 'any current us player ... it's not difficult if you measure a nation that has given players like Connors, McEnroe or Agassi.

And even today, Kyrgios will attract more spectators to the court, whatever his burlesque outings on twitter.

I have the feeling here that as soon as Kyrgios is mentioned, it is only necessary to shoot him, without even recognizing a real fact.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
I maintain that Isner has a larger following than Kyrgios. GS SF, 400+ wins, 15 titles.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts