Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has he?

Federer already had quite good volleying skills, but hasn't always seemed eager to employ them. Also, he has sometimes had questionable volley tactics, hitting volleys straight toward the players at one corner of the baseline instead of the open court, leaving them not much to do for the pass.

Was this one of Federer's missions in hiring Edberg, after Federer was overcome by the volleying Sergiy Stakhovsky at Wimbledon in 2013?

After hiring Edberg, is Federer staying aggressive for longer, or does he only do it when ahead?

Does he abandon it when things get tight, or does he go for it?

Is it working for him? Has he improved?

See a Fed-Ed view of their skills in a special practice session on the court. :D

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
If he comes up against the top players at Wimbledon I imagine he'll use it far more frequently than we're used to as he won't want to be playing long baseline rallies. In a way it's a style which allows him to maintain greater control over his own fate which I imagine is the appeal.

We'll also see how it goes in the indoor season, trying to take time away from his opponents is presumably a driving motivation.

I don't think we'l see loads of it at the French but if he gets to the latter stages then it will be employed.

I don't think it was a reaction to Stakhovsky as such but he will probably use it in the early rounds of Wimbledon as long as he's feeling comfortable in order to refine it.

In tight situations it's very difficult not to revert to type but I like to think he will stay aggressive in clutch moments against his rivals.

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice comments underspin. So I guess we are really see what's going on with this subject at Wimbledon or maybe Halle.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I'd add another point:

Federer is clearly doing better this year than last and we cannot in entirety directly attribute this to Edberg and/or serve volley tactics. Despite this, it seems fair to say that a player has less pressure on their "A game" so to speak if they also have a solid "B game" to fall back on. In this case, it could be that having a back-up plan that he is confident in has helped Federer by alleviating pressure on his baseline game and has allowed him to play more freely. In a tight match, rather than any given moment, this may see an improvement in his serve/volley tactics indirectly helping him perform well under pressure.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
No, Fed was a serve & volleyer early in his career. His volleys are the best of tour among the top players by far.

He doesn't need a coach to help improve this. Just needs to change tactics if he wants.

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd add another point:

Federer is clearly doing better this year than last and we cannot in entirety directly attribute this to Edberg and/or serve volley tactics. Despite this, it seems fair to say that a player has less pressure on their "A game" so to speak if they also have a solid "B game" to fall back on. In this case, it could be that having a back-up plan that he is confident in has helped Federer by alleviating pressure on his baseline game and has allowed him to play more freely. In a tight match, rather than any given moment, this may see an improvement in his serve/volley tactics indirectly helping him perform well under pressure.
+1. Very good point.

I'll go so far as to say more confident aggressive tactics won him the quicker Dubai title, and similar tactics almost won him at the slower higher bouncing Indian Wells, but that I think he took his foot off the pedal a bit there in the final.

He probably feels uncertain of using it on the slower courts for fear of being passed too often and not being able to hit volleys through the court as well.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
642 Posts
Federer volley skills improved, not the exact volley skill, but he makes the prepare shot ( i dont know if its the correct form) way better, and he feels more when he can go up to the net. I dont think he will do S+V tactics in Wimbledon all the time, because it seems like he improved the prepare shot with reason so I expedt him to go to the net during rallies a lot. So I feel he makes the prepare shot better, he is not a better volleyer (by skill), and of course his S+V is better for the same reason probably, which is Edberg advices.

I hope I made my point clear, I don't know the good tennis terms here

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Looks like Stefen is still better than Fed.

I saw Novak would rush to the net and play volley against Nadal. He is also learning from BB.

·
Banned
6,672 Posts
Coincidentally I have just wondered about this myself today MC. It's difficult to say. I think the biggest effect Edberg has is in the mental department. Ever since Melbourne I noticed a certain mental calm in Roger which was not there before. I'm convinced team Fedberg will win at least one slam. They have too much experience and legendary status between them not to.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
i agree with what a lot that's said here... however, am i the only one who has heard the same stuff from when Annacone was his coach? Annacone told him to rush the net, drop shot more, and short points up - all of which Edberg presumably endorses himself.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Edberg has helped Roger's net game a lot:
1. Federer goes to the net with more purpose now(he usually has a plan or some patterns he and Stefan have discussed). Thus, he is more confident and closes to the net a lot quicker than before when he usually had to hit his first volley before the T zone.
2. He closes the angles by moving closer to the net after the first volley(this helps him with consistency as it is easier to pounce the second volley). Yes, this makes him more vulnerable to lobs but lobs aren't the most popular shot nowadays especially compared to normal passing shots.
3. Federer chooses/guesses a side to cover when he is at the net more often now, instead of just standing like a sitting duck. He is more conscious of which passing shot is harder than the other, so that he leaves the more difficult option.
4. Overall volley technique has improved a little bit(especially his forehand volley) but that solely may be due to the extra practice, not necessarily Stefan's help.

Overall, before his net play was purely intuitive and although he had good technique compared to the current generation, his net game was subpar compared to great volleyers like Edberg. Now, he has more of a plan and expect him to use a lot more net play during the grass season.

·
10,298 Posts
Federer volley skills improved, not the exact volley skill, but he makes the prepare shot ( i dont know if its the correct form) way better, and he feels more when he can go up to the net. I dont think he will do S+V tactics in Wimbledon all the time, because it seems like he improved the prepare shot with reason so I expedt him to go to the net during rallies a lot. So I feel he makes the prepare shot better, he is not a better volleyer (by skill), and of course his S+V is better for the same reason probably, which is Edberg advices.

I hope I made my point clear, I don't know the good tennis terms here
The tennis term you are looking for is the "Split Step" up at net. As mentioned earlier, Federer's volleys have been top notch since 2001, so I would not say Edberg has improved volleying, but improved positioning and foot work at net.

Also Masterclass how dare you forget the Fed BH.:rolleyes: Edberg has massively improved this aspect of his game.

In this video Federer is doing one legged medicine ball throws and than straight afterwards he is working on his BH. I'd assume this is very much a drill from Edberg who also had a world class OHB.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Has he?

Federer already had quite good volleying skills, but hasn't always seemed eager to employ them. Also, he has sometimes had questionable volley tactics, hitting volleys straight toward the players at one corner of the baseline instead of the open court, leaving them not much to do for the pass.

Was this one of Federer's missions in hiring Edberg, after Federer was overcome by the volleying Sergiy Stakhovsky at Wimbledon in 2013?

After hiring Edberg, is Federer staying aggressive for longer, or does he only do it when ahead?

Does he abandon it when things get tight, or does he go for it?

Is it working for him? Has he improved?

See a Fed-Ed view of their skills in a special practice session on the court. :D

Respectfully,
masterclass
I haven't seen that much improvement. Federer has an uncanny ability, on both volleys and approach shots, to hit to the returner.

Roger should study old tapes of McEnroe who had almost perfect placement to the vacant area.

·
Registered
21,286 Posts
The tennis term you are looking for is the "Split Step" up at net. As mentioned earlier, Federer's volleys have been top notch since 2001, so I would not say Edberg has improved volleying, but improved positioning and foot work at net.

Also Masterclass how dare you forget the Fed BH.:rolleyes: Edberg has massively improved this aspect of his game.

In this video Federer is doing one legged medicine ball throws and than straight afterwards he is working on his BH. I'd assume this is very much a drill from Edberg who also had a world class OHB.
The new racket also helped in that regard

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thanks Kowchi but not, luckily someone wrote it down.

So I meant the approach shot, he got much better with the approach shots and also he defend against volleys better, I remember a beautiful slice against Djokovic in Dubai he just made it impossible to volley for Djokovic who made a well constructed approach shot.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Why don't more player S&V against Fed, out wide to his BH especially?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Edberg´s volleys were prbably the best ever, but I don´t think he can really teach Federer many technical aspects with the volleys. ANd he doesn´t need to, Federer will never again be a pure serve & volleyer, and his volleys are just fine.

What Edberg can offer, and I´m sure he has, is to help Federer with the tactical side. When to approach the net, how to do it, which kind of approaches to use and how to cover the net. Footwork is probably one major thing as well, Edberg´s speed, agility and footwork were top notch, it would be foolish of Federer not take advantage of this, I´m sure Edberg knows a drill or two to help with that.

But maybe the biggest thing for Federer is just to hang out with his childhood idol, talk about the game, hear some new, refreshing ideas, whether they are useful or not. I´m sure that just practicing with Edberg and talking about the game is inspirational for Federer. No harm in that.

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A lot of good points being made by many. :worship:
Thanks to all for keeping this a respectful and informative thread.

One other thing that I've notice a marked improvement on this year is Federer's return of serve.
He's coming over a lot more of them when given the opportunity.

It's something he used to do a lot more of when he was younger, until he seem to have settled for the perhaps safer, but weaker bunt or slice return. Use that with the big servers on first serves, sure, but with guys who aren't serving big, and on weaker second serves like Murray and Nadal possess, he should really be clobbering them most of the time, and only slip in a few slice returns for variety.

If he wants to have any chance of beating Rafa on clay or anywhere else these days, this is what he needs to do. Get it back quickly and with pace to put Rafa on his back foot. With Rafa's serve in a not so good state now, he needs to take advantage of that. Almost everyone else is.

The slice return just hasn't cut it with Nadal.

Not sure if Edberg has had something to with this improvement/restoration or not.

Respecfully,
masterclass

1 - 20 of 25 Posts