Mens Tennis Forums banner

Has social media/texting negatively affected people's social skills in person?

• Yes, it's turning people into hermits

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • No, people are the same

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder about this sometimes:

Nowadays, particularly with younger people, it's much easier to text someone/facebook them than it is to call them or see them in person. Do you think that having a higher proportion of contact via these channels is likely to have a negative effect on people's ability to communicate in person?

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
"Oh hey! Haven't talked to you in years!"

"Yeah! We have so much to catch up on!"

"So, what you been up t- *BEEP BEEP*

*Fiddle fiddle fiddle*

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Absolutely.
As much as I fully embrace the fantastic possibilities of the Internet in general, I quite often shudder when seeing all those folks around about everywhere virtually glued to their mobile phones - to the point where they'd probably rather walk under a bus than take their eyes off of their phone's display. :eek:

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
I've actually commented on this alot, generally falling on deaf ears. It's practically impossible to hold a 5 minute conversation in person without being interrupted with some text/call etc. If not, you're talking, turn away for a couple seconds, begin to say something else and oh look at that, they have their face stuck to their blackberry checking their bleedin' facebook status. I usually give up at that point..

So yeah, with people taking pretty much every social media tool in priority over people they're directly talking to, talking in person has gone well downhill. Soon it'll be considered uncool.. we might as well just evolve out of talking.

I'll stick with my old flip phone till I'm forced to descend to the darkness.

Reactions: Roger the Dodger

·
Registered
14,842 Posts
yes, its sad really, like for example your bf/gf breaks up with you over the phone and after that they either blame themselves or jus commit suicide:sad: :tears:
I wouldn't break up with you ever (aside from breaking with up over the phone) if you would be my GF.

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
i was texting away when i needed to take a dump once and just fully unloaded in my pants... stank up the joint... nothing else really matters when you text...

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Very much so.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
No. I hate people.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
No, most of the time when I'm texting, it is to ask to meet up with people in person. So it leads to talking in person.

As for people using their mobile phones while talking to other people, that is a separate issue. I don't text or check my phone while people are talking to me. There are of course plenty of other times you can do that.

·
Banned
6,118 Posts
Bullshit.

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
I don't think people had any social skills in person to begin with.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
def no. what you would've had to elaborate for days, involving flexing god knows what, you can now convey in three or less words.

·
Registered
19,148 Posts
It depends who you're talking to. When I talk to people for extended periods of time I often find we're both meeting up for the very reason that we're sick of the Internet and phone usage and just want to disconnect from that. It's got to the point that because we're so social media dependent these days, when we meet up we want to make sure it's proper interaction, face-to-face and all that.

I don't think people had any social skills in person to begin with.
What are social skills anyway?

I don't think social media/texting has reduced our ability to be social in real life it's just reduced the amount of times we do it. To forget how to hold a conversation irl seems absurd to me.

·
Your visions will happen
48,513 Posts
Yes, I believe so.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts