• Total voters
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first he has succeded to qualify for one Slam,US open

then he beat weak era no.3 Ljubicic in R1,

and then later he had 3 match points to reach R3, he had 6-3 in the 5th set TB :worship:

He has never again been that close to the R3 of any Slam. :sad:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
from his twitter

Ryan Harrison
@ryanharrison92

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up - Rocky Balboa

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I know it's a repeat of my post from the Houston thread after Young beat Harrison, but it bears repeating

"As far as i'm concerned, I never thought Ryan Harrison had more talent/ceiling than Donald Young. He's a guy that's never made a ATP final, never won more than 1 match in a grand slam, and hasn't beaten the name/quality opponents like Young has in his career.

Harrison beat Isner, Lubicic Garcia Lopez and Troicki. Young beat Murray, Wawrinka, Chela, Monfils, Haas, Lopez, Seppi, Sela, Garcia-Lopez, Melzer, and Baghdatis.

Jack Sock has more talent/ceiling than Ryan Harrison. He's already beaten 3 Top 40 players in his career (Haas, Mayer, Petzschner) and made the 3rd round of a slam twice and he's 5 months younger than Harrison. I see him as a bigger threat to have a better ATP career than Young. More than I ever did Ryan Harrison."

Since that post, Donald Young has added Juan Monaco to his Top 40 list and 1 more victory each over Sela and Lopez. He also has another chance to beat Garcia Lopez this weekend.

Jack Sock added Ivo Karlovic and Benjamin Becker to his Career Top 40 list of wins (Almagro was a early retirement and view this the way I viewed Young's walkover against Gasquet).

Ryan Harrison's list has stayed the same. His form and ranking have really dipped and he'll be a serious underdog against his next Career Top 40 opponent.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know it's a repeat of my post from the Houston thread after Young beat Harrison, but it bears repeating

"As far as i'm concerned, I never thought Ryan Harrison had more talent/ceiling than Donald Young. He's a guy that's never made a ATP final, never won more than 1 match in a grand slam, and hasn't beaten the name/quality opponents like Young has in his career.

Harrison beat Isner, Lubicic Garcia Lopez and Troicki. Young beat Murray, Wawrinka, Chela, Monfils, Haas, Lopez, Seppi, Sela, Garcia-Lopez, Melzer, and Baghdatis.

Jack Sock has more talent/ceiling than Ryan Harrison. He's already beaten 3 Top 40 players in his career (Haas, Mayer, Petzschner) and made the 3rd round of a slam twice and he's 5 months younger than Harrison. I see him as a bigger threat to have a better ATP career than Young. More than I ever did Ryan Harrison."

Since that post, Donald Young has added Juan Monaco to his Top 40 list and 1 more victory each over Sela and Lopez. He also has another chance to beat Garcia Lopez this weekend.

Jack Sock added Ivo Karlovic and Benjamin Becker to his Career Top 40 list of wins (Almagro was a early retirement and view this the way I viewed Young's walkover against Gasquet).

Ryan Harrison's list has stayed the same. His form and ranking have really dipped and he'll be a serious underdog against his next Career Top 40 opponent.
Sock also beat Raonic last year.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
Couldn't disagree more... with the general theme of this thread, I would agree that Harrison has fallen... that's obvious but he's still an amazing talent and probably a future top 20 player, I'm not sure what's going on with his game or his head at the moment but he's let himself degrade from a mixed game to a pure counter punching game...heavily relying on his serve which, IMO is a good serve but not one of the biggest in the game.

Sock has more upside in terms of shot making and fire power, also I think at the moment he probably has one of the biggest forehands on tour...he's atleast in the top 10 in that regard behind Nadal, DelPo, etc. (that's another debate) but he's a shot maker and tends to play up against the bigger dogs. Fitness is the big issue with him but I think that's easier to fix than lack of weapons which IMO is incurable, the pro players games are basically set by the age of 18... so they can improve consistency and fitness but rarely will they add weapons.

It will be interesting to see where Sock and Harrison end up, at the moment it looks like Sock will have a more promising career with an opportunity to perhaps reach the top 10 some day. While Harrison appears to be on downward spiral, again it's hard with a retriever/counter punching style to break through very fast, it's built on match play and confidence... guys like Spadea, Ferrer, Davydenko, Schüttler, etc. took awhile progress but still had meaningful careers and even made some grand slam final appearances. Sometimes they won't until like 25-26 years old later.. and sometimes it never happens at all. With Ryan Harrison he has way too much talent to fail.

Young really shouldn't be in the discussion with Sock and Harrison...at this point he's 24 years old, that's tour veteran and someone who is in their prime. Sock and Harrison aren't there yet and as far as I'm concerned this is Young's peak... he won't ever reach higher or do better than he's done this year. Sock and Harrison can only improve.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Ryan really is just short on confidence. to suggest someone peaked at 18 may be the stupidest thing someone has ever said on here

whats his coaching situation? i know before it was a revolving door.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Couldn't disagree more... with the general theme of this thread, I would agree that Harrison has fallen... that's obvious but he's still an amazing talent and probably a future top 20 player, I'm not sure what's going on with his game or his head at the moment but he's let himself degrade from a mixed game to a pure counter punching game...heavily relying on his serve which, IMO is a good serve but not one of the biggest in the game.

Sock has more upside in terms of shot making and fire power, also I think at the moment he probably has one of the biggest forehands on tour...he's atleast in the top 10 in that regard behind Nadal, DelPo, etc. (that's another debate) but he's a shot maker and tends to play up against the bigger dogs. Fitness is the big issue with him but I think that's easier to fix than lack of weapons which IMO is incurable, the pro players games are basically set by the age of 18... so they can improve consistency and fitness but rarely will they add weapons.

It will be interesting to see where Sock and Harrison end up, at the moment it looks like Sock will have a more promising career with an opportunity to perhaps reach the top 10 some day. While Harrison appears to be on downward spiral, again it's hard with a retriever/counter punching style to break through very fast, it's built on match play and confidence... guys like Spadea, Ferrer, Davydenko, Schüttler, etc. took awhile progress but still had meaningful careers and even made some grand slam final appearances. Sometimes they won't until like 25-26 years old later.. and sometimes it never happens at all. With Ryan Harrison he has way too much talent to fail.

Young really shouldn't be in the discussion with Sock and Harrison...at this point he's 24 years old, that's tour veteran and someone who is in their prime. Sock and Harrison aren't there yet and as far as I'm concerned this is Young's peak... he won't ever reach higher or do better than he's done this year. Sock and Harrison can only improve.

:spit:

·
Registered
1,823 Posts

That's unfair about using 24 as the "veteran" cutoff considering Kei Nishikori and Steve Johnson are the same age and considered youngsters. It only seems like he's a veteran because he's been on the ATP tour since he was 16. To me, you're not considered young anymore when you hit 26 in tennis. If Donald Young is finally putting it together to have a career, he cut it real close i'll give you that.

As for Ryan Harrison, what was his weapons when he was coming along, because if he did have weapons, the past year or so, it has deteriorated where I don't see it anymore. Domald Young's was his lefty touch, forehand, great footspeed among his countrymen, and net game. He still has those.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Given his poor attitude, he's not going anywhere...he's the antithesis of discipline and composure....
forget about him and move on...

·
Registered
57,596 Posts
Harrison was both very clutch (Stakhovsky match aside) and very aggressive when he first arrived. That is the biggest difference. Someone, maybe Roddick, convinced him to become a defensive player, which he just does not have the solid strokes to do.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Ryan really is just short on confidence. to suggest someone peaked at 18 may be the stupidest thing someone has ever said on here

whats his coaching situation? i know before it was a revolving door.
No no, anyone would be short on confidence with a game like his.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

:haha: nice joke

·
Unregistered User
9,588 Posts
The most mind-boggling part about it all is, like Time Violation once said, that he quite looks like the hard-working type and has not been hampered by serious injuries either. Yet he doesn't seem to make much progress, quite the opposite actually.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
He has some big technical problems, the most glaring is he tucks his elbow in so close to his body on the FH that he really struggles to generate any sort of pace off that wing that a more extended arm gives you. His hardest hit FHs are the ones on the run where he is forced to straighten out his arm and get a fuller swing at the ball.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Harrison is a decent player, but not a big talent IMO. His biggest weapon is his serve. His forehand is good at best, but not solid. So many players out there have got good forehands. I think his defensive skills are just not good enough, his footwork is decent at best. If you add the attitude problems, I find it hard to believe that he will be a top 10 player during his career.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
:haha: nice joke
He's not talented? I'm assuming the laughing emoticons are in response to or as a result of a combination of these factors... Harrison's recent long losing streak, because you don't like his style of play, because he's an American or because you've never seen him play before?

[/B]

That's unfair about using 24 as the "veteran" cutoff considering Kei Nishikori and Steve Johnson are the same age and considered youngsters. It only seems like he's a veteran because he's been on the ATP tour since he was 16. To me, you're not considered young anymore when you hit 26 in tennis. If Donald Young is finally putting it together to have a career, he cut it real close i'll give you that.

As for Ryan Harrison, what was his weapons when he was coming along, because if he did have weapons, the past year or so, it has deteriorated where I don't see it anymore. Domald Young's was his lefty touch, forehand, great footspeed among his countrymen, and net game. He still has those.
Nishikori won Delray beach at 20 yo and technically I'm not sure he's considered a youngster anymore. Steve Johnson isn't even in the discussion...

Anyways the reason why I mention it is ... here's what Young's year looked like at 22.

Young went 17 matches without a victory during 2012 before defeating Leonardo Mayer at the 2012 Winston-Salem Open.[12] At the US Open, he was defeated by top seed, Roger Federer in the first round.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts