Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might seem an absurd question. I mean, the guy has passed Sampras's haul of slams and may soon pass Federer's record for weeks at number one. By any measure, he's one of the most successful men's tennis players there has ever been.

But there is more to it:

In 2007, he contested his first slam final at the US Open. He was an exciting fresh face, known for his powerful forehand, his strong serve, his backhand dtl and his deft drop-shots (not to mention of course his sense of humour and impressions of other players). In the final, against 11-time slam winner Roger Federer, Novak was the better player. He played an attractive mix of attack and defence, and played better in his first slam final, and gave Federer more problems, than Hewitt, Agassi and Roddick had done the three previous years at Flushing Meadows. Only his choking on big points (understandable for a player of tender years) cost him the match and the title. But he left behind a strong impression as an exceptional talent.

Since then he has contested another 24 slam finals, and won 16 of them. But, over the years, he has also increasingly lost the attacking component to his game. Moreover, his game sometimes appears to have calcified, with him shuttling from side to side on the baseline and playing elastic defence. He still plays forehand winners of course, and he still does a mean drop shot, but in many respects there is a sense that the game of that young man from 2007 has retreated into a core of strengths instead of expanding to its full potential.

·
King Of Tennis
2,656 Posts
He should've won more Roland Garros and US Open titles. Also took his foot off the pedal after winning the NCYGS at RG16 and injuries played their part too. But overall, I'm satisfied. He's going to be around for many years to come though, keeping his haters pressed. :love:

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
He is one week younger than Murray and has more than 5 times the slams Murray has ever won. Can't complain.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Djokovic - 2009 and 2010 were lost years, a lot due to Todd Martin screwing up his serve. Only 1 slam per a year 2012-2014 was a bit meagre too.

Nadal - overplayed and injured himself unnecessarily. He should've played a lot less from 2009 AO onwards. I said that at the time but Nadal himself took so long to learn this and he still plays too much (e.g. Laver Cup) in my opinion.

Federer - pretty much maxed out on his results. Maybe should've switched racquets sooner.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Only one RG compared to Nadal's total is ridiculously bad, considering at his peak in 2011 he was regularly handing over Nadal's a$$ on clay. Losing the US/Wimby double to Mandy, numerous mental implosions dotted throughout his career, and requiring more 'time off' to regain focus all give negative vibes. So just not the GOAT sadly.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You do have to wonder if/how things would've been different if Todd Martin hadn't butchered his serve and set him back a few years.

On the other side of the coin, you also have to wonder if/how things would've been different if Troicki had pulled off the first round upset in the 2010 US Open. Based on his form throughout that year, it would've sent his confidence careening to an all time low.

All in all, hard to say a guy with the amount of sustained success Djokovic has had failed to live up to his potential. Plus he's not done yet.

·
Registered
16,310 Posts
Any sources to Todd Martin changing his serve?

He just played lackluster, his serve was the only thing working for him against Haas in the Wimbledon loss

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
His serve was better pre 2009 as compared to now..More explosive..Right now it's just about efficient..

He has lost his explosiveness on forehand too over the years...Might be the result of serious injuries..

He tends to go on and off,and is one of the kind of ATGs..ATGs tend to be more consistent.But yeah,his peak level is not likely to be matched by anybody including Federer so that kinda compensates it.

Yes he lost many slams that were really his,2012-2014.Choked badly against Fedal and Murray of all..Ultimately that might cost him in the Slam battle but I am positive..

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Lost his nerve after lashing the arse off that nanny

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Any sources to Todd Martin changing his serve?

He just played lackluster, his serve was the only thing working for him against Haas in the Wimbledon loss
In an effort to gain explosiveness, he changed his toss to be way higher and behind him. Didn’t really make the serve any more powerful, but caused it to be more inconsistent. I remember to seeing a lot of side-by-sides in 2011 comparing his 2009-2010 to post-2011 serve.

·
justice for all
15,146 Posts
Joke’ovic is the biggest overachiever in the history of this game. He was lucky to face a great matchup Murray in AO and RG finals (slower surfaces) and a choking grandpa who let him off the hook in three slams from match points up.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I do think the three of them did overachieved. Ten years ago, I thought the women's singles records were absurd, but in fact we just didn't have people so ridiculously consistent. The very echelon of first tier greats have even become second fiddle as you can't really compare 20,19 to 11-14.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Djokovic before his prime attacked more but was less consistent and also had a bigger but less consistent/accurate serve. Overall, his change to a more consistent, less attacking game was the best choice because he won a shit ton of slams and masters afterwards. Of course, he got more boring at that point but results are more important than entertainment. Every player has times where they miss a chance to capitalize on something big so he’s no different in that regard so overall, I’d say he definitely fulfilled his potential.

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Nobody even in 2010 thought he would win another 15 slams. Even after his 2011 season most people thought he would do well to reach double figures.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Djokovic before his prime attacked more but was less consistent and also had a bigger but less consistent/accurate serve. Overall, his change to a more consistent, less attacking game was the best choice because he won a shit ton of slams and masters afterwards. Of course, he got more boring at that point but results are more important than entertainment. Every player has times where they miss a chance to capitalize on something big so he’s no different in that regard so overall, I’d say he definitely fulfilled his potential.
Good post. A little more articulate and thought out version of where I was going.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts