Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Next gen has been making big strides in the last few weeks, that's one thing for sure.

At the start of the year at the AO, it was the first time 3 teenagers made the 3rd round of the Australian Open since 2007 which included a young Murray and Djokovic. Eventually, AO semi-finalist, Stefanos Tsitsipas, broke into the top 10 to become the 2nd under 22 year old player in the top 10 while we can hear a promising Khachanov (once he knocks off his Paris curse), Coric and a strong Medvedev knocking on the door for a place in the top 10. Then there are two players attempting to crack the top 20 in Alex De Minaur and Denis Shapovalov, who is finding his feet after a quick breakthrough in 2017. Other players who have been doing well post-AO that are more on the older spectrum for next gen but like Djere who are only around a year older than Zverev, are making big strides as Djere has won his first title and is already seeded at Indian Wells while Cameron Norrie has been having a great season and is definitely cracking the top 50 anytime soon. Australian Open quarter-final, Frances Tiafoe, is also attempting to crack the top 20 soon and is going to have a good chance to do so during the US hardcourt swing. As shown in the image, there are quite a few players who have reached a new career high including:

Hurbert Hurkacz who reached his first ATP 500 quarterfinal only to reach his first ATP Masters 1000 quarterfinal one week later and is looking like he has a good possibility of pushing Federer to his limits and making the top 50 soon.
Felix Auger-Alliasime who is dubbed by many as arguably the best youngster around and has been absolutely phenomenal after his Rio final breakthrough who then made the quarter-final of Sao Paulo only lose to Djere, who he played in the final of Rio, while he also showed his hard court prowess with an exciting round 3 appearance after two phenomenal wins Norrie and Tsitsipas only for his well-fought comeback to be cut short but a next cord down 6-5 in a 3rd set tiebreak. This player will undoubtedly be in the top 20 by the end of the season in my opinion and could easily go far in grand slams next year.
Reilly Opelka recently won his first tournament at the New York Open and is making strides on cracking the top 50.
Mackenzie McDonald has always been a promising player, especially at AO but is starting to gain ranking points from ATP maindraw now and has one of the best volleys on the tour. Could get a decent sponsorship from McDonalds in the future.
Jaume Munar who has been making very good strides in the last year and is a force to be reckoned with during the upcoming clay season. Has had promising results at his recent ATP clay court events.
Matteo Berrettini did well at the 2019 Australian Open with a close first round match with Tsitsipas only to be followed up with a semi-final result at Sofia Open. Top 50 berth to happen this year for sure
Ugo Humbert who has made great progression in his ranking in the last 2 years and the Frenchman is now trying to crack the top 50, could get a pretty good result at the Paris Masters.
Yoshihito Nishioka has made great progression following a serious knee injury and if he was not injury prone, he could be top 35 by now, anyways he can always cause a decent upset when healthy.

There is also good young clay-court players such as Nicolas Jarry who has a career-high ranking of 39 and Christian Garin who is likely to get some good ATP maindraw results during the clay court season while Ruud has finaly made a big breakthrough in ATP clay court events and quickly went from losing in qualifying to losing in the quarter-final or semi-final of the maindraw.

Other players to definitely look out for are Miomir Kecmanovic who has finally made the top 100 after being dubbed as a great youngster for quite a bit of time, looks like his training block with Thiem helped out on how hard he has to work to get where he wants to. There is also Harris who has made the top 100 while Rublev was doing so well until his injury but always has the potential to get back to where he last left off. Sonego and Schnur are also battling a consistent top 100 position as is Mmoh and Ymer who haven't quite lived up to their potential in recent years. Alexei Popyrin who has gone under Lleyton Hewitt's wing like every good behaved Australian tennis player has, put in a great performance at the Australian Open and followed it up with his first Davis Cup. After his Australian Open phanatics, he qualified for 3 of his 4 next tournaments including at Indian Wells where he recorded his first Masters win. There is also Kokkinakis who if he stays injury free could crack the top 100 while Moutet could get close to breaking the top 100 again. On the teenager side of the spectrum, there is Molleker who is a very promising youngster and once he's around 19, he will probably be in the top 100 while Davidoch Fokina still has time to make the top 100.

On players who haven't even graduated school, Luca Nardi is one of the youngest players with ranking points while Jannik Sinner is the highest-ranked 17 year old as he is now in the top 400 while Jack Draper (GBR), Liam Draxl (CAN), Chun Hsin Tseng (TPE) and Brandon Nakashima (USA) are all names to watch out for in the upcoming years.

As you can see there are plenty of players who have/are making/made their mark on the ATP Tour, but the Big 4 is still dominating as Djokovic and Nadal still hold a big grasp on the top 2 as Federer is still in top 5 while Murray had another surgery and could make a miracle comeback. Once they're all no longer a challenge, some of these players are going to be stepping up and replacing them, but let's not forget some random 15 year-old we don't even know could get a wildcard to a professional event in a year and then make top 100 2 years later and eventually win a grand slam.

Attachments

·
10,277 Posts
Next gen has been making big strides in the last few weeks, that's one thing for sure.

At the start of the year at the AO, it was the first time 3 teenagers made the 3rd round of the Australian Open since 2007 which included a young Murray and Djokovic. Eventually, AO semi-finalist, Stefanos Tsitsipas, broke into the top 10 to become the 2nd under 22 year old player in the top 10 while we can hear a promising Khachanov (once he knocks off his Paris curse), Coric and a strong Medvedev knocking on the door for a place in the top 10. Then there are two players attempting to crack the top 20 in Alex De Minaur and Denis Shapovalov, who is finding his feet after a quick breakthrough in 2017. Other players who have been doing well post-AO that are more on the older spectrum for next gen but like Djere who are only around a year older than Zverev, are making big strides as Djere has won his first title and is already seeded at Indian Wells while Cameron Norrie has been having a great season and is definitely cracking the top 50 anytime soon. Australian Open quarter-final, Frances Tiafoe, is also attempting to crack the top 20 soon and is going to have a good chance to do so during the US hardcourt swing. As shown in the image, there are quite a few players who have reached a new career high including:

Hurbert Hurkacz who reached his first ATP 500 quarterfinal only to reach his first ATP Masters 1000 quarterfinal one week later and is looking like he has a good possibility of pushing Federer to his limits and making the top 50 soon.
Felix Auger-Alliasime who is dubbed by many as arguably the best youngster around and has been absolutely phenomenal after his Rio final breakthrough who then made the quarter-final of Sao Paulo only lose to Djere, who he played in the final of Rio, while he also showed his hard court prowess with an exciting round 3 appearance after two phenomenal wins Norrie and Tsitsipas only for his well-fought comeback to be cut short but a next cord down 6-5 in a 3rd set tiebreak. This player will undoubtedly be in the top 20 by the end of the season in my opinion and could easily go far in grand slams next year.
Reilly Opelka recently won his first tournament at the New York Open and is making strides on cracking the top 50.
Mackenzie McDonald has always been a promising player, especially at AO but is starting to gain ranking points from ATP maindraw now and has one of the best volleys on the tour. Could get a decent sponsorship from McDonalds in the future.
Jaume Munar who has been making very good strides in the last year and is a force to be reckoned with during the upcoming clay season. Has had promising results at his recent ATP clay court events.
Matteo Berrettini did well at the 2019 Australian Open with a close first round match with Tsitsipas only to be followed up with a semi-final result at Sofia Open. Top 50 berth to happen this year for sure
Ugo Humbert who has made great progression in his ranking in the last 2 years and the Frenchman is now trying to crack the top 50, could get a pretty good result at the Paris Masters.
Yoshihito Nishioka has made great progression following a serious knee injury and if he was not injury prone, he could be top 35 by now, anyways he can always cause a decent upset when healthy.

There is also good young clay-court players such as Nicolas Jarry who has a career-high ranking of 39 and Christian Garin who is likely to get some good ATP maindraw results during the clay court season while Ruud has finaly made a big breakthrough in ATP clay court events and quickly went from losing in qualifying to losing in the quarter-final or semi-final of the maindraw.

Other players to definitely look out for are Miomir Kecmanovic who has finally made the top 100 after being dubbed as a great youngster for quite a bit of time, looks like his training block with Thiem helped out on how hard he has to work to get where he wants to. There is also Harris who has made the top 100 while Rublev was doing so well until his injury but always has the potential to get back to where he last left off. Sonego and Schnur are also battling a consistent top 100 position as is Mmoh and Ymer who haven't quite lived up to their potential in recent years. Alexei Popyrin who has gone under Lleyton Hewitt's wing like every good behaved Australian tennis player has, put in a great performance at the Australian Open and followed it up with his first Davis Cup. After his Australian Open phanatics, he qualified for 3 of his 4 next tournaments including at Indian Wells where he recorded his first Masters win. There is also Kokkinakis who if he stays injury free could crack the top 100 while Moutet could get close to breaking the top 100 again. On the teenager side of the spectrum, there is Molleker who is a very promising youngster and once he's around 19, he will probably be in the top 100 while Davidoch Fokina still has time to make the top 100.

On players who haven't even graduated school, Luca Nardi is one of the youngest players with ranking points while Jannik Sinner is the highest-ranked 17 year old as he is now in the top 400 while Jack Draper (GBR), Liam Draxl (CAN), Chun Hsin Tseng (TPE) and Brandon Nakashima (USA) are all names to watch out for in the upcoming years.

As you can see there are plenty of players who have/are making/made their mark on the ATP Tour, but the Big 4 is still dominating as Djokovic and Nadal still hold a big grasp on the top 2 as Federer is still in top 5 while Murray had another surgery and could make a miracle comeback. Once they're all no longer a challenge, some of these players are going to be stepping up and replacing them, but let's not forget some random 15 year-old we don't even know could get a wildcard to a professional event in a year and then make top 100 2 years later and eventually win a grand slam.

Yeah we are in a good place with youngsters. There is a different feel to them than Generstion useless.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
while 1995-1999 are NextGen, we should call 2000-2004 generation as "UltraGen" because they are ultra-young and ultra-tall.

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
Yes there are several good prospects but to answer the question if they have "landed"... well it depends on how you define that.

I want NextGen to actually overtake Fedalovic. But I doubt we will ever see that.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
They simple are the best of their generation, nothing really special about them. Fact is that the big 3 where not dethroned by younger generations and never will. It is pointless to even claim that if they start beating them in their late 30s they take their place. Younger players massively failed to challenge them in the big stages like they themselves did vs Sampras, Agassi etc. Sampras lost two consecutive USO finals in 3 sets in the age of 29 and 30 to young Hewitt and Safin. The only young player we saw go all the way and would have chances of challenging the elites would be a fit Delpotro. Still of course they are better than generation useless but do not think they can reach the level of the big 3.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Would like to think i have yes

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
That list seems highly suspect to me. Mine would be: Tsitsipas, Medvedev, Shapovalov, FAA, DeMinaur and Coric.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I agree depends on what landing is taken to be. They are a part of the tour, a pretty big one. Without checking like 7 must be part of the top 20. Adding for a pretty good depth

Still a 38 years old Federer , beaten up Rafa and healthy Novak are superior most of the time, really noticeable.

At their best they are untouchable in talent. Next gen doesn't stand a chance . They could get one or two wins out of 20 matches

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I don't know. They are making strides but I have doubts any combination of them could produce anything close to the Djokovic-Nadal Wimbledon semi-final, which kind of worries me for the future still.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Yes, it has. Not sure where though.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Been following tennis for about half a century. Right back to the likes of Pancho. May make me a bit of an oddity on here.

Can't see anyone current who are good enough to grab the chalice. But for sure one or more of them will get to hold it when the big 3 fall away physically, which is only a matter of time and probably not that much of it.

I don't believe the next 10 plus slam winner is currently playing....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Once I see this next gen actively forcing oldies into retirement sure thing they've "landed". But right now the biggest threat to Fedalovic seems to be the passing of time.

Next gen must achieve more collectively than picking up crumbs around the big table. Zverev's run at ATP finals last year comes to mind as a fresh example.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I stopped reading after OP mentioned Mcdonald
I'm just mentioning him as a player who could do well for himself if he made the 4th round of grand slams more often as he did last year but I'm just saying he is a player who could maybe get a decent ranking in the future.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been following tennis for about half a century. Right back to the likes of Pancho. May make me a bit of an oddity on here.

Can't see anyone current who are good enough to grab the chalice. But for sure one or more of them will get to hold it when the big 3 fall away physically, which is only a matter of time and probably not that much of it.

I don't believe the next 10 plus slam winner is currently playing....
Definitely something I agree with

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Once I see this next gen actively forcing oldies into retirement sure thing they've "landed". But right now the biggest threat to Fedalovic seems to be the passing of time.

Next gen must achieve more collectively than picking up crumbs around the big table. Zverev's run at ATP finals last year comes to mind as a fresh example.
It's more next gen has landed in as we can figure out some of the big names in the future except some of the really younger players which is generally hard to predict. When they overtake Fedalovic, I would start calling it as in they have settled.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts