Mens Tennis Forums banner

Has Nalbandian woken up for real this time?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He won TMC 2005 and many expected him to compete at the top 5 level in 2006. Now he is back and has showed us what he is capable off. He has also improved his serve so it seems he is bit more serious this time around. Will he be more consistent on tour or will his extra-curricular activities still distract him?

I would definitely like him to take tennis more seriously because it is such a pleasure to watch him when he plays like he did this week. What do you think?

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,508 Posts
We'll have to see, but if he has, look out. With the improved serve and apparent new mental toughness that saw him not waver at all against Djokovic, Nadal and Federer, he could be a major handful in 2008

It is a big "if" though.

He deserves to be back in the top 10 causing major problems, though - he's too damn talented to be languishing down in the 20s and losing in R3 of majors. I don't much care for him but I respect his game and you can see the talent he has. It's not too late for him to really turn it on.

·
Registered
10,605 Posts
I would say he did compete at the top 5 level during 2006. He made SF of the AO where he choked against baggy, and then SF of RG where he was crushing Roger before getting injured. He also made semis of the TMC and ended the year in the top 10 (albeit not top 5).

I think he'll be back in the top 10 and possibly even top 5, but I doubt he'll win a slam or be a contender for the number 1, if that's what you mean by "waking up for real".

·
Registered
120 Posts
Look at it this way. Al Bundy is big fat bear. It's almost winter time, so he needs to eat up, big fat wins and all. Then he will go into hibernation and God knows when he will wake up...

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Look at it this way. Al Bundy is big fat bear. It's almost winter time, so he needs to eat up, big fat wins and all. Then he will go into hibernation and God knows when he will wake up...
:haha:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Yeah, no one can tell. He's still at a ripe age to do some of damage at the top of the game, but that's only if he applies himself.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
No

·
Registered
222 Posts
In layman's terms, it is time for him to put up or shut up. If he disappears back into mediocrity, I don't think he'll be able to do this again.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I think it's temporary or sporadic at best. Djokovic did the same but it doesn't say as much from one win. So you never know how Nalbanian will play against a non sloppy Federer but Fed will be aware. I think Federer forgot like many people that Nalbanian is a threat.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I would not give on that
but it is great to have somebody a few times a year who can show such great performance to make tennis fun

·
Registered
23,711 Posts
you never know with Nalbi

·
Registered
727 Posts
Nalbandian was playing like a Top 5 player between the time he won the 05' T.M.C. to the time he withdrew from his 06' French Open semi.

From 06' Wimbledon until the 07' Madrid Masters he's been like a random top 30 player though now hopefully after his great Madrid win he'll be consistently playing as well as he did in beating the Top 3 to take Madrid.

Perhaps he can be a real contender for the Australian Open? I think the French is owned by Nadal and Wimbledon and the U.S. Open by Federer however he could have a real shot at the Australian Open should he maintain his Madrid level.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Possibly. After he and Mauresmo won their respective year-end championships, I predicted great things for them. Mauresmo went on to win TWO Grand Slams and now has faded into the background. Well, Nalbandian has been in the background all year so maybe he's doing the same thing but the opposite way around?

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Jury is out on this. I'm waiting to see what Nalby will do the next 4-5 months.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts