Mens Tennis Forums banner

Has Murray underachieved in his career so far ?

• Yes

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 28 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think Andy Murray has underachieved by only winning two grand slams in his career so far ? If he continues his decline I would say he has underachieved as he could of easily had 2 more slams to his name currently, with his current form he may only end up with two slams in his whole career.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Do you think Andy Murray has underachieved by only winning two grand slams in his career so far ? If he continues his decline I would say he has underachieved as he could of easily had 2 more slams to his name currently, with his current form he may only end up with two slams in his whole career.
Yes, because if you put that talent and work ethic into any other era he'd have 6 or 7 slams by now. Psychological issues and the supernatural consistency of his peers held him back. He deserves to be considered in the Becker/Edberg bracket of greatness, as opposed to the Lleyton Hewitt one, and everybody with a brain knows it.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
He could of won 1 or 2 more if he'd won one of his first 4 finals but it's hard to say a guy who broke a 76 year grand slam drought and a 77 year Wimbledon drought has underachived, he's going to the Hall of Fame if he retires tomorrow.

That Wimbledon win is historic and could be another 77 years before another Brit does it.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
When I think of underachieving I think of guys like Nalbandian who squandered their talent of their own volition. Murray, on the other hand, has had an excellent work ethic his whole career and has got just about as much as he could out of his career at this point. Maybe he could've won an additional slam with a better mentality, but most of the time he's been prevented by external forces.

·
Registered
83 Posts
He's not someone who comes to mind.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
He is only that good in reality.

Even though he's been included in the BIG 4, he is So close but So far from the other BIG 2.5.

I think he will win 2 or 3 more slams before he retires.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
He definitely hasn't overachieved in terms of career but it might be unfair to say he underachieved given he's been handcuffed by the big 3 his whole career.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
He has, he has bent over to Nadal so many times and choked substantial leads to Djokovic on way too many occasions.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I wouldn't say so. Yes, he could have won four Slams, but he could have just as easily won zero. He's not in a GOAT discussion, so 1-2 more Slams is really only icing on the cake. So at worst, he's left some delicious icing on the table. But that's it.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
He has, he has bent over to Nadal so many times and choked substantial leads to Djokovic on way too many occasions.
:lol: nadal has always been the better player and since 2011 nole has seperated himself so he's right where he should be. He possibly could win one more though.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
:lol: nadal has always been the better player and since 2011 nole has seperated himself so he's right where he should be. He possibly could win one more though.
Choking away championship points in Shanghai is choking away championship points, I don't see anything wrong in my earlier message.

I don't think he underachieved at majors, he certainly did at the ATP level though.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Murray has been lucky to get his two slams in the period of Fedal's lowest level of play. Luckiest player in existence

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Choking away championship points in Shanghai is choking away championship points, I don't see anything wrong in my earlier message.

I don't think he underachieved at majors, he certainly did at the ATP level though.
Everyody chokes except for dull he never seems to also I don't remember him choking any other time to djokovic.

I wouldn't say he under achieved at tour level but he could have performed a lot better over the years but it's tough when you're not great on clay and you're fighting djokovic federer and nadal for hc tournaments.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Murray has been lucky to get his two slams in the period of Fedal's lowest level of play. Luckiest player in existence
Yes he was so lucky that every single final he's played has been against the world number one, or the about-to-be-number-one.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Consider the fact that Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic had to play Philippoussis, Puerta, and Tsonga to win their first GS respectively. That got the monkey off their backs. Murray never got that break. Like them he beat a higher ranked player in the semis, but then instead of getting a relatively mediocre player in the final, he got the greatest hardcourter of all time at the peak of his career. How is that lucky? I'd love to know.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts