Mens Tennis Forums banner

Is Monte Carlo finally becoming a decent tournament?

• Yes, last couple of years were far better!

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • No, it's still as boring as ever!

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • MC is great! That it is non-mendatory is purely coincidental!

Votes: 18 48.6%

Has Monte Carlo redeemed itself as a tournament?

2K views 34 replies 25 participants last post by  Roy Emerson 
#1 · (Edited)
Let's face it, nobody took Mickey Carlo seriously until the last couple of years. In terms of prestige, it was in Acapulco's league, barely. Here's why:

1- Non mandatory event. Many players don't even bother to come, like Fed or the American armada.

2- Same winner for nearly a decade. Even Dulltards have to admit it's boring.

3- Players beginning their clay campaign result in non-memorable, low quality matches.

But the last couple of years, we got exciting, memorable matches (Dimitrov-Nadal, Nadal-Djokovic in 2013, Fed-Tsonga, Nadal-Ferrer, Djokovic-GGL in 2014), AND the winner is in doubt.
As further proof, Fed has even bothered to come this year! Cleary Mickey Carlo is becoming Monte Carlo again!

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: your_valentine
#3 ·
Any of the remaining players winning it is better than another Dull win though!

#4 ·
Before QFs though it was all Bakery Competitions than competitive tennis matches. So many blowouts, that while it is good to see them once in a while had been so many in this competition. That said the QFs have been TV gold personally with Wawrinka/Raonic (would Stan get to another SF again and how would Raonic fare), Ferrer/Nadal (awesome Ferrer determination now manifesting against a Big player), Federer/Tsonga (seeing Tsonga playing well relatively again is nice to see although the last Set breadstick was a bad ending when it could've been tighter) and the surprise GGL/Djokovic (which brought drama just 10 minutes in the match). I hope the Semis deliver with this new possibility of a new champion for MC.

#7 ·
Indeed. I never said it became a prestigious M1000. The legacy of Mickey Carlo can't just vanish just like that!

It's just actually a tournament worth watching for once.

#6 ·
1- Non mandatory event. Many players don't even bother to come, like Fed or the American armada.
Nonsensical Fedtard argument. Federer played the tournament eleven times and Roddick or Isner being absent is completely irrelevant, none of the other top players capable on clay ever skip it.
2- Same winner for nearly a decade. Even Dulltards have to admit it's boring.
Nonsensical Fedtard argument, Nadal is the greatest player on a specific surface of all time.

3- Players beginning their clay campaign result in non-memorable, low quality matches.
Nonsensical classic MTF short term memory argument.

#8 ·
Nonsensical Fedtard argument. Federer played the tournament eleven times and Roddick or Isner being absent is completely irrelevant, none of the other top players capable on clay ever skip it. Nonsensical Fedtard argument, Nadal is the greatest player on a specific surface of all time.

Nonsensical classic MTF short term memory argument.
"I can't handle the facts! Please, please Fed fordawin, don't tell me this tournament Ferrer has been good at is a second-tier playground! :bigcry:"

#10 ·
"Boohoo, I can't handle Federer being unable to win the most prestigious Masters event, so I make up lies to try and talk down the tournament" :wavey:

#13 ·
My thoughts are, that you talk BS.
1. It's non-mandatory still the draw is normally as good as in any other Masters. Americans on clay in last couple of years were totally useless. So it doesn't matter at all, when these losers didn't show up for loosing in first round.

2. So Wimbledon aswell boring because Federer won it 7times? I don't like dull at all, but actually he played his best performances at Monaco with Roland Garros. So it is more a sign of quality.

3. totally subjective. Australian Open is also at the start of season. Still I think the quality is better than at US Open.

Monaco is fine

#15 ·
:facepalm:

Montecarlo has been always a good tournament. Bad TMS are Madrid or empty stands Shanghai, not Montecarlo. You can`t define a TMS only for his winners, and it`s that the case, Nadal is the clay GOAT so What`s your point?

#20 ·
Incredibly ignorant post! Nadal won there, competing against most of the top players, just as many top players that compete in the mandatory events. He was just a superior clay court player than either: Federer, Novak, Murray, Ferrer, Tsonga, Berdych, etc.. Perhaps now, Rafa is losing some of his edge on clay.

#21 ·
Rafa loses early and Fed makes it further than him for the first time in a decade, and Fedtards declare former Mickey Carlo as the most important tournament in the world. That was quick :lol:

:stupid:

#29 ·
Evidently wrong. Many Dulltards in denial here! :spit:
Dulltards treasuring the days when Dull beat Ferrer or Verdasco 60 61 in the final, saying it's the best clay tournament! :superlol:

To make things clear: even if Djokovic beats Fed, my opinion is unchanged! MC was better last year even though Fed didn't participate!

#28 ·
Gosh I wish Nose retires soon so MC doesn't have to suffer the shame of having to dangle a WC for Olderer. MC is my co-favorite tournament along with RG. Even though Dull has won it for eternity I never get bored watching this tournament. If only MC was like Dubai and buy this geezer to commit to play the tourney.

#30 ·
Surprised this thread still exists after the OP got completely exposed, would've expected him to have it deleted :eek:

#31 ·
Check the poll results, and feel the power of democracy! :cool:

#33 ·
So, Fed/ Wawrinka final, eh? Only the most rabid tards will deny that this is the most exicting final in years, and a vast improvement for this second-tier tournament!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.