Mens Tennis Forums banner

Is Monte Carlo finally becoming a decent tournament?

• Yes, last couple of years were far better!

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • No, it's still as boring as ever!

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • MC is great! That it is non-mendatory is purely coincidental!

Votes: 18 48.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let's face it, nobody took Mickey Carlo seriously until the last couple of years. In terms of prestige, it was in Acapulco's league, barely. Here's why:

1- Non mandatory event. Many players don't even bother to come, like Fed or the American armada.

2- Same winner for nearly a decade. Even Dulltards have to admit it's boring.

3- Players beginning their clay campaign result in non-memorable, low quality matches.

But the last couple of years, we got exciting, memorable matches (Dimitrov-Nadal, Nadal-Djokovic in 2013, Fed-Tsonga, Nadal-Ferrer, Djokovic-GGL in 2014), AND the winner is in doubt.
As further proof, Fed has even bothered to come this year! Cleary Mickey Carlo is becoming Monte Carlo again!

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
23,063 Posts
Before QFs though it was all Bakery Competitions than competitive tennis matches. So many blowouts, that while it is good to see them once in a while had been so many in this competition. That said the QFs have been TV gold personally with Wawrinka/Raonic (would Stan get to another SF again and how would Raonic fare), Ferrer/Nadal (awesome Ferrer determination now manifesting against a Big player), Federer/Tsonga (seeing Tsonga playing well relatively again is nice to see although the last Set breadstick was a bad ending when it could've been tighter) and the surprise GGL/Djokovic (which brought drama just 10 minutes in the match). I hope the Semis deliver with this new possibility of a new champion for MC.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
1- Non mandatory event. Many players don't even bother to come, like Fed or the American armada.
Nonsensical Fedtard argument. Federer played the tournament eleven times and Roddick or Isner being absent is completely irrelevant, none of the other top players capable on clay ever skip it.
Nonsensical Fedtard argument, Nadal is the greatest player on a specific surface of all time.

3- Players beginning their clay campaign result in non-memorable, low quality matches.
Nonsensical classic MTF short term memory argument.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before QFs though it was all Bakery Competitions than competitive tennis matches. So many blowouts, that while it is good to see them once in a while had been so many in this competition. That said the QFs have been TV gold personally with Wawrinka/Raonic (would Stan get to another SF again and how would Raonic fare), Ferrer/Nadal (awesome Ferrer determination now manifesting against a Big player), Federer/Tsonga (seeing Tsonga playing well relatively again is nice to see although the last Set breadstick was a bad ending when it could've been tighter) and the surprise GGL/Djokovic (which brought drama just 10 minutes in the match). I hope the Semis deliver with this new possibility of a new champion for MC.
Indeed. I never said it became a prestigious M1000. The legacy of Mickey Carlo can't just vanish just like that!

It's just actually a tournament worth watching for once.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nonsensical Fedtard argument. Federer played the tournament eleven times and Roddick or Isner being absent is completely irrelevant, none of the other top players capable on clay ever skip it. Nonsensical Fedtard argument, Nadal is the greatest player on a specific surface of all time.

Nonsensical classic MTF short term memory argument.
"I can't handle the facts! Please, please Fed fordawin, don't tell me this tournament Ferrer has been good at is a second-tier playground! :bigcry:"

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
"I can't handle the facts! Please, please Fed fordawin, don't tell me this tournament Ferrer has been good at is a second-tier playground! :bigcry:"
"Boohoo, I can't handle Federer being unable to win the most prestigious Masters event, so I make up lies to try and talk down the tournament" :wavey:

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Boohoo, I can't handle Federer being unable to win the most prestigious Masters event, so I make up lies to try and talk down the tournament" :wavey:
Sure thing. MC being non mandatory is a lie, many top players not coming is a lie, repetitive result over the years is a lie... :worship:

I'll just be patient and wait for Ferrer to get destroyed by a proper tennis player, and then you'll make your amend and agree with me! :cool:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Let's face it, nobody took Mickey Carlo seriously until the last couple of years. In terms of prestige, it was in Acapulco's league, barely. Here's why:

But the last couple of years, we got exciting, memorable matches (Dimitrov-Nadal, Nadal-Djokovic in 2013, Fed-Tsonga, Nadal-Ferrer, Djokovic-GGL in 2014), AND the winner is in doubt.
As further proof, Fed has even bothered to come this year! Cleary Mickey Carlo is becoming Monte Carlo again!

What are your thoughts?
My thoughts are, that you talk BS.
1. It's non-mandatory still the draw is normally as good as in any other Masters. Americans on clay in last couple of years were totally useless. So it doesn't matter at all, when these losers didn't show up for loosing in first round.

2. So Wimbledon aswell boring because Federer won it 7times? I don't like dull at all, but actually he played his best performances at Monaco with Roland Garros. So it is more a sign of quality.

3. totally subjective. Australian Open is also at the start of season. Still I think the quality is better than at US Open.

Monaco is fine

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
Sure thing. MC being non mandatory is a lie, many top players not coming is a lie, repetitive result over the years is a lie... :worship:

I'll just be patient and wait for Ferrer to get destroyed by a proper tennis player, and then you'll make your amend and agree with me! :cool:
Many top players not coming is a lie, yes.

Actually, the fact that the field is the same as in the other Masters makes Monte Carlo even more prestigious, since you know the players really want to play and not just because they have to :eek:

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
:facepalm:

Montecarlo has been always a good tournament. Bad TMS are Madrid or empty stands Shanghai, not Montecarlo. You can`t define a TMS only for his winners, and it`s that the case, Nadal is the clay GOAT so What`s your point?

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
Pathetic fed tards hating on one of the most prestigious tournaments in Tennis history... an event that's more prestigious than some of the events Fed has won in his career multiple times.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Gotta laugh when people bring up the non-mandatory status. And even without the ATP enforcing commitment pretty much every top player plays it.

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
Monte Carlo has a great history but being won 8 times by a deplorable cheat has damaged its reputation. Dull losing is the first step on its road to redemption, but it will take more.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts

What are your thoughts?
Incredibly ignorant post! Nadal won there, competing against most of the top players, just as many top players that compete in the mandatory events. He was just a superior clay court player than either: Federer, Novak, Murray, Ferrer, Tsonga, Berdych, etc.. Perhaps now, Rafa is losing some of his edge on clay.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts