Mens Tennis Forums banner

Has Djokovic's year been a failure?

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Obviously the pandemic complicated things, giving him no shot of Olympic Gold and he would've fancied himself for the Wimbledon title too. The biggest failure is having won just 1 slam when he and everyone else would've likely expected a minimum of 2. Yet he'll also finish YE #1, will add to his weeks at #1, has won a couple of Masters, including completing the double Golden Masters.

The year isn't over yet, but if he wins the ATP Finals, I think he can be pretty satisfied with his year considering the circumstances. His only disappointment, albeit a big one, would be missing out on the USO, as Nadal owns RG. Having said that, the missed opportunity to complete the DCGS no doubt hurts.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
he won a slam and two masters, doesnt sound like a failure to me

Reactions: hecto and Rik1001

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Other than his default, his year has been good. Won AO,Cincy, RG final as he’s def not ever beating Dull there.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
It's a combinations of several factors, his stupidity, the pandemic, Goran Ivanisevic...

In short, him openly saying he is going for the slam record has added unnecessary pressure, then Wimbledon cancellation probably lead to more discomfort and possibly even resulted in in the default out of frustration.

Actually, if he losses the AO i think he is done winning slams.

2020 is a failure but not all his own doing. Tennis records are heavily asterisked from now on.

·
Registered
131 Posts
He can finish #1 and get the record from Fed, but it's been catastrophic in terms of the GS count, which is most important to him. Plus the Covid Open and the public hit to his image. He has a chance to flip the script and go from villain to hero, as fans love a good comeback story, but there will be so much pressure on him in AO21 and everyone will be gunning for him. Nadal and Feds will be under the radar for both AO and Wimby, with nobody expecting anything. If Djoker wins AO21, then he's back on track, but still 2 slams behind. Therefore 2020 is an unmitigated failure because of swatting a ball a few inches in the wrong place and catching a peaking Rafa on PC on the last Sunday. And AO21 doesn't count towards 2020. No other way to slice this other than YE #1.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Keeps going #1 and overtaking Fed there and won a slam to add on to his record in his quest for GOAT. . Sounds like a fine year to me. I think he'll manage 2 slams next year. And tie or break the record in 2022 depending on whether or not Nadal takes the GOAT mantle next year which its looking likely

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
In terms of Federer Djokovic and Nadal Big 3 tinted glasses.

In terms of tennis in general, heck no! He won a slam and will probably surpass Federer for #1 weeks.

·
Administrator | Wikidrawbot
9,732 Posts
If that season is a failure 99% of all seasons by any player in the history are that as well. Failure means lack of succeeding, as pointed out by many he had several things to cheer for. If anything this year makes it a bigger challenge for Djokovic, something you really love to take as athlete. Let alone Djokovic, as he’s the only man who had the will to match Fedal’s records several years ago

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
For a player that only lost 1 match and only has a slam and 2 masters to date could be a good season for a normal player.
For a top player like Nole, Rafa or Federer its a let down. Even more after the a55 kicking he got yesterday.
Ye#1 is still in sight but he should have more.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
He won the major he was expected to win and lost the one that he wasn't expected to win. I think even making the RG final after his DQ in New York was a great effort. People were foolish to write of Rafa on his home court even with the different conditions and Nadal's lack of games.

Obviously the DQ was a huge blow. It was an unfortunate incident and had the ball hit the line umpire anywhere else than her throat (with the exception of her face) maybe he would be sitting on 18 Grand Slams now.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
The year is not over yet. But so far,

Gaining 52 weeks as No.1, almost certain to surpass Fed. Big achievement.

In terms of Slam race, could have been 18, but keeping the distance with Rafa, getting 1 closer to Roger, with much less tear and wear than normal years. It's not a failure if you ask me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I marked failure because of his outside antics. The anti-vax comment, the Adria Tour open without social distancing where a good amount of the young players left with COVID, the default and injury to the lineswoman, yesterday's beatdown and his inability to not yell at a ball boy/hit a ball hard backwards, his fixation on his player's association during the USO...

So many things made him very difficult to stomach this year. He was a disgrace to tennis this year, and I don't think he's been forced to reconcile with this actions and take accountability. He deserved that beatdown yesterday, and he got it. I really want more from the number one throughout the remainder of the year and moving forward.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Indubitably. He was the huge favourite for three slams (Wimbledon, Australian Open and the US Open) and only won one of them. The French was also set up perfectly for double career slam with the roof and weather conditions, but his own choking and a good Tsitsipas put paid to that in the semis, leaving him cooked in the final. He's added more weeks at one, but even that has been hit by the Covid hiatus.It also doesn't help him that the Olympics has been pushed back at least a year when common sense tells you he'll be more vulnerable. A WTF victory, more weeks at one and the year end number would give his year more shine.

The big victors this year are Nadal, and Fed who both escaped the expected big leap in the slam race from Djoker this year. Oh, and Thiem for his victory.

Reactions: Anyonefortennis1

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Won 1 slam and reached a final in the other (losing to the guy that is almost unbeatable). Impossible to say this was a failure, especially considering he was disqualified in one and the other one was suspended. Basically did as good as he could do in those 2 slams. He was unlucky because he would have won Wimbledon 90% if it was played, and the USO if it wasn't for that disqualification.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Heck yeah it’s a failure...anyone who says it’s not is smoking with Agassi...

Dude wins Australia, which he always does. Can’t win Wimbledon & screwed up his shot at the US Open. So now he is one year older and not closer to Rafa. It’s 100% a successful year for Rafa that he held serve* (pun intended), and tied Roger and gave no ground to Novak.

Djoker has to win minimum 2 slams next year in AO & SW19. If he doesn’t win 2 slams next year his goose is cooked, and he will never catch the GOAT. Because even if he does win those two, then Rafa will win RG & Novak only gains 1 and is still two back. I still consider Rafa to be the favorite at the US Open

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I don't think was good year as he is fatigued whole year. He focused on masters than slams and was lucky to win AO from last year's form.

·
Registered
974 Posts
He’s disappointing because he has great talent but has little emotional intelligence. People won’t give him Slam titles so easily if he acts so lazy and nonchalant. Too much celebrating, and ignorance regarding charity work and education about COVID, etc. Just because he’s a genius athlete doesn’t mean he shouldn’t feel stupid or shame about his stupid decisions. He shouldn’t stop learning.
He should not be acting like he’s 3 years old and crawling into a shell when he doesn’t feel like playing hard.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts