Mens Tennis Forums banner
21 - 40 of 139 Posts

·
F***ing have it
17,924 Posts
No. 1 is about consistency. If Dani gets it, well done, he deserve it. Not his fault If Nole choses not to play for at least three months and the russian gets the no. 1. Nole is gonna be the player of the year, sure.

No. 1 rewards and celebrates your consistency. Hingis 2000, Wozniacki 2009. And i am talking about slamless players in those years. Dani got one. Best of the year <> more consistent player of the year. Looks prettier when they are equal, sure.

I guess the fuss is about the record year end no. 1

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
I think Danil said something along the lines of: St. Pete is played in the same week as Vienna. I don't intend to play that week at all, but if I do, it would be there and not in Vienna.

·
Your visions will happen
54,001 Posts
To add to that, Zverev should also be taken into consideration if he wins IW. He is scheduled to play both Vienna and Stockholm, on top of Paris and WTF. Tsitsi-Zverev potential SF in IW could decide who remains in the race for YE #1 (tho Zverev would probably need Novak to win basically no points and for Danil to do poorly for the rest of the year.)
Hilarious. Medvedvev, Tstsipas, and Zverev are STILL in the running.

At least, Diego Schwartzman has been eliminated.
So I did the Zverev numbers and if he wins IW, Antwerp, Vienna, Paris, Stockholm, and YEC, he can get to 9955, which is higher than Nole's 9940 if he skips rest of season

Of course to achieve those results would be absurd, but still possible mathematically

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
In my book he has, and I hope he will. Three slams and one match away from the Grand Slam. By far the player of the year.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
So I did the Zverev numbers and if he wins IW, Antwerp, Vienna, Paris, Stockholm, and YEC, he can get to 9955, which is higher than Nole's 9940 if he skips rest of season

Of course to achieve those results would be absurd, but still possible mathematically
Yeah, but in the race he "only" needs IW, Paris and WTF to have 8415, which is higher than Novak's 8370. And he has another 1000 points in Antwerp/Moscow, Vienna and Stockholm to make up for any slipups.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The reality is that 353 weeks at #1 is almost a guarantee now assuming Medvedev/Tsitsipas/Zverev stick to their remaining schedules and don't add anything else. If Tsitsipas loses in IW, 353 is a lock.

That'd leave YE #1 as the only thing that's still unresolved.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
No, I guess he'll skip rest of the season
And it won't be too hard for Med to win 1900 pts, he can win a 250, then he only needs another 1650 pts in Paris and Turin, so if he wins one of them, then he has a good chance

·
Premium Member
29,776 Posts
So I did the Zverev numbers and if he wins IW, Antwerp, Vienna, Paris, Stockholm
Then he'll be utterly exhausted come YEC. Don't see him playing that many events in a row, so close to each other.

And I still expect Djokovic to play Paris + YEC and doing well in them, at least reach both finals (without Thiem and only Zverev/Medvedev as competition indoors currently).

·
Registered
510 Posts
Realistically Djokovic is gonna play in Paris and ATP Finals and go far in both, SF at least - that makes it highly unlikely for Medvedev (or Tsitsipas) to pass him this year.

Medvedev's only realistic chance at #1 this year was winning IW or making it to the finals at least, which he failed to do.

Medvedev has been a bit inconsistent this year, losing very early in a lot of big non-GS tournaments (during 1st half of the year), thus costing him a lot of points.

Djokovic to easily pass 400 weeks as #1, with 500 very much within reach too in the coming years as long as he remains healthy.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
After IW there are 2,000 points available before Turin, and 1,500 at Turin.
Tsitispas has a potential further 820 points at IW, so if he wins IW, he is exactly equal 2nd!

Current Race:
Djoković 8370
Medvedev 6470
Tsitsipas 5650

So Djokovic has a 1900 point lead, so either Medvedv or Tsitsipas would have to win every possible point from here to Turin to be #1 at the begining of Turin.
Since Medvedev is not down for Geneva or Stockholm, the most he can achieve from here is 1250 unless he can get a wild card. Tsitsipas misses two 250s, so even if he wins IW and Vienna and Paris.

So for either of them to be year end #1, they have to win it in Turin, which means that if Djokovic is there, they have to outperform him. In most likely they would need to win Turin.

·
Premium Member
29,776 Posts
Tsitispas has a potential further 820 points at IW, so if he wins IW, he is exactly equal 2nd!

Current Race:
Djoković 8370
Medvedev 6470
Tsitsipas 5650

So Djokovic has a 1900 point lead, so either Medvedv or Tsitsipas would have to win every possible point from here to Turin to be #1 at the begining of Turin.
Since Medvedev is not down for Geneva or Stockholm, the most he can achieve from here is 1250 unless he can get a wild card. Tsitsipas misses two 250s, so even if he wins IW and Vienna and Paris.

So for either of them to be year end #1, they have to win it in Turin, which means that if Djokovic is there, they have to outperform him. In most likely they would need to win Turin.
Gonna be demanding, but I don't see Tsitsipas beating Djokovic indoors, based on their match-up on HC and the one match they played there 2 years ago.
It will be among Zverev, Medvedev and Djokovic for the Turin title. Gonna be tough for Djokovic if he needs to beat Zverev in semis and Medvedev in the final... though reaching the final could be a realistic goal even then.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
All Djokovic needs is to win Paris to clinch YE #1. He can also make a Paris final and win 2 RR matches to clinch YE #1, although this particular scenario is assuming they all stick to their remaining schedules and don't add any other event.

There's also nothing Medvedev can do to add any weeks at #1 this year unless he adds another event to his schedule, like Vienna, for instance (which he already said he won't).

·
Registered
25 Posts

Current Race:
Djoković 8370
Medvedev 6470
Tsitsipas 5650
This year between race and rank there are many differences. See the official rankings. By the end of the year, the points in the Medvedev rankings will be dropped
ATP Nitto - 1500
ATP 1000 Paris - 1000
ATP 1000 Shanghai - 1000
ATP 500 Vienna - 90
ATP 250 St. Petersburg - 45

·
Registered
293 Posts
nole will be on the official list before the end of the year in front of medvedev for sure. he has 1900 points advantage on the race list and 1000 points more than medvedev from 2019 and 2020, which expires in 2022. As for the YE # 1 title, it is necessary that what Medvedev loses to win plus what nole wins at the end of the year goes to 850 points so that nole ends up in front of him. As for tsisipas, we will see after his performance at IW how it is.

·
Registered
106 Posts
What will happen if we have 2 different number 1? I guess, there is a possibility that, number 1 of the race and ranking can be different. Who will be number one? Who is gonna finish the year as a number 1? If these two are different, what is gonna happen?

·
Registered
799 Posts
The mathematics says that it is possible if they win it all. I would say that - this is again the old situation with Djokovic who has accumulated many points from playing incredible tennis and after US Open just stops and rest for the next season while watching the other ones "broke" their legs for the year ending. This has happened to Murray - we all know how it ended. It was the case with Nadal where he laterally pressurized his body to finish with just a few points ahead of the Serbian and of course he was tired at the start of next year. It has happened with Federer who was chasing him everywhere in 2015 and finally got broken after 2016 semifinal. To win so many tournaments is a physically and emotionally very hard and it can have effects over the body and the mental state of the player. Thiem played too much tennis in my opinion and it ended in mental burnt-out and injuries. I hope he recovers well but a player should think about the long-run tennis is - like a marathon. Djokovic is a player who is very well organized in that matter - especially when he is not 26-28 anymore. He doesn't go for the records all the time - he chooses very carefully his peak times. In fact in 2021 he has played less than anybody else but with a big concentration where it matters the most.

·
Registered
14,407 Posts

I think I will wait for the conclusion of IW to do another math. By then the final lineup of Moscow/Antwerp will be locked as well, so we can get more precise numbers.

But Zverev's schedule looks a bit suicidal and it borders Murray'16 level. He signed to play in Stockholm (between Paris and WTF) o_O

Reactions: Johnny Groove

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Djokovic deserves it: three slams and a final as well as the Olympic semis. When you've done that in the five biggest events you deserve it imo; even if it was somewhat overshadowed by the results of the last two of the five events. If he lost in Australia and Paris and won the last three events nobody would be arguing.
I'll say this though: he's unlikely to get #1 in future years unless he plays more. It's very difficult to just win slams and not much else.

·
Registered
209 Posts

You are forgeting that the year end number 1 is based on 2021 points ONLY. Difference now is 1900 between Novak and Danil, and its enough if Medvedev gains 1905 more till the end of the year to become YE No1. Djokovic can still be number 1 player in the rankngs though because of covid 2020 points stll being counted.

21 - 40 of 139 Posts