Mens Tennis Forums banner

Has Berdych Declined?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think he really declined. His serve is gone. No more free points on 1st serve. Can't hit BH DTL properly.
But he is N5 in Race to London.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think he really declined. His serve is gone. No more free points on 1st serve. Can't hit BH DTL properly.
Absolutely. Is this even worth discussing? (No offence meant OP).

The last four places in the WTFs generally mean very little. I mean someone has to make up the numbers.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Lol obviously he has declined, the guy is a shadow of the player he used to be. Can't even get past the early rounds of most slams these days.

·
Registered
904 Posts
He wasn't someone who's decline would affect the sport, he's just a twitter bend-over for Rafito.

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
That only shows still how weak the current ATP field is.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Yeah what's up with the serve? It was still potent at the AO, something happened between AO and FO for it to decline that much.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Folks here were talking about a fantastic form of Berdych at the start of the season.

Now he's declined..

·
23,063 Posts
Folks here were talking about a fantastic form of Berdych at the start of the season.

Now he's declined..
I agree here -- many thought he was a dark horse on AO, not being broken until against Ferrer, in which even then he only got broken in the 3rd Set I think. I think he is just in a funk, in which after AO he lost early on IW, then exited with alleged diarrhea on Miami, then didn't have a good Clay season in general I think. That being said, I think by this time in the year I think he has done better on some events from what I know...

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
I agree with Dave_92 and zjtennis. Berdych has not declined despite the fact that he is obviously past his prime. He can still play in a good level. He started the year very well but then he started a bad streak of results, but I expect to see him get better in the hard court season this summer.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
Berdych is the perfect example of a top tier steady eddy. No threat to win anything big but will get good results throughout the year. Whether he has declined or not is irrelevant.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Every player has ups and downs. He could do well at the USO so it's too early to tell IMO.

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
I agree with Dave_92 and zjtennis. Berdych has not declined despite the fact that he is obviously past his prime. He can still play in a good level. He started the year very well but then he started a bad streak of results, but I expect to see him get better in the hard court season this summer.
There is no such thing as "starting a bad streak of results", you cannot start it, it comes with your general level, either you are able to beat your R16, QF opponents in a slam or you aren't.
Even clay is not Berdych's fave surface and he did not do well on grass in recent years (2011-) as he supposed to, his results are a bit alarming. Especially the way how he lost those matches.

Cilic could have been in a GOAT form, Berdych should have been a better grass player as he was before 2011. Now that's a very embarassing way to lose here at SW19.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Lol obviously he has declined, the guy is a shadow of the player he used to be. Can't even get past the early rounds of most slams these days.
'of most slams', are you on drugs? Berdych made SF in Melbourne and QF at RG, how is that not getting past the early rounds?
Some people :rolleyes:

But yes, somehow he really has declined since the AO. Might just be a blip of form, but considering Berdych is turning 29 this year, his peak is surely behind him. Similar to Tsonga, it can only get downhill for him now.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
No, but he had a shitty grass season for sure.

QF of Queens (as the top seed) and R3 of Wimbledon (as a #5-8 seed), 4-2 overall. Terrible.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Bad news for Rafa

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
declined based on what? I haven't watch a lot of tennis lately but he is still getting to the latter parts of slams.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts