Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Outside slams for sure, Nalbandian beat top 3 seeds(big 3) to win Madrid 2007, probably not in a slam but I haven't checked.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Djokovic to win Montreal 2007, beat Roddick, Nadal, Federer in succession from QF to title, they were ranked 3rd, 2nd and 1st at that time, respectively.

It didn't happen in slams in recent history as far as I know. Whoever got title outside big 3, didn't beat best 3 ranked players in the same tournament. Correct me if I'm wrong, I might be missing smtn.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
Djokovic to win Montreal 2007, beat Roddick, Nadal, Federer in succession from QF to title, they were ranked 3rd, 2nd and 1st at that time, respectively.

It didn't happen in slams in recent history as far as I know. Whoever got title outside big 3, didn't beat best 3 ranked players in the same tournament. Correct me if I'm wrong, I might be missing smtn.
Montreal's incorrect. Djokovic himself was ranked #3. Roddick was ranked #5.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
Nalbandian Madrid may be the only one? I don't think Becker has such a run either.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
Adriano Panatta @ Florence 1980

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
nalbandian beat Federer Nadal and Djokovic in the same tournament i think?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Montreal's incorrect. Djokovic himself was ranked #3. Roddick was ranked #5.
From what I gathered novak was the 3rd seed, but roddick was the 3rd in the rankings

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
From what I gathered novak was the 3rd seed, but roddick was the 3rd in the rankings
That is correct, I remember that it was a big deal for Novak at that point.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
Ah, I see now. When the draw/entry list was made Djokovic was #3 in the rankings and hence got the 3rd seed, but he had dropped to #4 (behind Roddick) for the week/duration of that tournament. With the W he then bounced back to #3 past Roddick. So he beat the at that time 3 top ranked players.

Becker I didn't catch earlier. But IINM Panatta also did it in 1980. Let me double check. Yeah, Panatta beat the top 3 seeds, but in a ATP250. The #1 seed was ranked #18 in the world at that time. So the better Q would be if someone has ever beaten the at that time top 3 ranked (instead of seeded) players. And the answer apparently is Djokovic, Nalbandian and Becker.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Very unfair for Rafa, Roger and Nole, since they have been ranked in the top 3 for so long, so they can´t help to beat themselves to win a title lol

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Unbelievable how already good he was at age 21. I enjoyed watching it again and thank you for posting it! Crazy if you think that just 13 years later he is the GOAT. He was already dropshotting back then and it was a killershot. His FH is back at the 2007-2008 level and he's dictating with it, nice to see that he still has it after so many years without such a big FH. Also we see a glimpse at the 12 minute mark of why 40-15er became known as 40-15er and why Djokovic become known as to have a killer instinct and become the records breaker he is today!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts

BH passing shot masterclass from Boris

In another area, Boris' great performance in 1986 when he made the tricontinental in 3 weeks.

It seems to me that Lendl also did something similar, it must be said that at the time, the ATP automatically designated tournaments for players to play under penalty of sanction .. without always taking into account geographical constraints ...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Unbelievable how already good he was at age 21. I enjoyed watching it again and thank you for posting it! Crazy if you think that just 13 years later he is the GOAT. He was already dropshotting back then and it was a killershot. His FH is back at the 2007-2008 level and he's dictating with it, nice to see that he still has it after so many years without such a big FH. Also we see a glimpse at the 12 minute mark of why 40-15er became known as 40-15er and why Djokovic become known as to have a killer instinct and become the records breaker he is today!
I believe his FH became more accurate and precise but slightly less powerful since he started to work with boris(and of course he changed his technique through the years bit by bit, the serve, the FH...), during the late 2016 to mid 2018 it became a pretty weak shot, and even in recent years he still struggles to hit through slow courts like he did before(seems pretty potent in this RG though, so far at least). Too bad the 2009-10 period hindered him, he was rising fast in 2007-2008.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts