Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This scenario can happen in Indian Wells/Miami, Madrid/Rome, and Canada/Cincinnati. It's a response to Donald Young's possibly playing his way into this situation.

While he was playing at DC, the Cincy wildcards were announced and Young didn't get it. He made the DC semifinals earning a SE to Toronto. He won his first Toronto match today. The Cincy QD comes out on Friday and play begins on Saturday. At this point only Young and Kyrgios are in the Cincy QD that are still playing in Toronto.

Has something like this happened before?

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
not that I recall recently but there's a (very) remote chance as he would have to reach his first semis in a MS

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be weird if Kyrgios and Young make the semi-finals; there is officially only one SE spot for Cincinnati.
If they faced each other in the SF, Young gets the SE since he's ranked 50 and Kyrgios is at 65. However they would care about making their first M1000 final more than Cincy.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Young is going home in the next round so I doubt it

·
Registered
9,716 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Have they changed the SE rule by the way?

I remember when SE would only count for the same tier of tournament, like u would only get an SE for a 500 if u reach a 500 semis the prior week (same for masters and 250). I have this memory that at some stage even someone was supposed to play qualies for a 250 tourney a week after a masters, he made the semis of a 500 tourney and they wouldnt allow him the SE for next week because it wasnt the same tier, or am I just hallucinating? :wavey:

·
Banned
12,122 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Have they changed the SE rule by the way?

I remember when SE would only count for the same tier of tournament, like u would only get an SE for a 500 if u reach a 500 semis the prior week (same for masters and 250). I have this memory that at some stage even someone was supposed to play qualies for a 250 tourney a week after a masters, he made the semis of a 500 tourney and they wouldnt allow him the SE for next week because it wasnt the same tier, or am I just hallucinating? :wavey:
Then I'm afraid you're hallucinating. ;)

The rules have been that way for several years, although I have no idea when it was changed to the current rules. At least in 2003 the Gold series (now 500's) where SE worthy for the Masters Series.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Then I'm afraid you're hallucinating. ;)

The rules have been that way for several years, although I have no idea when it was changed to the current rules. At least in 2003 the Gold series (now 500's) where SE worthy for the Masters Series.
Alrighty, rechecked my old posts and it was a semifinal in a 250 event and he didnt get a SE for Masters... Thanks for clarifying ;)

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts