Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought we needed a thread where people can't say "You're ruining it".

What did everyone think? I finished it yesterday around 5:00.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
Re: Book 7 - for those who READ it. *SPOILERS*

I agree ;)

The people I know are all in consensus so far that the epilogue sucks, is corny and totally unnecessary.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts

book 7? wtf?

·
#freeviktor
93,849 Posts

The epilogue is pure cheese :rolls: And I got a little confused which kids were Harry/Ginny's and which were Ron/Hermione's :lol: Like Hugo. And who the hell is Victoire? Is that Harry and Hermione's first kid which they apparently had when they were pretty young if she's off snogging Ted Lupin. :shrug:

Anywayyyyyy I got a little tear in my eye when he said Snape was the bravest headmaster Hogwarts had ever known. I was just kinda like "Awww." but other than that. I hate the epilogue. At the same time I know why she did it. Now that she's kind of said what happens over the next 19 years.. people can't pressure her to continue with another book ;) It's over.

And also other than that I absolutely loved the book. When I was reading it, I just felt so... right. It was like every theory I thought would happen... did. I feel vindicated that a) Harry WAS the last horcrux and b) he could kill it somehow without dying :) People always were like "No way is he a Horcrux, and he has to die." And well... I win that duel ;)

Also.. Draco. I was always right about him.. he's weak. Never as bad as he thought he was... but Narcissa actually shocked me. She shouldn't have, since when she made the unbreakable vow with Snape in book 6, it was clear that her main concern was her son rather than the Dark Lord's wishes being fulfilled... but it still surprised me that she lied to the Dark Lord about Potter's death. Once he told her Draco was safe she still could have sold him out... but it just kind of shows the Malfoy's were always just with Voldy for the power and the prestige but perhaps never were as into all of the dark stuff part of it as Lestrange was etc. But also... did Voldy lose his legilimens power with some of his Horcruxes I wonder? Because Voldy at his greatest power would have known Narcissa was lying and would have known when he was playing with Potter that he was still alive. I'm thinking he must have.

·
Registered
73,673 Posts

what a hype around harry potter. harry potter will never reach he glory and cult homer simpson has.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts

harry potter is for 10 year old children, it is garbage.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I agree ;)

The people I know are all in consensus so far that the epilogue sucks, is corny and totally unnecessary.
The epilogue was BY FAR the worst part of the book.

What I didn't like :

1. The way Snape died. After the build-up over 6 books, he doesn't get the hero's death? And learning ALL about what he REALLY was in ONE chapter in a pensieve seemed a cop-out.

2. The wand ownership fiasco. Did it mean that every time one wizard used expelliarmus on another, wands changed allegiance? Or maybe it was just the Elder wand for which that was the case...I don't know - either way it was very confusing.

3. I understand why Snape asked Voldemort to have Lily's life spared, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why he would comply. Since when have we ever known LV to cater to the "whims" of his followers? Seemed out of character

4. The "camping" section of the book. I know it was important, but it seemed to drag out longer than necessary.

5. The death of wormtail. Seems like he should have suffered more.

What I LOVED

1. That Ron and Neville got to share some of the horcrux killing glory. Neville in particular, since he was a "true Gryffindor" and pulled Godric's sword out of the sorting hat.

2. The house-elves. Kreacher and Dobby sort of stole the show.

3. The Snape/Lily relationship. I've known since book 5 that this was going to occur. It explains quite a bit about Snape's relationship with Harry. His arch-rival James Potter's face and Lily Evans' eyes. Snape is BY FAR my favorite character in all the books.

4. The tarnishing of Dumbledore. Its the first time we've seen him be fallible and have normal human weaknesses. One of the high points of the book, I think.

5. The final scene between Harry and Voldemort and the King's Cross scene with Harry and Dumbledore, if for no other reason than that it gave me so much information I'd been wondering about.

BTW, the deaths of Dobby and Fred were gutting.

·
Registered
73,673 Posts

harry potter is for 10 year old children, it is garbage.
first of all it is garbage with no sense and second of all none of these characters in harry potter have the potential to reach cult status.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Savestheday

Hugo is the son of Ron and Hermione
Victoire is the daughter of Bill and Fleur, though we're never actually told that. We're supposed to infer it based on the fact that she has a French name.

·
#freeviktor
93,849 Posts

2. The wand ownership fiasco. Did it mean that every time one wizard used expelliarmus on another, wands changed allegiance? Or maybe it was just the Elder wand for which that was the case...I don't know - either way it was very confusing.
I think it said somewhere that it has to be won.. using expelliarmus doesn't necessarily win you a wand... it seems the winner of a duel/battle etc gets the right. Otherwise if you just take a wand without trutly winning the wand, it won't work well enough for you. Harry took Draco's wand but it wasn't working well enough which is why he had to hold Draco's hand when casting the spells at the end of the book.. so that the wand's true owner was there. Harry and Draco never fought.

3. I understand why Snape asked Voldemort to have Lily's life spared, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why he would comply. Since when have we ever known LV to cater to the "whims" of his followers? Seemed out of character
I kinda wondered that too. It gives Voldemort too much of a heart, too much ability to care, when he supposedly could not do that. I mean, he kept telling Lily to get out of the way... he actually tried to follow through with the agreement with Snape. Asking her to get out of the way (if I'm not mistaken) more than once. Verrrrry out of character to me as well.

What I LOVED

1. That Ron and Neville got to share some of the horcrux killing glory. Neville in particular, since he was a "true Gryffindor" and pulled Godric's sword out of the sorting hat.
YES!! When Neville pulled out the sword, I was like "YESSSSSSSSSS!". Neville got so strong in this book! He did his parents proud for sure. I wish HE was the one to kill off Lestrange though, but killing Nagini was awesome :) I was so proud of him! And when he met the trio to lead them into Hogwarts and was shrugging off the torture and stuff he had gone through over the last year, it was just kind of like, "Whoah. Neville has really grown." Up until they got to Hogwarts, I was actually kind of annoyed. I was thinking constantly, "Where the hell is Neville? He has been semi-important throughout this ENTIRE series, I am 500 pages through and his name has been mentioned like 3 times." And then he came, and had the importance and the moment we all hoped he would :)

2. The house-elves. Kreacher and Dobby sort of stole the show.
I loved the change in Kreacher. That he even began to respect Hermione. :awww: I was worried at first though.. when they first started giving him tasks.. like fetching Mundungus for them.. I was like "Oh shoot.. he might betray them somehow..." but it worked out alright :) Dobby's death was so heartbreaking. :(

3. The Snape/Lily relationship. I've known since book 5 that this was going to occur. It explains quite a bit about Snape's relationship with Harry. His arch-rival James Potter's face and Lily Evans' eyes. Snape is BY FAR my favorite character in all the books.
I kinda also liked seeing more of Petunia... that she originally had really wanted to go with Lily to Hogwarts and then when it became clear she wasn't going how suddenly Lily turned into a "freak."

BTW, the deaths of Dobby and Fred were gutting.
Dude, I have no idea why, but before this book came out, I was absolutely convinced a twin was going to die. There is not really anything at all in previous books that would have told me that, but I was certain. :lol: So him I kind of expected... but Dobby... :sad:

·
#freeviktor
93,849 Posts

Savestheday

Hugo is the son of Ron and Hermione
Victoire is the daughter of Bill and Fleur, though we're never actually told that. We're supposed to infer it based on the fact that she has a French name.
I thought Hugo was theirs. Thanks :)

Ahhhhhh. See that's part of what I didn't like about the epilogue.. all these names were kind of just thrown at you. You just felt this whole sense of completeness. Voldemort destructed. Some people dead, some alive. And then you flip the page, see the words "19 years later" and suddenly she throws all these names at you.

Rose? Whose kid is Rose? :rolls:

·
Registered
4,081 Posts

My main criticisms of this book were the terrible epilogue, Snape not being given more time to shine (and not dying in a more valiant manner) and that the scenes in the forest were drawn and stretched out for too long.
The motorcyle chase when Harry was being chased on his way to Tonks's house, and the Gringotts breakout scenes were simply brilliant. I'm also glad that the backgrounds and pasts of Snape and particularly Dumbledore were explored in more detail.

·
Madness is genius
15,965 Posts

Oooh that makes sense:rolls: Thanks.:hatoff:

The epilogue really was the worst part of the book, and I agree the whole camping part was dragged on forever.
Fred:sobbing:

·
Registered
17,866 Posts

I think it said somewhere that it has to be won.. using expelliarmus doesn't necessarily win you a wand... it seems the winner of a duel/battle etc gets the right. Otherwise if you just take a wand without trutly winning the wand, it won't work well enough for you. Harry took Draco's wand but it wasn't working well enough which is why he had to hold Draco's hand when casting the spells at the end of the book.. so that the wand's true owner was there. Harry and Draco never fought.
:confused: Where was Harry holding Draco's hand to cast spells? Harry won Draco's wand when they were at Malfoy Manor. He didn't use brute force to do it, but it was enough to change the wand's allegiance (as explained by Ollivander when they were at Bill and Fleur's house).

·
#freeviktor
93,849 Posts

:confused: Where was Harry holding Draco's hand to cast spells? Harry won Draco's wand when they were at Malfoy Manor. He didn't use brute force to do it, but it was enough to change the wand's allegiance (as explained by Ollivander when they were at Bill and Fleur's house).
At the verrrrrrrrrry end. I remember rereading the line 10 times because I thought to myself "Where the hell did Draco come from." My mom is reading my book at the moment... I'll get it in a second.

I am almost certain I'm not confusing this....

·
#freeviktor
93,849 Posts

page 742

"..and Harry gripped Draco's very tightly". At least that's how I interpreted that line because they are talking about hands. I don't have the book here, but the first part of the sentence is talking about hands.. something like "Voldemort's hand shook holding the Elder Wand and Harry gripped Draco's very tightly." I guess that could mean wand... but the way I read it seemed to mean hand. :shrug:

·
#freeviktor
93,849 Posts

Now that I reread it, it means wand.

blah I was confused :rolls:

Apologies for my confusion. Didn't mean to make anyone upset.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts