Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a DC weekend (pretty much the only such thing left) and there are zero threads on the MTF frontpage about it.
6 of the 24 teams playing this weekend are fielding a top 50 player. 6 of 24. Several teams are not fielding any top 100 players. Turns out that removing from the tradition and atmosphere from a tournament that players only take part in because of the tradition and atmosphere is not a great move. The ATP Cup is now basically an identical format, but way more money and you actually get ranking points. There is no reason for the Davis Cup to exist. They should bring back San Jose and put it this week, would probably have a pretty nice field.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Commentators were saying djokovic , nadal and others want to join them together in one Cup . So its escentially incinerating the ashes of home team format which was the issue for me and many . Imo is not the kind of players (top or not) that show up, not important at all. In fact it did pretty fine in that aspect until 18' final year. Its not about global tennis interset it draws or an Mtf thread about it.

ITS ABOUT THE FK FANS DENIED TO CHEER FOR THEIR HOME TEAM. F*CK

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Davis Cup died and lost its importance, a long time ago. Seriously, did anyone really care who won it? The attempt was to revive it. Even in the old format, only a few people cared about the final at the end of the year. The Big 3 regularly avoided it. At least, in the new format, the popular players can show up for 3 days and be done with it, saving the time of the players and the spectators.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Davis Cup died and lost its importance, a long time ago. Seriously, did anyone really care who won it? The attempt was to revive it. Even in the old format, only a few people cared about the final at the end of the year. The Big 3 regularly avoided it. At least, in the new format, they popular players can show up for 3 days and be done with it, saving the time of the players and the spectators.
You could have awarded important ranking points in some way like in the ATP cup to the old format , it's an example pretty basic.

The BIG difference now and 2017- 18is that there wasn't the huge core of new players who now play a lot of events and are in the top 30. Surely if given them taste of the old format + ranking points now it would have been as big as it was . IMO

The bottom line is that it wasn't a business anymore at that time and ATP wanted to kill it before it regained any ground with Next Gen

·
Premium Member
9,511 Posts
First it is not properly a DC week end but if I am not wrong a Group I play off week end whose winners can play in September to qualify for DC Final.

It is like a Qualifications stage 1 in Soccer World Cup whose goal is to give some dream to smaller nations.

I am not sure the whole World keep his breath when Soccer Qualifications stage 1 happens.

And I am not even sure Piqué deal with ITF is not just DC Final (and may be September Qualifications) with ITF ruling the rest (Play off and Zonal Groups.)

I am afraid you are not fair when you say PIQUE killed DC.

Piqué got DC because he was not choosen to run ATP Cup (and basically because Tennis Australia made a proposal to share benefits from ATP Cup with ATP).

Piqué wanted ATP Cup not DC.
ITF gave DC to Piqué because they were afraid ATP Cup can cannibalize DC.

So basically, ATP killed DC by opening Pandora box and putting Buisiness over Tradition in Tennis Team Events.

That said DC was in induced coma if not in brain death state for years....

Murray, Federer, Nadal Djokovic were playing here and there, 1 year out of 3.... and only because threaten by ITF with an Olympic ban.....
Except Tennis Fans, noone wants to watch an Event without the very best.
And believe me or not, but with other Sports severe competition, and sponsorship to become rarer and rarer, it would have been difficult to source money to run such an Event like Old fashionned DC.

IMO it s not a matter of DC or ATP Cup.... If Tennis Team Event wants to continue and stay famous somewhere else than on only MTF and among Tennis Fans, they need to promote it like Soccer World Cup or Rugby World Cup what ITF alone can not afford....

We are in a transition period with 2 Team Events, Piqué has probably lost enough money last year and he will try to deal with ATP to avoid loosing more.
In those conditions he will not waste money into promoting play off with Greece and Botswana... kind of play off nobody cares except Tennis Fans that will anyway following.

It is obvious ATP Cup (even if this Event change its name with a global deal and melting the 2), has everything to become the only Team Event : fresh best players in Australia to prepare AO, same surface like AO, when DC Final is in a moment when exhausted players only want their off season.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Funny (it's not) that the proof that fans here bring as for killing dDavis Cup is "The big 3 not showing up" and "fans not caring about the final" , well, those who play that final and win it DO. I saw Goffin trying his ass off to take it to Belgium and I bet ratings in Croatia and Belgium have been much better than some MM event there instead. Bring something else to the table that is worth discussing not those lame .

·
Registered
16,310 Posts
its okay we have atp cup now

It's better

davis cup needed to be killed, so there is no pollution

Reactions: Tennis9000+

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
its okay we have atp cup now

It's better

davis cup needed to be killed, so there is no pollution
ATP Cup is better ? ..players played it only for the ranking points, money and because it was just before the AO in the same country. But that was completely shit event with countries which had nothing to do there, and most of the players did not care at all like Zverev or Thiem….
The only solution for the future is to unify the Davis Cup with the ATP Cup, and find a good date, like I said many times, the 2 weeks that follow the US Open are the "best".
Anyhow, the real Davis Cup was dying a long time before Piqué arrived, so we don't have to put all the culpability on him.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Having it in Spain again is stupid and the wild cards are stupid.

Reactions: n00b

·
Registered
16,310 Posts
ATP Cup is better ? ..players played it only for the ranking points, money and because it was just before the AO in the same country. But that was completely shit event with countries which had nothing to do there, and most of the players did not care at all like Zverev or Thiem….
The only solution for the future is to unify the Davis Cup with the ATP Cup, and find a good date, like I said many times, the 2 weeks that follow the US Open are the "best".
Anyhow, the real Davis Cup was dying a long time before Piqué arrived, so we don't have to put all the culpability on him.
Both players, especially Zverev, cared hard..

Did you even watch? Zverev never opened up more emotionally and was more vulnerable than at that ATP Cup.

He cared so badly, he even voiced his displeasure with his father in ways never seen before.

Sorry, i cannot take you seriously anymore as a poster.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Yes, Are you so sure or are you naive ? I don't claim players lost on purpose, of course not, but some of them did not give 100% but when you see that Goffin beat Nadal, there is something wrong. How can you explain this defeat ? I just explain it by the fact that it was not an important tournament (so Goffin did not choke as much as he used too) and by the fact that Nadal was still in preparation, so not caring as much as if it was the AO or the Davis Cup. In any other important tournament, this would never had happened, that just proves that this event was meaningless.
I watched some matches, but not many, but feel free to never read my post again, it is your right !

·
Registered
289 Posts
Both players, especially Zverev, cared hard..

Did you even watch? Zverev never opened up more emotionally and was more vulnerable than at that ATP Cup.

He cared so badly, he even voiced his displeasure with his father in ways never seen before.

Sorry, i cannot take you seriously anymore as a poster.
He cared because of how badly he was playing, not because of the ATP Cup.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
He cared because of how badly he was playing, not because of the ATP Cup.
Yup that was individual struggling, self centered frustration and re-action, the format allowing in court coaching provoked it . Ofc Exacerbated by team play pressure or wanting to perform at the event on the line . But It could happen to Zverev anywhere.

Having said that , Atp Cup is not bad , in fact I really liked it. It just not old traditional home team crowds, surfase choise Davis Cup FFS.

We could have both . Like in the past they could coexist . The one in Germany and good ol' Davis Cup. It would seem that that was logical back then and the same solution now. Because Atp Cup is gonna eat it as of right now . It's up to Itf to react to it. you damn old ITF fools . Atp put you in checkmate, or they put themself in that situation. Unless it's all $$$ colusion, it should go back to near original state (w/ranking points) or be dead.

·
MONSOON season.
81,979 Posts
Pretty much everyone knew this was a terrible decision.

Reactions: alypen

·
|
14,973 Posts
Davis Cup should be decided by Grand Slam Finals, so if Rafa wins the French Open and Djokovic is the runner-up then Spain and Serbia are awarded those ranking points, and by the end of the year whichever country has accumulated the most ranking points from Grand Slam Finals is the Davis Cup champion.
And it'll give extra meaning to each Grand Slam Final, as they'll be playing for their country!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Oh, is it DC? That would explain why there were no tournaments on the other day when I bothered to try checking scores on the ATP website. (Are you getting the feeling I'm not hugely invested in tennis these days?)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
How is that better than January? I could see players that get to the finals at USO not wanting to play a tournament in that slot.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
How is that better than January? I could see players that get to the finals at USO not wanting to play a tournament in that slot.
Because if you organise it in September, the 2 weeks following the US Open, it could be moved from year to year, from one country to another and from one continent to another : either for instance in America as just after the US Open, or in Asia, before the Asian tour, or in Europe, transition between Eastern US Coast and Asia. It could be organised on 10 days, so the competition would not start before the Thursday or Friday after the final of the US Open, so it would not prevent the players who go far in Nyc to play it, in the worst case, they would just miss the first match in their group to rest a bit more. If you organise it before the AO, you can basically only organise it in Australia, or maybe in Asia (but not the best season of the year to play in Asia).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts