R2 Baghdatis/Qualifier
R3 Tomic/Johnson/Lacko
QF Gasquet/Sock/Müller
SF Murray/Isner/Pospisil
F Nishikori/Cilic/Anderson

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
Grigor and Mardy Fish scored an impressive win over Sock & Pospisil, 6-7 7-6 10-8. Fish & Pospisil served for the match in the 2nd so it was a good fightback from Grigor & Mardy. :yeah:

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
It's not a good sign if he struggled to beat Pella on a fast hardcourt. He still has the same issue of dropping serve when serving for a set which is something his new coach will need to fix.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Still coachless for now, this GTG guy is just temporary helping him I figure...
Anyway, good to get the win in 2 sets despite the ups and downs. Vs Johnson will be difficult imo

·
Registered
564 Posts
The sad thing is problems in the shoulder don't go away so quickly if at all. I still have some doubt he will play at 100% vs Dolgo. it's a 50/50 match.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wasn’t there an interview with Rasheed (i think) around the end of February where he mentioned that Grigor had been having shoulder pain but they thought it was because of the changes with trying different rackets.
Do you think he has been struggling with the shoulder injury for months?

It would explain why his serve has been so unreliable these last few months and why his shots sometimes seem to lack power especially in longer matches.

Hope it isn’t to serious, he has had some hard months emotionally as well as physically.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
1st round vs Dolgopolov tomorrow, 1st match on Banque Nationale court - schedule starting at 12:30 pm

I'm a little worried about his shoulder. It's not the kind of news I wanted to hear coming back at home from vacations.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Wasn’t there an interview with Rasheed (i think) around the end of February where he mentioned that Grigor had been having shoulder pain but they thought it was because of the changes with trying different rackets.
Do you think he has been struggling with the shoulder injury for months?

It would explain why his serve has been so unreliable these last few months and why his shots sometimes seem to lack power especially in longer matches.

Hope it isn’t to serious, he has had some hard months emotionally as well as physically.
It's highly likely that its due to the new racket now that i think of it. I read the specifications and the center of gravity is 3 cm towards the racquet not the handle. So if any shoulder problems are present it's certain that the racket would increase them. I know that he had problems with that shoulder for a long time. Not sure if the problems started before or after the change. Also when you play your whole life with one racket your body grows and adapts around it, and when you suddenly change it even the slightest at this high level that is the result.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Into the 2nd round to face Jack Sock. Somehow managed to win in straight sets (6-4 7-5) after having been dominated in the 1st and being a break down till the end of the 2nd.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
epic collapse after 4-3 and serve in the 3rd
another painful loss from a winning position, shame

·
Bring it Home
21,141 Posts
I don't think Montreal was that bad really.

Apart from the serve, I was satisfied by his play against Dolgopolov, didn't made many mistakes, was attacking when had the chance, but also defended and counter-punched well. Sets were close and could've gone the other way, but Dolgo also played well.

About the Sock's match, well, it's impossible to say without watching, but looks like he should've won. Won 10 more points overall, was a MB up in the tie-break, was a break up in the 3rd set. I don't know if the shoulder bothered him or was just an implosion, but in the last 3 service games of the 3rd set he played 37 points, while in the first 3 service games he played just 12. :lol:

Ferrer withdrew of Cincy, so he would be #16 seed there (at least), which means R3 against Djoko/Fed/Murray/Kori again. :shrug:

Btw, is Johan Ortegren his new coach after all? Or this is just temporary?

·
Registered
17 Posts

Apart from the serve, I was satisfied by his play against Dolgopolov, didn't made many mistakes, was attacking when had the chance, but also defended and counter-punched well. Sets were close and could've gone the other way, but Dolgo also played well.

About the Sock's match, well, it's impossible to say without watching, but looks like he should've won. Won 10 more points overall, was a MB up in the tie-break, was a break up in the 3rd set. I don't know if the shoulder bothered him or was just an implosion, but in the last 3 service games of the 3rd set he played 37 points, while in the first 3 service games he played just 12. :lol:

Ferrer withdrew of Cincy, so he would be #16 seed there (at least), which means R3 against Djoko/Fed/Murray/Kori again. :shrug:

i think is temporary

·
Registered
6,370 Posts

he might be officially his coach but he does not consider him as such since he declares himself coachless in interviews

1 - 20 of 49 Posts