Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who Would Win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, here it is. Zverev, the year's Junior AO Champion but now in what has been an incredible run, winning his Tour Level matches for the first time beating 4 Top 100 players like Haase, Youzhny, Giraldo and Kamke on his way to his 1st ATP Tour SF, and a 500-level tournament to boot. He has impressed the home crowd and he has impressed many MTFers and other internet commentators. What is the interesting part is he is just 17 years old! He is probably going to face the toughest test yet, against Ferrer, who is known to be consistent most of the time and probably won't give Zverev any big opening. However, Ferrer is considerably having a down year, getting beaten more often and kind of shaky. Could Zverev take advantage of this, or will Ferrer still be too strong for the 17-year old? Would you be daring enough to make a prediction for other MTFers to see?

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
I feel this is where Zverev becomes too overwhelmed. Ferrer 6-2 6-3.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Classic case of Good vs Evil battle here.

Ferrer is a, well, you know who he is.

Zverev on the other hand is a talented shotmaker with teasing-pleasing groundstrokes.

Alex to send this nonsense joke back to Las Palmas in 3

·
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some say he has a Del Po style game, but Ferrer has a good H2H against him. However, some say that he has a Djokovic style game, which Ferrer has a bad H2H (although not that bad on Clay). Let us see what is going on.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Some say he has a Del Po style game, but Ferrer has a good H2H against him. However, some say that he has a Djokovic style game, which Ferrer has a bad H2H (although not that bad on Clay). Let us see what is going on.
Ferrer actually leads the clay H2H 3-2 and has won at least 1 set in all 5 matches.

·
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ferrer actually leads the clay H2H 3-2 and has won at least 1 set in all 5 matches.
That is why it is not so bad. Doesn't mean the H2H in general had been good, though.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
That is why it is not so bad. Doesn't mean the H2H in general had been good, though.
The clay H2H is impressive though, I think calling it not so bad is pretty harsh! I never said the H2H in general is good, but then not many can boast a good H2H against Djokovic!

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Well, I'll cheer for Zverev, since Ferrer is one of Dimitrov's rivals for WTF's spots.

I guess Ferrer may struggle a bit earlier in the match, but after a few games he'll solve Zverev's game, exploit his overrated movement and cruise to a 2 set win, something like 6-4, 6-1.

·
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think this will be a beat down, but even if it is 6-0 6-0 it won't take away from the week the kid has had. Let's hope he can hang tough.
For some reason I don't feel him getting that kind of a beatdown IMO. Probably I agree a 6-0 or 6-1 somewhere but I feel at least one Set would be competitive. I hope for a 3-Setter.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
For some reason I don't feel him getting that kind of a beatdown IMO. Probably I agree a 6-0 or 6-1 somewhere but I feel at least one Set would be competitive. I hope for a 3-Setter.

Not predicting that scoreline, just saying if it happens it's not a big deal.

I think more like 6-2 6-3.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Really can't see Alex doing this unless Ferrer massively beats himself. He's done that a few times this year but unfortunately I feel Ferrer will expose his movement. Ferrer in 3.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Classic case of Good vs Evil battle here.

Ferrer is a, well, you know who he is.

Zverev on the other hand is a talented shotmaker with teasing-pleasing groundstrokes.

Alex to send this nonsense joke back to Las Palmas in 3
what a joke! Zverev is a classical pusher and it worked wonders for him this week, ain't nothing pleasing in his game. Maybe he has other type of game but this week he is a die-hard master pusher, and very successful against muggers with no weapons or afraid to use it or just plain choking. the level of solidness surpassed that of Novak somehow.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts