Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruud may have been slightly hampered, but Rublev's offence was imperious as long as he wasn't making too many errors, which was largely the case today. Beautiful sight.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Good start of the match, but Casper was just too tired here to challenge a player like Rublev. I think Casper made a mistake to play in Hamburg after an excellent run in Rome. He will already have to play on Monday in RG, first round should be ok, but his second round, possibly against Tommy Paul might be very difficult after 2 long weeks of tennis and if ever he would reach the third round in RG, Dominic Thiem will destroy him.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Great level from Rublev here once again. Ruud was also extremely strong in the beginning (even his BH worked decently), but overall Rublev is just one level above him. His relentless aggression in the absence of many UE unless put under pressure himself is just brutal.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Uhh ok!
Guess Ruud was a bit overplayed, but still quite the onesided scoreline..

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
Ruud will never win something significant unless he drastically improves his backhand. It's dog shit.
Rublev was solid, but should lose in the final to Stefanos.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Good start of the match, but Casper was just too tired here to challenge a player like Rublev. I think Casper made a mistake to play in Hamburg after an excellent run in Rome. He will already have to play on Monday in RG, first round should be ok, but his second round, possibly against Tommy Paul might be very difficult after 2 long weeks of tennis and if ever he would reach the third round in RG, Dominic Thiem will destroy him.
I don’t think he was going to realistically trouble Thiem anyway, so it’s not bad to get an SF point haul here.

Reactions: devision2002

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
A fresh Casper would've made this more interesting. He didn't really have any depth on his shots today unlike against Humbert, and that is a death sentence against a player like Rublev.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Ruud will never win something significant unless he drastically improves his backhand. It's dog shit.
Rublev was solid, but should lose in the final to Stefanos.
I think, he really improved his backhand if we compare it from the one he had 18 months ago. It is not a weapon but it is a decent one. Of course, when he will play against top guys like Rublev, his backhand will always be exposed. I guess Caspar can still improve a bit and enter in the top 20 (he will be 25 after Hamburg) and be one of the top 10 players of the world on clay.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I thought Ruuds BH was decent today (at least in the beginning), but I don't think it will ever become a competitive shot (like let's say Rublevs BH) and therefore he will never win something big either. Has it ever happened that someone improved a shot like that technique-wise, I don't think so. Kind of a waste since his FH is pretty sexy but what can you do?

Reactions: asmazif

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
I think there is hope for that backhand as he is showing signs of improvement. Like devision said, his backhand was really hopeless last year and players feasted on it. Ruud is a smart individual, he knows his opponents are all strategizing to focus on that side so he has to keep improving it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts