Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
23,063 Posts
It is Ferrer match against a much lower ranked player so I get why no thread. That being said, that was a bizarre start from Ferrer. Was still vulnerable in the 2nd Set but seemed to have found his way in the 3rd. Kukushkin did have many chances though and seemed to struggle maintaining his consistency throughout the match.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
kukushking could have broken for 62 *1-0 :unsure:

·
Registered
57,591 Posts
Ferrer was sooo bad in the first. Good thing he picked it up. What should be a pretty easy next match vs Monaco/Seppi, so hopefully he can get some form there, otherwise he will lose to Verdasco

·
Registered
192 Posts
someone tell kukushkin never to shave his face again. goes from creepy to cute when he's all stubbly like that. he was really playing well in that first set but pretty NID that someone like david would dig in and find a way. i enjoyed the match, but was only half watching.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Ferrer surely played better since the middle of the 2nd set (was impossible to play worst than the 1st set though), but Kuku was basically playing with crutches in the 3rd set. Is there a player with worst fitness than him on the tour? He seems to finish every match in bad shape.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Ferrer's backhand was terrible in the first set, he netted so many times. Kukushkin did start very well but he was definitely helped by Ferrer making so many easy mistakes.

But the shouting Ferrer did after missing chances in the second seemed to bring back the intensity to his game. He was much better after that and by the third looked like a totally different player. Hopefully he'll start more confidently in his next match.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
All of the previous posts are spot on! Rare to see a thread with such great insight in which all agree. I really thought that Ferrer was just going to mail it in, as he seemed so lethargic despite making error after error on the backhand side in the first set and a half. I've seen him just go out with a whimper before in first round matches in tournaments that he doesn't care about, and thought that that might be the case again here.

It was great to see Ferrer show some fire in that second set, and he really picked up his return and ground strokes from about the middle of the second set on as stated above.

·
Registered
57,591 Posts
Ferrer surely played better since the middle of the 2nd set (was impossible to play worst than the 1st set though), but Kuku was basically playing with crutches in the 3rd set. Is there a player with worst fitness than him on the tour? He seems to finish every match in bad shape.
He injured himself against Nadal in Wimbledon and was taped heavily today. Might not should be playing so soon but you can't blame a fringe player like him. Of course, the result is that he is injured all the time.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I was really scared after that first set. Ferrer really needs to win a few matches in a row, I think he needs that very badly, actually... Another early loss would have been devastating.

It seems that it's really true when people say he's a player that needs to "play himself into confidence." He must find a way to get that confidence back and start winning points again if he wants to finish in the top 10.

Ferrer was sooo bad in the first. Good thing he picked it up. What should be a pretty easy next match vs Monaco/Seppi, so hopefully he can get some form there, otherwise he will lose to Verdasco
I'm not sure it will be so easy, but he really must win this match...

someone tell kukushkin never to shave his face again. goes from creepy to cute when he's all stubbly like that. he was really playing well in that first set but pretty NID that someone like david would dig in and find a way. i enjoyed the match, but was only half watching.
I don't think it was NID at all, given how Ferru's been playing lately... it was more like VMID (= very much in doubt :D )

I'm glad he found a way to step up his level (which admittedly wasn't too hard given the number of UEs in the 1st set) in order to avoid another horrible loss.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts