Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit of a strange match, Cecchinato played a horrible game in the first set to get broken and looked down on energy, then from 1-3 in the 2nd he suddenly started redlining all sorts of forehands, backhands and dropshots to win 5 straight games. The heat started to affect Monfils in the 3rd and he was pushed a few times in service games but held on, then suddenly Cecchinato who was cruising on serve had a poor game at 4-5 and lost the match.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't see the match but Monfils with no aces and (97%) first serve. Was Monfils hitting nothing but kick serves??
You know, I didn’t really notice this while watching but apparently yes, he was averaging 145 km/h or so on his serves. Guess it’s a strategy to conserve energy on clay as he was averaging 180+ 1st serves at Wimbledon. It’s debatable whether this is smart though, maybe he would have held serve more efficiently by going for first serves.

·
Registered
43 Posts
meh, this loss is not a problem, checchibeast was a little bit tired. next year he will win this tournament. now the american season with no points to defend. he will surprise

·
Registered
404 Posts
Watched from when Cecchinato led 4-3 in the second set, to the end. A bizarre match indeed. Cecchinato was making all the FHs and dropshots in the world, really putting pressure on Monfils' serve (who had an extremely high 1st serve percentage based solely off high % kick serves). I was confused because the commentator kept on saying that Marco had looked "down and out", but he was playing v well, though I could sense some signs of fatigue. The biggest shock was the final service game from Marco: three uncharacteristic forehand errors (one off the dropshot) in a row to go down 0-40, before succumbing to Monfils on yet another failed dropshot. Weird.

meh, this loss is not a problem, checchibeast was a little bit tired. next year he will win this tournament. now the american season with no points to defend. he will surprise
Yes, he may surprise us by finally getting an ATP main draw win on outdoor hard courts.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,623 Posts
He was doing it during South American clay court season too. It doesn't work at all.
I suppose he thinks on clay, kicker gives him space to use.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Cecchinato started badly but really got firing in the second and third sets. Monfils was just doing enough and being solid, eventually in the last game Cecchinato threw in some errors and that was the match over for him. The bad game was a bit random but that can happen when you are serving to stay in a match, defeat is merely 4 points away.

Not the best Monfils performance but he got past a tricky opponent

·
Registered
43 Posts
Watched from when Cecchinato led 4-3 in the second set, to the end. A bizarre match indeed. Cecchinato was making all the FHs and dropshots in the world, really putting pressure on Monfils' serve (who had an extremely high 1st serve percentage based solely off high % kick serves). I was confused because the commentator kept on saying that Marco had looked "down and out", but he was playing v well, though I could sense some signs of fatigue. The biggest shock was the final service game from Marco: three uncharacteristic forehand errors (one off the dropshot) in a row to go down 0-40, before succumbing to Monfils on yet another failed dropshot. Weird.

Yes, he may surprise us by finally getting an ATP main draw win on outdoor hard courts.
The GOAT had never won a grand slam main draw match prior roland garros, remind me what happened. i don' t remember well..

·
Registered
404 Posts
The GOAT had never won a grand slam main draw match prior roland garros, remind me what happened. i don' t remember well..
And the fact remains he is #22, #10 in race with no ATP main draw wins on outdoor hard courts. He has also only played two matches on outdoor hard this season, losing both. I actually like Marco's game (on clay), but him having results on hard will be surprising considering his journeyman-esque results on the surface to date.

·
Registered
43 Posts
And the fact remains he is #22, #10 in race with no ATP main draw wins on outdoor hard courts. He has also only played two matches on outdoor hard this season, losing both. I actually like Marco's game (on clay), but him having results on hard will be surprising considering his journeyman-esque results on the surface to date.
I know this, in fact i said " he will surprise"

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
He had journeyman results everywhere. He will get some wins

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
He also had no wins on grass before this season, but racked up a few in Eastbourne over some decent grasscourters (Istomin and Millman). Can't go only on old performances, but need to look at form. That said, expectations obviously not high until he actually shows something...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts