Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This scoreline is more reflective of how subpar Kei played rather than Garin being superb.

When Garin's BH is working better than Kei's, you know you're in trouble. Kei was even making BH slice errors. Poor movement, footwork and very mediocre BH for a player who has relied so much in the past on quick feet, being balanced on the ball and laser sharp reliable BHs. The bad bounces didn't help either, Kei looked all over the shop with his footing and could never assert enough control to be on at least even keel.

It's a shame, but I can't see him improve too much at this rate. I feel like COVID19 probably blew out the last flames of Kei. If you can't even move well and use your BH as a weapon, what is there left? Some players recovered from COVID but Kei just looks a total shell of himself these days. It's sad to say, but stick a fork in Kei. He is done.

·
justice for all
16,851 Posts
@MWW Don't lose your hope, mate. This is just a few poor showings. If he doesn't bounce back till mid 2021 then it's a different story but not yet.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
I still remember your epic obituary for Kei back in March 2018, maybe another one would do the trick now;)

·
54,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still remember your epic obituary for Kei back in March 2018, maybe another one would do the trick now;)
awkwardly, he came back rather strong on the clay that time.

Here it is almost the reverse situation. Not sure if lightning will ever strike the same place twice sadly. I guess guitarra is right in that it's still very early, barely a month since his original COVID19 diagnosis. Even the Adria cases had more time to recover. So maybe there is some hope. But requires a great deal of patience from my end (and his)...

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
he should retire soon, i guess.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
@MWW Don't lose your hope, mate. This is just a few poor showings. If he doesn't bounce back till mid 2021 then it's a different story but not yet.
He was a top 5 player and was hoping to win an AMS or slam, even. It wasn't long ago he was reaching quarter-final and semi-final stages but he was being trounced when he got there. I think his days of being a top tenner are done, but I've never seen him play as bad as this, so he'll surely improve upon these performances at least.

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
Hope he can bounce back from this rough patch. Hope he's not even considering retiring.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
This scoreline is more reflective of how subpar Kei played rather than Garin being superb.

When Garin's BH is working better than Kei's, you know you're in trouble. Kei was even making BH slice errors. Poor movement, footwork and very mediocre BH for a player who has relied so much in the past on quick feet, being balanced on the ball and laser sharp reliable BHs. The bad bounces didn't help either, Kei looked all over the shop with his footing and could never assert enough control to be on at least even keel.

It's a shame, but I can't see him improve too much at this rate. I feel like COVID19 probably blew out the last flames of Kei. If you can't even move well and use your BH as a weapon, what is there left? Some players recovered from COVID but Kei just looks a total shell of himself these days. It's sad to say, but stick a fork in Kei. He is done.
You really picked the wrong favourite player. Kei has brought you so much suffering over the years with embarrassing defeats. The Ninja many predicted would conquer the tennis world is now 30 and has only managed 6 x 500's and 6 x 250s, not even 1 single MS1000 win. Totally below expectations of the Japan Tennis Megastar.

·
Registered
22,230 Posts
Didn't see this match, but what struck me most against Musetti was how SLOW Nishikori is. Which of course is a death sentence for someone who relies on movement, returns, taking the ball early, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts

Dude isn't THAT old yet. Could still just be a rough patch.

·
54,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You really picked the wrong favourite player. Kei has brought you so much suffering over the years with embarrassing defeats. The Ninja many predicted would conquer the tennis world is now 30 and has only managed 6 x 500's and 6 x 250s, not even 1 single MS1000 win. Totally below expectations of the Japan Tennis Megastar.

He should have won Madrid 2014 if not for injury. He just never peaked quite the right time. Sock won a masters and we know his average level, as did Khachanov who has since been underwhelming. So these big titles aren't everything. I'd say if Kei transplanted his 2014 or 2016 level at USO17, 19 or 20, he'd have a decent chance at taking the USO crown.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Retirement is def looming.

He isn't old but he also isn't young anymore. The likelihood of him having the kind of resurgence he had in 2018 after an extended injury/illness-related break is extremely slim. Of course, he could continue hanging around the Top 50 as a veteran capable of the odd big run but for someone with his injury history, I doubt that will be feasible in the long run.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
He should have won Madrid 2014 if not for injury. He just never peaked quite the right time. Sock won a masters and we know his average level, as did Khachanov who has since been underwhelming. So these big titles aren't everything. I'd say if Kei transplanted his 2014 or 2016 level at USO17, 19 or 20, he'd have a decent chance at taking the USO crown.
And I think it's not right thing Sock and Kach win Masters. They are not that good players. They just have ONE big weapon in their game that help sometimes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts