·
Registered
5,316 Posts
real Russia > fake Russia

Hamburg > RG

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Really good match from both until 5-3 for Tsitsipas in the 3rd set.
From then on, it was - again - a huge choke (a choke from the textbook).
The level of play was very good, especially in sets 1 & 2.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Great match, one of the best of the clay season. Rublev was brilliant in the first set (3 UEs) while Tsitsipas was flawless in set 2 blasting winners everywhere, 3rd set had all the drama with Tsitsipas faltering at the end. Rublev had a very tough period physically in set 3 where Tsitsipas should have gone up a double break, instead he gifted one of his service games and allowed Rublev to recover. Some of the rallies today were pretty crazy, Rublev really showed good footspeed while Tsitsipas had good touch in lots of dropshots. Literally the worst way the tournament could end for Tsitsipas, another choke and very physical battle right before RG. Happy for Rublev though, he deserves a 500 title with how good he is this year, top 10 probably coming very soon for him, he should make WTF if he keeps this up.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Stef turning into a real choker. Sad to see. All this effort wasted now and it'll be hard to make a deep run at RG with how much time he put into this tournament.

Grats to Rublev!

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
COuld not beleive the choking from Tsitsi.
How did this guy win the atp finals? nevermind, I remember.
Happy for Rublev, his game has gotten so much better lately, he may be a slam contender at some point?

·
Registered
16,838 Posts
Rublev to correct last year's mistake.
And he did it, with a Sissypas choke. The Greek will never win anything big (apart from the Tour Finals which he already won).
He can't even win a 500 anymore... :ROFLMAO:
Lost at Dubai, lost here. What's next for Stef?

·
Registered
583 Posts
What an implosion from Tsisipas...serving for the match and then proceeds to lose the next 3 games. Pointing to his head when serving for it like Djokovic and Wawrinka used to do a few years back...it just made me lol with how he played after instead of focusing and being mentally strong.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
So so so so so so so so so So so so so so so so so so So so so so so so so so so So so so so so so so so so poor from Tsitsipas

·
Registered
413 Posts
I thought when Rublev failed to hold serve after counterbreak in the final set, he was done. But Tsitsipas choked big time, you could tell in advance because during the break he was passing his towel on his face like a mad man, so nervous...

That's why I don't trust this guy, he will win way less tournaments than he is supposed to.

·
Registered
16,350 Posts
Tsitsipas currently went from mentally strong and firm to very fallible

Reactions: Supercell

·
justice for all
15,197 Posts
Oh gosh... how did you lose it, Stef? Was so close to the finish line... that's a pity.

Congrats to Rublev and his fans though - well played and how he stayed in it until the end and never stopped to believe.

·
Registered
11,789 Posts
Tsitsipas needed to serve this out after the Coric match. He failed. It will be interesting to see if this becomes a pattern in the future

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Rublev showed a lot of mettle here, coming back from a break down twice in that final set. Sad that it ended on a DF from Tsitsipas. Pretty entertaining match overall. I really think they should bring back Hamburg as a Masters and demote Madrid.
The facilities in Hamburg are nowhere near masters standard. They basically only have two courts with spectators (and the 2nd one looks like the CC in my local club, tbh.). I was there a few years ago and kind of shocked how bad it looked and that they used to hold a masters there.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts