Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a brilliant match from David. he is well and truly back. Matteo didnt even play poorly, this was well played by both. David was just brilliant and read Berrettini's serve better and better as the match went on. just great to see david back to his best tennis.

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
A pretty tight affair, but Goffin managed to win all the big points today. He must be really happy with how he's performing.

Matteo tried to play offensive tennis but just crumbled a little bit in the most important moments. His backhand in particular (both topspin and slice) let him down today, dumped too many into the net. I was hoping for him to reach the final here but oh well. Get some rest for Wimbledon, mate.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Great win as I thought Berrettini would win in a similar sort of scoreline.

Unless Federer improves I'd back him in the final too, he'll have too much for Herbert regardless of how well Herbert plays and Federer in his current form is too sloppy to take 2 sets off Goffin the way he's played this week.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Masterpiece performance by David, just amazing. Serving, returning, playing under pressure, all on very high level. Keep it up in the final!

Matteo was a bit of tired, especially in the end of the match. He also missed some chances, but still very impressive run on grass season. Good luck in Wimbledon.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
High quality affair. For a long stretch Berrettini was nearly untouchable on serve, overpowered Goffin from the baseline and showed great net skills yet again. David managed to come back in the TB (was down a MB twice) with improved return, great court coverage and lots of finesse. As Mr. Swiss said, he was reading Matteo's serve better and better as the match progressed, and that was a game changer. Berrettini looked rather deflated after losing the first set, where he was arguably the better player. The fatigue might have caught up with him as well. He definitely had his chances. Goffin's experience and composure paid off. He's played himself into a great form again it seems. About time.

·
Registered
600 Posts
A pretty tight affair, but Goffin managed to win all the big points today. He must be really happy with how he's performing.

Matteo tried to play offensive tennis but just crumbled a little bit in the most important moments. His backhand in particular (both topspin and slice) let him down today, dumped too many into the net. I was hoping for him to reach the final here but oh well. Get some rest for Wimbledon, mate.
Yep, his backhand was poor. In particular the topspin backhand. Seems to hit it very flat (does anyone know the average rpm) and as a consequence often short which gets punished.

·
Registered
506 Posts
If we look solely at the statistics (to keep it simple I'm looking at winners vs. unforced errors mainly here) I think Matteo "deserved" to win the first set and he must have felt the same way. But the game is tennis and it's not as straightforward as that. Something Matteo still needs to learn, or maybe he has already, just doesn't always feel that justified no matter what.

So one slightly disappointed tennis follower here.

But fortunately the fun today doesn't end here and on we go to see the old Spaniard Feli play three matches within the next couple of hours at Queens. Two of those luckily being doubles matches. Or maybe they run out of daylight again in the last doubles match today, if Felix and Feli take the current singles match into a decider.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If we look solely at the statistics (to keep it simple I'm looking at winners vs. unforced errors mainly here) I think Matteo "deserved" to win the first set and he must have felt the same way. But the game is tennis and it's not as straightforward as that. Something Matteo still needs to learn, or maybe he has already, just doesn't always feel that justified no matter what.

You didn't watch the match, did you? :grin2: David grew into the set and read Matteo's serve better and better, and everything clicked together at the end of the TB when he basically made 3 first serve return winners/super deep shots in a row. On flow of service games alone, if you only look at stats, you could see how Matteo was untouchable at the beginning but then DAvid crept into his service games more and more, even earning a BP at 5-5 (saved by an ace). It was just a precursor of things to come in the TB and in set 2 :)

Amazing win for David, I'm just so happy right now :)

·
Registered
2,162 Posts

But fortunately the fun today doesn't end here and on we go to see the old Spaniard Feli play three matches within the next couple of hours at Queens. Two of those luckily being doubles matches. Or maybe they run out of daylight again in the last doubles match today, if Felix and Feli take the current singles match into a decider.
You just proved why one should never ever do that.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You just proved why one should never ever do that.
I agree entirely with you Raiden: tennis is a game that's played on the court, and not decided by the statistics (like some boring video game). Just wanted to underline that fact by pointing it out.

You didn't watch the match, did you? :grin2: David grew into the set and read Matteo's serve better and better, and everything clicked together at the end of the TB when he basically made 3 first serve return winners/super deep shots in a row. On flow of service games alone, if you only look at stats, you could see how Matteo was untouchable at the beginning but then DAvid crept into his service games more and more, even earning a BP at 5-5 (saved by an ace). It was just a precursor of things to come in the TB and in set 2 :)

Amazing win for David, I'm just so happy right now :)
And to you ZellKFF: I did indeed watch the match in its entirety, not missing one single shot.

It's just that I was hoping so much for Matteo to produce a win at this level and get to his first ATP 500 final that my opinions on the game may not have been entirely neutral, especially right after the match :grin2:
It happens every once in a while you're enthusiastic enough about something. You may be familiar with the feeling as well :laugh2: and you have every right to, while being happy for David for his win. He's a really nice guy who played great yesterday, and I'm happy for you both :laugh2:
Unfortunately he didn't do so well today, just wasn't able to produce the same kind of game against Fed as he did against Matteo. And this time I was backing David too.

I do accept and respect what you are saying and it's certainly a more objective analysis than my more or less emotional reaction - It's just that sometimes you really see just what you want to see (and hope to see).
I kind of tried to make it clear in my post that that was the case, that I was still a bit emotinal after the match and wasn't even trying to make it any more objective than what it was - but in a written text everything just does not always come through in a manner you mean it to do.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Still another great week for Berrettini. He came out of nowhere this year and is top20 by now!

3 tournaments in Germany: 1 title, 1 final plus 1 semifinal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts