Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I want to make it very clear that this is not a bait topic by any means. It all came back to me when I was looking at Karlovic's career and how he ended up failing to serve out the Washington title (500) in 2016.

del Potro up first. Very doable.

I know Djokovic played juggernaut tennis back in 2011 but he did so back in 2015 and that wasnt enough against the Doctor.

Have a look at what kind of tennis played against Nadal.

My prediction would have been:

takes out del Potro 7-6 7-6. Loses the final against Djokovic.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,304 Posts
Unlikely. Ivo beat Djokovic then lost to Ferrer in Doha.

Ivo couldn't best Victor Estrella Burgos even on high altitude clay.
He is prone to choking.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unlikely. Ivo beat Djokovic then lost to Ferrer in Doha.

Ivo couldn't best Victor Estrella Burgos even on high altitude clay.
He is prone to choking.
Karlovic doesnt need to beat Ferrer after he beats Djokovic. Djokovic is the final boss here.

Karlovic doesnt need to beat VEB in Ecuador to win the Indian Wells tournament.

Other than that - very interesting take.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Karlovic is a choker. There's no way he wouldn't choke in his first MS final. Even if he managed to win the first set, I'd still give Djokovic a 99.9% chance of winning the match even though Djokovic doesn't like playing against Karlovic.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
There is a reason why he didn't win the tiebreak to begin with, he is a massive choker and to see his serve disappear at the most important moments of his career (most notably the Washington final) was a sad sight to behold.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,304 Posts
Karlovic doesnt need to beat Ferrer after he beats Djokovic. Djokovic is the final boss here.

Karlovic doesnt need to beat VEB in Ecuador to win the Indian Wells tournament.

Other than that - very interesting take.
No, what I mean is that it is very difficult to take down multiple strong opponents back to back. He might have scored an upset over Nadal but that doesn't mean he can hold it to the final.

I used Doha as an example, where he did beat Djokovic in 3 sets then lost to Ferrer the following round in 3 sets, albeit tight ones. He would then have to beat Berdych if he did win that match, so three top 10 opponents in a row. That's not too different from the feat required at Indian Wells.

Mind you John Isner managed to defeat Djokovic at Cincinnati masters in 2013 but lost to Nadal in the F, likewise he beat Djokovic at Indian Wells 2012 and lost to Federer in the final.

·
Registered
17,892 Posts
No, what I mean is that it is very difficult to take down multiple strong opponents back to back. He might have scored an upset over Nadal but that doesn't mean he can hold it to the final.

I used Doha as an example, where he did beat Djokovic in 3 sets then lost to Ferrer the following round in 3 sets, albeit tight ones. He would then have to beat Berdych if he did win that match, so three top 10 opponents in a row. That's not too different from the feat required at Indian Wells.

Mind you John Isner managed to defeat Djokovic at Cincinnati masters in 2013 but lost to Nadal in the F, likewise he beat Djokovic at Indian Wells 2012 and lost to Federer in the final.
OP has forgotten the true meaning "beating the absolute top players in a row".
Few are capable of that, servebot chokers like Karlovic aren't.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Minus a few points points this is a typical poor Karlovic tiebreak, almost as disgusting as Nadal's over the top celebrations. Certainly Karlovic wouldn't have been able to keep it together enough mentally three times in a row.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts