Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had Mr. Roger been born in 1988, thus being the youngest among Rafa, Nole and himself would he have been able to accomplish as much GS titles as he has?

Fictional tenis, obv.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Definitely not. He would've been blocked by Novak and Nadal and the strong era.

Federer: 4-10 in slam finals against Novak and Nadal (10-21 in slams overall and a horrible H2H)
Federer: 16-1 in slam finals against everyone else

·
Registered
410 Posts
In all seriousness, he would've done as much as Nadal or Djokovic. They would've been pretty equal and neck and neck. Federer would've been able to keep up with prime Nole, even on clay, he would've fared better on the grass. On Clay against Nadal, if he had the backhand helped by the larger racquet, he would've fared much better on clay.

So it would've been much better than his current performance in the recent decade against the other members of the big 3.

Thought I doubt, he would've been able to overcome both or dominate them . But it certainly would've been more even on all slams and surfaces.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Yes. He would have won fewer slams, but the same would have happened to Nadal and Djokovic. He still would have been a strong favorite at Wimbledon and the US Open, and a solid contender at the AO. Less so at RG but would still manage to win one with how consistent he was there. Even in 2019, he reached the SF. Impossible to know who would have won the most among the three if they were contemporaries.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Federer entered his first GS semifinal just one month before his 22nd birthday, also amassing just one masters title at the time, so, if he would play on the same level, not only Nadal and Djokovic would regularly beat him but Murray as well (who won three masters as 21 y.o by regularly beating peak Federer therein), and probably Delpo at slams, when not injured.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Federer entered his first GS semifinal just one month before his 22nd birthday, winning just one masters, so, if he played on te same level, not only Nadal and Djokovic would beat him but Murray too.
Federer was a late bloomer. He won his first slam at 22... I mean, Nadal and Novak would have totally blocked his entire prime. Plus the period of 2011-2016 had extremely strong competition anyway, which is why Federer only won one slam.

·
Your visions will happen
49,266 Posts
If he was born in 88 he would not have grown up with such a backhand designed for grass. He'd be more like a Wawrinka type a more power backhand. He'd lose his touch and finesse in favor of more offense from the BH side. Probably will win more RG but less Wimbledon

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
If he was born in 88 he would not have grown up with such a backhand designed for grass. He'd be more like a Wawrinka type a more power backhand. He'd lose his touch and finesse in favor of more offense from the BH side. Probably will win more RG but less Wimbledon
You don't choose power, else everyone would be serving 230 kph serves! He almost certainly developed that backhand according to his physique. If he was born in 88 i doubt playing style would be more different, depends what kind of influence he had growing up.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
All 3 would have less slams considering none of them would have any vulture period where the competition is extinct. Federer would have fared a lot better against the other 2, especially Novak, considering most of Novak’s wins are against oldass Federer. While Federer did beat him a lot before his prime, old Federer still played prime Novak a lot closer and scored a decent amount of wins over him. Prime/peak Federer is just too powerful with his weapons and offense for Novak to have a chance against other than clay or Fed on an off day. Nadal would still prob lead the h2h considering his matchup advantage and the fact that most of their matches are on slow courts.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Lol that's just nonsense. Even in 2008-2009, the H2H between Federer and Novak was EVEN, and that was Novak at some of his worst. 🤣

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
You don't choose power, else everyone would be serving 230 kph serves! He almost certainly developed that backhand according to his physique. If he was born in 88 i doubt playing style would be more different, depends what kind of influence he had growing up.
That’s true to an extent but players usually put most of their training on skill sets they want as their weapons e.g Nadal’s defense and speed or Roddick’s serve and power. Body size/genetics will limit certain things but it’s mostly based off how they train.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Lol that's just nonsense. Even in 2008-2009, the H2H between Federer and Novak was EVEN, and that was Novak at some of his worst. 🤣
Uh no 2008 was a good year for Novak, won his first slam there and in 2009, he was solid too. Federer was shit in 2008 with mono up until the second half of the season. 2010 was a bad year for Novak tho. How about when 34 year old Federer beat him 3 times in one of his peak years.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Uh no 2008 was a good year for Novak, won his first slam there and in 2009, he was solid too. Federer was shit in 2008 with mono up until the second half of the season. 2010 was a bad year for him tho. How about when 34 year old Federer beat him 3 times in one of his peak years.
Look at all those excuses. 🤣 It'd be like comparing Novak of 2013-2014 with the Federer of 2002-2003. Unfair comparison, but yet Novak still had a 4-4 H2H in 2008-2009 against Federer.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
That’s true to an extent but players usually put most of their training on skill sets they want as their weapons e.g Nadal’s defense and speed or Roddick’s serve and power. Body size/genetics will limit certain things but it’s mostly based off how they train.
I really don't think you can choose your strengths, i bet Roddick when he was 12 was already serving a lot bigger than his club partners his age.. Nadal already had the amazing forehand, same for Gasquet and his backhand. Yes, they can and will polish those strengths and made them bigger weapons in some cases but they were always strength to begin with, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Look at all those excuses. 🤣 It'd be like comparing Novak of 2013-2014 with the Federer of 2002-2003. Unfair comparison, but yet Novak still had a 4-4 H2H in 2008-2009 against Federer.
Like I said, Fed had mono in 2008 for the first half of the year. 34 year old fed kicked his ass 3 times in 2015 which was one of his 2 peak years and in the other 2011, Fed nearly beat him in 2 slam matches and Federer was dogshit that year until the end.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Like I said, Fed had mono in 2008 for the first half of the year. 34 year old fed kicked his ass 3 times in 2015 which was one of his 2 peak years and in the other 2011, Fed nearly beat him in 2 slam matches and Federer was dogshit that year until the end.
What's the H2h since 2011 again. Please remind me. Federer only took advantage of the H2H prior to Canada 2007 when Novak was utter shit and ranked like 75.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I really don't think you can choose your strengths, i bet Roddick when he was 12 was already serving a lot bigger than his club partners his age.. Nadal already had the amazing forehand, same for Gasquet and his backhand. Yes, they can and will polish those strengths and made them bigger weapons in some cases but they were always strength to begin with, in my opinion.
That’s a fair point, I do think players were naturally good with their weapons when they started.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts