·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Very sad news - just when he apparently got back to good form... :sad:

Get well soon, Tommy! :hug:

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
And here I thought that he'd only have to deal with that illness for a few days. How wrong I was...

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
I really don't understand how a sinus infection can be so serious. I had them all the time as a kid to the point where they even x-rayed my sinuses, but I was always fine after a couple days of antibiotics. This really is just absolutely bizarre to me.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
I really don't understand how a sinus infection can be so serious. I had them all the time as a kid to the point where they even x-rayed my sinuses, but I was always fine after a couple days of antibiotics. This really is just absolutely bizarre to me.
Like with a lot of other infections (;)), the seriousness varies from person-to-person and from case-to-case. I've had a friend struggling with it for over three weeks, and he wasn't actually a cry-baby - the infection kept on coming back a few days after treatment. Could be due to antibiotic-resistant bacteria, just to name one cause.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
He might be having a reaction to the meds, as well. Hard to say, especially if he isn't giving out details. I've had one very bad sinus infection in my life. I went to bed for two days, took the antibiotics and it went away fairly quickly. I was one of the lucky ones, I suppose, but I can believe that they can be more severe.

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
Well what a joke again. Though this time I am not as mad because he is on Rafa's side:p:lol:

Reactions: Eden

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Disappointing this is. Just when he starts to play well again, he has more problems. Good luck to GGL then.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
So it's ok for Haas to have illness but not Federer...

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
Trouble with sinus infections is if they spread to cause trouble for the ears as well, which can lead to balance and co-ordination problems, and nausea. I've had loads of sinus infections over the years, whch cleared up after a few days with antibiotics and no real problems, but then earlier this year I had one that spread to my "inner ear", and it took about 2 weeks to clear up. The pain was awful, and every time I tried to move I went dizzy from the pressure inside the ear- you couldn't possibly play tennis in that state :sad: I hope he gets well soon.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Trouble with sinus infections is if they spread to cause trouble for the ears as well, which can lead to balance and co-ordination problems, and nausea. I've had loads of sinus infections over the years, whch cleared up after a few days with antibiotics and no real problems, but then earlier this year I had one that spread to my "inner ear", and it took about 2 weeks to clear up. The pain was awful, and every time I tried to move I went dizzy from the pressure inside the ear- you couldn't possibly play tennis in that state :sad: I hope he gets well soon.
He was able to fly to Miami so his condition cannot be as bad as yours was. Still.. he is a professional tennis player. He cannot just take every medication we can take in such cases. Most of the stuff is on the doping list. Especially medication against cold and fever. So without the hard medication such an illness can be much worse than normal

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
He was able to fly to Miami so his condition cannot be as bad as yours was. Still.. he is a professional tennis player. He cannot just take every medication we can take in such cases. Most of the stuff is on the doping list. Especially medication against cold and fever. So without the hard medication such an illness can be much worse than normal
That's true - they would not have let him fly if his ears were that badly affected -admit I hadn't thought of that. But you're right about the medication thing. A work colleague of mine has a throat infection at the moment, and because she's pregnant, she can't take normal antibiotics or medication, so it is lasting much longer than would normally be expected. Tennis players have to be so careful about everything they eat or drink these days, so probably choose not to take any meds at all just to be very sure in case of a doping test, so therefore they take longer to recover from seemingly simple things than you or I would do.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts

so a Nadal vs Kiefer match looks to be in the cards now.

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
Like with a lot of other infections (;)), the seriousness varies from person-to-person and from case-to-case. I've had a friend struggling with it for over three weeks, and he wasn't actually a cry-baby - the infection kept on coming back a few days after treatment. Could be due to antibiotic-resistant bacteria, just to name one cause.
I know, I'm not stupid, it just seems bizarre that it's so serious to keep him out of two major tournaments. I'm not saying he's a faker or that he's not really suffering, but it's still bizarre to me :shrug: As far as I'm aware, the players are allowed to take antibiotics - so I can't imagine he's not taking anything, otherwise they literally take months to go away (my friend has a young son who had one that went untreated for almost a year and has affected the way he speaks), if at all. If it affected his inner ear or turned into a balance type of problem that's obviously quite different but as far as I've ever been aware, those are pretty rare. It's just a shame for him and the fans that he's pulling out of featured matches so late.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts