1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roddick v. Bjorkman
Bjorkman leads 1:0
2002 Nottingham, Grass, R32 Bjorkman 5 7 5 7

Analysis: Interesting that these two have met only once, last year on grass, with Bjorkman winning in two, albiet tight, sets. This is Bjorkman's best surface but Roddick, under Brad Gilbert, is a different player than he was even a month ago. It's his time to get to make his move into the Big Leagues.

Pick: Roddick in straights.

Henman v. Grosjean
Henman leads 3:2

2003 London / Queen's Club, Grass, S Grosjean 3 6 4 6
2003 Hamburg TMS, Clay, R32 Henman 6 0 3 6 6 2
2000 Indian Wells, Hard, R32 Grosjean 3 6 6 3 5 7
2000 Australian Open, Hard, Henman 6 1 6 4 4 6 7 6
1999 Wimbledon, Grass, R32 Henman 6 1 6 7 6 3 6 2

Analysis: This is have been a very even matchup with both players having beaten each other on grass. However, this isn't just any tournament. And Henman isn't just any player. Unlike some :)cough: Mauresmo :cough) Henman seems to ride on the pressure of his countrymen. With the Brits behind him with every serve, return and towel wipe, there is no way Henman will lose before the Semis.
Pick: Henman in four.

Federer v. Schalken
Federer leads 4:1

2003 Miami TMS, Hard, R16 Federer 6 3 6 2
2003 Rotterdam, Hard, Q Federer 6 2 6 4
2003 NED v. SUI WG 1st RD, Carpet, RR Federer 7 6 6 4 7 5
2002 's-Hertogenbosch, Grass, Q Schalken 6 3 5 7 3 6
2001 US Open, Hard, R32 Federer 6 4 7 5 7 6

Analysis: Interesting that Schalken's only victory over Federer has come on grass. Could an upset be brewing? This match, I believe, will be determined on Federer's racquet. Federer hurt his back prior to his 4th rd. match against Lopez. Ironically, focusing on the pain may have relieved some of the pressure he puts on himself to perform well at Slams. If so, maybe a little back pain will be just what is needed against Schalken to keep his UFEs low.

Analysis: Federer in five.

Philippoussis v. Popp
These two have never played each other before.

Analysis: Comeback v. Comeback. Who has the most fire and desire? Philippousis has been brilliant in scouting out his opponents. How does he play Agassi, the player who had his number and is the best returner in the game? Make sure he doesn't have a chance to return! Popp is a serve and volleyer and Philippoussis is going to put on a fireworks display of aces and passing shots.

Analysis: Philippousis in straights.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Not only Federer is hurting but also Schalken is having troubles with his foot.

As Schalken said it's the blind vs. the crippled.

Allleeezzz Roger make it 4 in a row!!

·
MY BOY HAS 17 GRAND SLAMS
16,844 Posts
Doris Loeffel said:
Not only Federer is hurting but also Schalken is having troubles with his foot.

Allleeezzz Roger make it 4 in a row!!
I'd rather see a three setter, get it over and done with... ;)

btw., SF (about time) will be showing this match this afternoon. :bounce:

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Mrs. B said:
I'd rather see a three setter, get it over and done with... ;)

btw., SF (about time) will be showing this match this afternoon. :bounce:
Hi MRs. B.!

Now that's a match I'd love to see... both Rogi and Feli were playing well... and I think Feli was looking desperate in the 3rd set after ROgi came back after being down 03! I was following the SPanish commentary!!

Enjoy!

now back to waiting... damn the rain! will Rogi ever play his QF?? :mad:

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Hmm... I'm not sure how much homework has been done on Popp, because I saw the stats early in the final set and he hadn't served and volleyed once in the entire match, on either first or second serve. Philippoussis, by contrast, was in at the net after every delivery.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Doris Loeffel said:
ROFLMAO

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sjengster said:
Hmm... I'm not sure how much homework has been done on Popp, because I saw the stats early in the final set and he hadn't served and volleyed once in the entire match, on either first or second serve. Philippoussis, by contrast, was in at the net after every delivery.
Yeah, 1st two sets seemed to show that. Seems like he has been able to figure Popp out before it was too late. Hope he finishes him off tomorrow and prove Mal (and me) right ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts