Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
POWER...UNLIMITED...POWER
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is H2H only relevant against other multi GS champs when discussing the legacy of some of the greatest players of all time.

What I mean by that is every great player lost to some GS less clown multiple times.

Such as

Federer has -H2H versus Murray
Nadal has -H2H versus Davydenko

What matters is how they do against each other and players like Djokovic in terms of comparisons against greats of other times.

Does it matter how a historical great did against some loser no one will remember (such as Murray or Davydenko) or they do against other greats who are also multi GS champs.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
of course it is ....Fed's H2H against Murray is irrelevant because who the fuck will remember murray in 15 years......

·
Banned
6,118 Posts
The Fedal H2H is totally irrelevant.
Rafa is not in Federer's league.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
It's more relevant vs non-GS winners. That shows you have been beaten by a lesser player multiple times. Being beaten by a great player is nothing. Having a negative H2H vs a older or way lower ranked player means a lot.

Federer is more 5 years older than Nadal. He is way older than Murray too. On clay he has never in reality been higher ranked than Nadal after their very first RG final. Most of his losses are on clay. Nothing strange really. Nadal is supposed to beat Federer on clay given his age advantage.

Age goes the other way too. Enqvist is 3-1 vs Federer. He spanked young Federer a few times on HC while he was still fairly new on the tour and couldn't handle the power of a HC monster like Enqvist. Enqvist the true GOAT? No because Federer was too young then and couldn't handle the skilled veteran who was in the end of his career.

Davydenko vs Nadal on the other hand says something. Nadal wasn't really some fresh guy on the tour when he got most of the beatings. Davy older and lower ranked. I'd say those wins are very legitimate when discussing a dent in his legacy.

·
Banned
5,740 Posts
The Fedal H2H is totally irrelevant.
Rafa is not in Federer's league.
:lol: A typical arrogant statement from a delusional "tennis" fan!

H2H is relevant whenever there is a rivalry between two tennis greats. Remember, Alex Corretja and Dominik Hrbaty have a winning record against BOTH Federer and Nadal. Does anyone really care too much about it?

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Is H2H only relevant against other multi GS champs when discussing the legacy of some of the greatest players of all time.

What I mean by that is every great player lost to some GS less clown multiple times.

Such as

Federer has -H2H versus Murray
Nadal has -H2H versus Davydenko

What matters is how they do against each other and players like Djokovic in terms of comparisons against greats of other times.

Does it matter how a historical great did against some loser no one will remember (such as Murray or Davydenko) or they do against other greats who are also multi GS champs.

Thoughts?

I wonder if Rafa could read English, he'd be embarrassed for you right now.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
H2H is only relevant between great players during their peaks at their favored surfaces. That is Federer-Nadal is 6-5 and 2-2 in grand slams, a little bit too close on Federer's best surface but still not catastrophic as some people think it is. It is kind of like Mcenroe-Borg outside clay.

When a player turns 30 and before they win their first grand slam h2h is irrelevant. Agassi's 3-8 against Federer is completely irrelevant because 3 wins came when Federer was a teenager and hadnt won a slam and 8 wins came when Agassi was above 30.

·
Banned
6,118 Posts
:lol: A typical arrogant statement from a delusional "tennis" fan!

H2H is relevant whenever there is a rivalry between two tennis greats. Remember, Alex Corretja and Dominik Hrbaty have a winning record against BOTH Federer and Nadal. Does anyone really care too much about it?
I don't get it.
Yes Nadal has a winning record against Federer (but 6-5 for Fed outside clay).
So what?

Is Nadal credible for GOAT contention anyway? No, so we don't care about this H2H.

It's a detail of history.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
I don't get it.
Yes Nadal has a winning record against Federer (but 6-5 for Fed outside clay).
So what?

Is Nadal credible for GOAT contention anyway? No, so we don't care about this H2H.

so what do they do on clay? do they play checkers on clay?

why dont you try some objectivity for change?

the reason you "dont get it" is perhaps you are not capable of getting it.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Really, is the only H2H relevant for Nadal nowadays is the one against Djokovic? Like winning a match against him again?

·
Banned
10,825 Posts
I wonder if Rafa could read English, he'd be embarrassed for you right now.
If Rafa came to visit this site and saw what is most hard-core fans are like, he'd retire from tennis.

·
Banned
6,118 Posts
so what do they do on clay? do they play checkers on clay?

why dont you try some objectivity for change?

the reason you "dont get it" is perhaps you are not capable of getting it.
Yes Rafa has a great winning record against Fed on clay.
So what?

·
Registered
934 Posts
H2H is relevant of course but only in comparing Player 1 against Player 2 but not on determining who is the greatest player. Tennis is not just played against one player over and over and over, it's played against the field which is why the greatness of a player is measured by number of tournaments won.

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
Much rather win trophies than worry about the head to head.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yes Nadal has a winning record against Federer

So what?

No, so we don't care about this H2H.

I would call this a whole in Federer's legacy...

Apart from being know as the best in history he will be known like someone who had disastrously painful record vs his nearest rival!

·
Banned
10,825 Posts
I would call this a whole in Federer's legacy...

Apart from being know as the best in history he will be known like someone who had disastrously painful record vs his nearest rival!
*hole...

And no. Fed will be remembered as the GOAT who could have been greater had he not been a contemporary of the clay dauphin. Nadal makes Federer's legacy even mightier.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Head to Head is important but at the end of the day, Federer has 16 slams and 285 (237 consecutive) weeks at #1

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
*hole...

And no. Fed will be remembered as the GOAT who could have been greater had he not been a contemporary of the clay dauphin. Nadal makes Federer's legacy even mightier.
this would be true if Nadal had 10 slams and Fed had beaten him in like 7 finals.....

1 - 20 of 123 Posts