(65) Fernando Verdasco - retiring?
(98) Philipp Kohlschreiber - retiring?
(110) Jaume Munar - ???
(113) Alexei Popyrin - getting a wildcard, obviously
(122) Andy Murray - also obviously getting a WC
(127) JJ Wolf - ???
(157) Juan Martín del Potro - still eternally injured
(175) Marcel Granollers - retiring?

Out of the guys that qualified and would have gotten into the draw, these are the eight that aren't. the wildcards are obvious, and the retirements are probable, but there's still a lot of questions. Any insight from anyone on any of these guys?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
quick edit - I noticed Munar is on the main draw alternate list, so he just must be assuming there are a handful of withdrawals. 🤷‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
(110) Jaume Munar - ???
(127) JJ Wolf - ???

Out of the guys that qualified and would have gotten into the draw, these are the eight that aren't. the wildcards are obvious, and the retirements are probable, but there's still a lot of questions. Any insight from anyone on any of these guys?
Verdasco's wife just gave birth a couple of hours ago, seems like Nando wants to rather spend some time with his family without risking anything.
Kohlschreiber hasn't reacted to the list yet, I just reckon that he feels he's not ready for the Australian Open for an instant L with two weeks of quarantine and so on. I think he just rather desires to play some Challengers in France, same with Nando maybe.

They won't be the only names missing at next year's AO tho. Guess that people who are not in form will rather decide against the expansive trip plus quarantine to Aussieland and rather stay to play some minor tournaments in Europe

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah. (y)I expect tons of withdrawals to come, these are just the first official ones, not having bothered to register at all, as opposed to the "game time decisions" that will surely come over the first couple weeks.

I agree Kohli will still grind out tournaments here and there, but i bet Verdasco could say enoughs enough this is as good a time as any to hang it up and start the charity/legends tour type stuff

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also feel that if i were a betting man, that Granollers is just like "i'm sick of this" and focusing on his very successful doubles career full-time now.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Verdasco also had a knee surgery recently... and as previously mentioned his second son was born a couple of days ago.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
(110) Jaume Munar - ???
(127) JJ Wolf - ???

Good thread, Matthieu. I have been reading in the Spanish language press that Del Potro won't be ready yet and his quotes are all very detached from specific time frames. The Spanish sports dailies reported on Verdasco but also said that he hadn't provided any comments either.

·
Registered
59,338 Posts
I also feel that if i were a betting man, that Granollers is just like "i'm sick of this" and focusing on his very successful doubles career full-time now.
IIRC he turned down an alt singles spot at the USO

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers for the responses on this Christmas eve/day. 😎

I think the majority of these deals have an explanation. I don't see one for JJ Wolf though? From what i've read, the reciprocal wildcards are off this year? so that wouldn't explain it...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gotcha, well, he will definitely get one. To each their own whether he should but the fact that he didn't even bother entering qualies speaks for it self.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Gotcha, well, he will definitely get one. To each their own whether he should but the fact that he didn't even bother entering qualies speaks for it self.
I mean Murray isn't a former Australian open champion. I think Murray has some self respect and will rather not play at all then play qualies.Losing in Qualies would be utterly embarrasing.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You know it makes me wonder what or who runs these guys? I bring this up with Chris O'Connell and Marc Polmans, both have known forever i'm sure they were gonna get wildcards, Polmans didn't register for qualifes, O'Connell still did, what's the difference, what's the point?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I mean Murray isn't a former Australian open champion. I think Murray has some self respect and will rather not play at all then play qualies.Losing in Qualies would be utterly embarrasing.
Tom Robredo still does it. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So should Murray get a wildcard or not in your opinion? your arguments are very all over the place, you argue for and against it. 🤷‍♂️

1 - 20 of 39 Posts