Mens Tennis Forums banner

What do you think of Gulbis' MTO?

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“That’s part of the game,” Federer said of Gulbis’ timeout. “He didn’t look hurt in any way. But if you can use it, you might as well do it.”

Gulbis said he reluctantly requested the timeout because of back and hamstring tightness.

“I’m not big on medical timeouts,” he said. “I don’t like to take it, but I take it when it’s really necessary. I didn’t want to take it in the fifth set, so I took it in the end of the fourth set. Unfortunately, it was before his serve.”
http://tennis.si.com/2014/06/01/roger-federer-ernests-gulbis-french-open/
What do you think?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
It's about time someone 'did a Federer' against Federer himself and used gamesmanship to help themselves win.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
It's about time someone 'did a Federer' against Federer himself and used gamesmanship to help themselves win.
Federer must have used like 2 MTO in his whole carreer! :spit:

The only time I remember it infact, is against Mugray at WTF 2008, and he had to have his back massaged every 2 games... Spartan warriors Dullovic would have retired in these conditions! :superlol:

·
Registered
20,715 Posts
pathetic cheater, acting some big personality but in reality he is spoiled dad's soon who could be loved only from deluded fangirls, that's what Gulbis is. he enjoyed in two fluke weeks, now seems to be ready to get back to be losing to Fucsovics and futures level company

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Federer must have used like 2 MTO in his whole carreer! :spit:

The only time I remember it infact, is against Mugray at WTF 2008, and he had to have his back massaged every 2 games... Spartan warriors Dullovic would have retired in these conditions! :superlol:
IIRC, he used at AO against Davydenko when he was losing. Or was it just extended bathroom break?

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
pathetic cheater, acting some big personality but in reality he is spoiled dad's soon who could be loved only from deluded fangirls, that's what Gulbis is. he enjoyed in two fluke weeks, now seems to be ready to get back to be losing to Fucsovics and futures level company
:worship:

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
It was an extended bathroom break, not an MTO. it was all tactical, Federer himself admitted it.
It worked. That said, I don't remember him pulling off that stuff often, either as MTO's or otherwise.

Can't comment on Gulbis', haven't seen. In any case, I wish they'd implement some more specific rules about MTOs and attempt to control its abuse. As it is nothing, preventing a player form simply getting a massage when they deem desirable for one reason or another.

·
Registered
21,282 Posts
It worked. That said, I don't remember him pulling off that stuff often, either as MTO's or otherwise.

Can't comment on Gulbis', haven't seen. In any case, I wish they'd implement some more specific rules about MTOs and attempt to control its abuse. As it is nothing, preventing a player form simply getting a massage when they deem desirable for one reason or another.
I think Gulbis was tactical because he didn't looked injured at all, he was just making errors all over the place, and Fed was playing much better, but Gulbis looked perfectly fine to me, I think he used that MTO to try get some time to think and disrupt Federer's rhythm. Immediately after that, he stopped missing any shots. Federer eventually won the set but Gulbis was clearly looking much better.

It was tactical imo.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hard to know how legit MTO was but it is kinda funny how people are always 100% sure it is all fake without anything legit behind it... Personally I think he might have very well started to feel a bit worse so he decided to take MTO before it became too painful to play well :shrug: . Don't exactly understand all whine taking it 2 breaks down anyway, not like it is really such situation that makes it all that disadvantageous to your opponent usually :wavey:.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts