Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2014/06/24/Gulbis-Top-10-Emirates-ATP-Rankings.aspx

“I'm not going to celebrate,” said Gulbis after his defeat to Djokovic. “It's not enough. I need to reach more now. Now I'm addicted to success, really. I need to make this extra step now. I'm extra motivated.”
As he now turns his attention to the grass-court swing, beginning at the Aegon Championships next week, the Riga native has set his sights on the World No. 1 mantle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good. Ride the wave, Surfer-forehand boy.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
good to see that he got a nice boost from RG, it's always great to watch motivated Gulbis play.

·
Registered
14,493 Posts
He has no chance for ATP #1 as long as Rafa+Nole will keep playing. When they both will retire... who knows, everything is possible. The young generation is crap, e.g. Thiem needs a lot of improving if he really wants to compete for the top.
All in all, Gulbis has a good shot if he keeps improving his FH and avoids big mental lapses.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Definitely the right attitude to have. After all those years he clowned away, it's good to see him finally really wanting it. And it's not too late for him yet - he is "just" 25 so I'm excited to see what he can do in next 2-3 years if he keeps this up.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
you know Gulbis means business when he starts seeing tennis as an addiction

·
Registered
83 Posts
The reporter said he has his sights on no.1. He didn't say he did technically, just that he wants success. Which might be in the form of winning more matches, titles, slams etc.

Obviously getting to no.1 is a lot harder and requires consistency but good to see him realising his potential

·
Registered
176 Posts
GOATbis is worse on clay than on other surfaces... So IMO he could / should eclipse Murrays slam count if he realised his potential, the true #4 of the big 4

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
What success?

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
English isn't his first language after all, he meant cocaine

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
He was named for Ernest Hemingway and, apparently has decided to emulate all the writer's most negative traits, primarily womanizing. He has no way with words and I can't imagine he has polydactyl cats-or any other pets.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Haven't they told you? Ernie's career is nothing more than a sociological project to expose gloryhunters and bandwagoners.

In all seriousness: He's had many physical problems since saying that. Watch healthy Gulbis make another one of his infamous comebacks in 2016.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts