Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former coach to Thomas Muster, Henri Leconte and Boris Becker, Austrian Gunther Bresnik’s new charge is Ernests Gulbis, whom he has transformed into a focused, hard-working player. He appears (deliberately?) to have little optimism before his semifinal against Djokovic.

On his match against Berdych

“Ernests played a truly excellent match in the quarter final. As soon as Berdych had any chances to get back in the game, Ernests took control quite brilliantly. He served very well when he needed to, especially on the second serve, sent lobs at the right time and I think his passing shots were also really effective.”

The new Gulbis
“Ernests also had a very good attitude on the court towards Berdych and throughout the tournament. Now he knows he can keep up the pace because he works hard. His win over Federer was not an end in itself. Physically, he is now tapping into his potential. I think he has a greater hitting range than before, and is particularly strong on drop shots and lobs”.

Djokovic the favourite
“Ernests hasn’t a hope against Novak. Djokovic is the favourite here, he’s tried several times before and this time he’ll be the one to lift the trophy at Roland Garros, I’m sure of it. I guarantee you.”

What are Gulbis’ chances?
“He’d need a miracle. Without a miracle there’s no chance. Ernests is playing at a high level. But he’s still 10-15% lower than Djokovic’s average. Novak plays consistently for hours, so 3 or 4 games per set would be incredible for Ernests. I’m already very happy with how the tournament’s gone. Even if Novak has an off-day, the gap is too great, he has more experience. And Djokovic really wants the title.”

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2014-06-05/201406051401970545421.html

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Lmao.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
NewsBot in full form. :worship:

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Thank you Gulbis. Throw in the towel like Ferrer... please!

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
This is either some epic trolling or worst coach ever
How about both?

ReturnAce is trolling us by constantly posting news, and Gulbis' coach is the worst coach ever :shrug:

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
This is either some epic trolling or worst coach ever
Hard to question his methods, given the results. He took over pretty much exactly 2 years ago, when Gulbis' career was in the toilet, 90-100 ranked and going out in R1 everywhere. He'd just lost to Bolelli on grass (!!!!!), and Bubka in Miami.

Since then, 4 titles, 3 masters qfs, two atp500 semis, and tomorrow a slam semi. Steady progress, and now in the top 10 where better draws start to help a lot. He also has a real shot at making the WTF now (looks like a 4-way battle for the 8th spot with Raonic/Dimi/Nishi).

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Mind game.
Won't be surprised if Gulbis takes Djokovic to 5th

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Bresnik knows Gulbis very well by this point and obviously thinks that it's for the best if he plays down Gulbis' chances of causing an upset and thus getting some pressure off Gulbis' shoulders (let's remember that this will be his first GS SF - there is a lot of pressure on him to perform after those results against Federer and Berdych).

One could say that Bresnik is actually speaking the truth here, but it's definitely not because he is a bad coach or wants to ruin Gulbis' confidence. Although I must admit that some of what he says is really harsh and somewhat surprising. But I'm sure Bresnik knows what he is doing. :lol:

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
Bresnik is a different cat but he knows how to bring the best out of players and his track record proves it. Djokovic is way too savvy to read into these comments though...

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
:rolls:

NewsBot GOATing

·
Banned
83 Posts
Bresnik is a different cat but he knows how to bring the best out of players and his track record proves it. Djokovic is way too savvy to read into these comments though...
Yup, that's what I'm thinking as well. Djokovic isn't an idiot.

It's hard to guess the intentions of Gunther, but that's because he wants it that way.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
:facepalm:

What is going on in this tournament? First Ferrer, now this. Going to have to agree with all the "weak era" vocalists if this keeps up.
You act like these are Gulbis' words. They are not. I'm 100% sure that he will not go out there with the thought that he has already lost that match.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts