Mens Tennis Forums banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,671 Posts
World Beater said:
The thread starter is misleading but was it necessary to bash federer in order to prove your point. Coria has played nadal twice on clay. He got screwed once by nadal and beaten the other. Your analogy is not fair to federer since they have played only once.
That doesn't sound like bashing Federer to say Coria was closer to beating Nadal on clay. I think it's simply an attempt to say something nice about Coria. Coria should do better than Federer on clay against Nadal given his clay court experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,922 Posts
PamV said:
That doesn't sound like bashing Federer to say Coria was closer to beating Nadal on clay. I think it's simply an attempt to say something nice about Coria. Coria should do better on clay against Nadal given his clay court experience.
Yes i guess you are right, but i don't think the analogy is fair since we have only seen them play on clay once. Federer may not win the next time he plays but maybe he will be as close as coria was.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,671 Posts
World Beater said:
Yes i guess you are right, but i don't think the analogy is fair since we have only seen them play on clay once. Federer may not win the next time he plays but maybe he will be as close as coria was.
I could be wrong but I've never considered Federer up there as one of the best clay players.....so I don't think the analogy even matters.

Anyway I think the person was just trying to say the Coria is pretty good if he can do even better than Federer against Nadal on clay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,934 Posts
His speed is not overrated. And nothing else about him is ever raved about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,671 Posts
njnetswill said:
His speed is not overrated. And nothing else about him is ever raved about.
True he's still got the speed and some pretty great drop shots. I wonder about his mental state in matches? Is he less confident? I have a feeling if he did get a big tournament win he would start to play better and better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,456 Posts
Mistaflava said:
he is not TOP 10 material...end of story
And he was the three in the world for a while.

He has 2 TMS, a Slam final, 5 TMS finals, and some other titles. Don't you think that's enough to at least achieve a top ten spot?

Not a favourite of mine, but give him some credit, he's done well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,433 Posts
Coria forever :lol:
 

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
Joined
·
124,503 Posts
Mistaflava said:
once again, I am talking about CURRENT TOP 10 PLAYERS....not TOP 10 at the time.
I don't like the weasel, but you just throw numbers there as your base argument. Sjengster is right it's top 10 at the time. Gaudio beat Nadal in Buenos Aires this year, he was not top 10 at the time in the Race or more importantly the Entry System, clearly flawed. Most of the top 10 have been top 10 for most of the year, but Nadal and Davydenko weren't there earlier in the year for example.

It's not accurate. Then again coming from you with some of the stuff you have said I am not surprised.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,830 Posts
PamV said:
That doesn't sound like bashing Federer to say Coria was closer to beating Nadal on clay. I think it's simply an attempt to say something nice about Coria. Coria should do better than Federer on clay against Nadal given his clay court experience.

Yes, thank you for saying what I was going to say.

I never meant to bash Federer in any way, and I am sorry if it sounded like that but I didn't. I just thought that taking the #1 tennis player in the world as a comparison to what Coria did was the right thing to do since he was the one expected to have more chances beating Rafa. Just my point of view.


Oh and, Mistaflava, could you name the players Gaudio and Puerta have beaten (from the Top 10) and lost to, and the ones Coria has to.
Because, as far as I know, it's not the same facing Roddick and Hewitt than Moya and Davydenko, lets say.

GeorgeWHitler said:
I don't like the weasel, but you just throw numbers there as your base argument. Sjengster is right it's top 10 at the time. Gaudio beat Nadal in Buenos Aires this year, he was not top 10 at the time in the Race or more importantly the Entry System, clearly flawed. Most of the top 10 have been top 10 for most of the year, but Nadal and Davydenko weren't there earlier in the year for example.

It's not accurate. Then again coming from you with some of the stuff you have said I am not surprised.
Agreed. (only that I do like, as you like to call it "the weasel" ;) )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,830 Posts
Mistaflava said:
he is not TOP 10 material...end of story
If you're going to base facts on your opinion, then why even start a thread where obviously many will have other opinions? Just wondering you know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Carito_90 said:
If you're going to base facts on your opinion, then why even start a thread where obviously many will have other opinions? Just wondering you know.


you are entitled to your own opinion. I never said other TOP 10 players weren't also overrated. However, Guille just doesn't have it this year and should have dropped out of the TOP 10 by now. Much like France was #2 in the FIFA rankings for the longest time when they should be out of the TOP 10.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,471 Posts
I don't think Coria is overrated. The poor guy has had a run of bad luck and is in a bit of a slump right now. It doesn't help that Nadal :baby: is on the hottest of hot streaks right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,140 Posts
Mistaflava said:
he is not TOP 10 material...end of story
so tell me why is he ranked 5th in the race and 8th in the entry ranking? former number 3 of the world? yes, i admit, at the moment he has a bad stretch and is far away from his best, but numbers don't lie i think.
 

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
Joined
·
124,503 Posts
Coria is a very good player and as for being overrated, doesn't that depend on what criteria it's measured on. For the record I don't think he is, he is still one of the best players on clay, and he has made finals on all surfaces, can't have fluked his way to all of them. I don't see him as a # 1, but that's not the point, it's not like he is wasting talent.
 

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
Joined
·
124,503 Posts
Tennis_Passion said:
That's the reason we need quality points in ATP too.
Good to see you are not being serious with that post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
lol...why say that...i mean, that's the whole reason ATP ranking has sucked for the past decade...
Ya, it has sucked cuz of many things, but that sure is one of them:).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,224 Posts
He is not been overrated last year, he was a very good player. But he is not so well this year. But he is not been overrated because nobody is speaking of him and it is quiet with him. A normally player only a bit outside of top 10 ranking. Nobody is giving him more hype than he deserve in moment and to his ranking.
 

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
Joined
·
124,503 Posts
Tennis_Passion said:
lol...why say that...i mean, that's the whole reason ATP ranking has sucked for the past decade...
Ya, it has sucked cuz of many things, but that sure is one of them:).
You haven't thought about why I said that and as for the ATP ranking system. No, WTA arguments don't work on this board, and neither does the ranking system.

If you followed mens tennis then you'd know why quality points aren't awarded.
 
41 - 60 of 63 Posts
Top