Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Mistaflava said:
it doesn't matter who was TOP 10...we are talking about TOP 10 right now.
It would make more sense to use the rankings at the time. That's what was used last year when Federer was unbeaten against TOP 10 players because he lost against Henman in Rotherdam who wasn't TOP 10 then.
But because the ATP use the Race Ranking everywhere on their website, that makes it difficult to figure out...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Coria's career has been so up and down . . . and last year has been tough for him to rebound from but he's played some great tennis this year considering he is coming back from surgery. He still hasn't found his rhythm in 2005 - emotional or otherwise out there - and has been over scheduled this summer which doesn't help.

There are a lot of players out there who are at times overrated and inconsistent . . . he is in good company . . . I think the men's game has a lot of really good talent these days but it gets lost in the hype of Nadal and the incredible % of injuries. If they all show (and are healthy), the USO should be amazing . .

And if you are going to talk about somebody being overrated, then Roddick has to go to the top of the list . . . yes he wins tournaments but who is in the field when he plays??

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
Sol Apollo said:
What's Roddick's record against top 10 players this year?

I´m not sure, but I think it has to be 1-3 (2 losses against Hewitt and one loss to Roger). I don´t know if Moya was ranked in the top 10 at the time around the IW tourney. If he wasn´t, Andy´s record would be 0-3.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Nope, he's not overrated - no-one has touted him as one of the very top players this year at least, considering he's still on the comeback trail. He hasn't played that many matches compared to other Top 10 players, nearly all his good results have been on clay and inevitably most of his wins en route to the finals of Monte Carlo and Rome were not over top players, considering that a lot of them were injured or inconsistent or are simply bad on clay. He's still pushed Nadal closer on clay than anyone else managed, but the way he lost those matches, especially in Rome, must have been a considerable mental blow. I'd expect him to beat a couple of Top 10ers on fast surfaces before the year is out, maybe they'll be his fellow compatriots (e.g. Gaudio in Cincy if the draw works out) but I still think he'll do it.

Beating a future Top 10 player when they're outside the Top 10 doesn't count - Nadal was 51 in the world when Ljubicic beat him in Doha, and it's amazing to think how rapidly he progressed after that defeat, since he was nowhere near the player then that he is now.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Coria is a better all-court player then he's given credit for and I don't see why he's overrated. This year he didn't show top 10 results consistently, and he wasn't always in the top 10, even. So, what's the matter?

·
Registered
13,830 Posts
Coria overrated because he hasn't beaten any top 10 player recently?
Then what are Puerta and Gaudio doing there? I dont see them beating any top ten player either yet no one complains about them being up there.
If you excuse me, Coria got closer than Federer ever got to beat Rafa on clay. That's quite an achievement if you ask me.

Let alone the fact that Coria has had a very bad year this year. I am hoping he'll have a better one next one.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Carito_90 said:
Then what are Puerta and Gaudio doing there? I dont see them beating any top ten player either yet no one complains about them being up there.
If you excuse me, Coria got closer than Federer ever got to beat Rafa on clay. That's quite an achievement if you ask me.

Let alone the fact that Coria has had a very bad year this year. I am hoping he'll have a better one next one.

you don't make any sense bro.

GASTON GAUDIO is 3-4 versus TOP 10 PLAYERS in 2005

MARIANO PUERTA is 1-5 versus TOP 10 PLAYERS in 2005

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Are you sure those stats aren't the wrong way round? Gaudio has one win over a Top 10 player this year, and that was a retirement by Davydenko in the semis of Stuttgart. Puerta, on the other hand, has had three straight victories this year against Moya, and I'm pretty sure the latter was still Top 10 on all those occasions.

They have to be Top 10 when the player beats them to count, not future or would-be Top 10ers.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Mistaflava said:
Does anyone think he is kinda overrated? I mean he has played well at times and I am a big fan of his but when you are considered one of the world's top players, it is pretty unacceptable to go 1-7 versus TOP 10 PLAYERS in 2005.

Anyone else think that he doesn't do anything against top players? Still like the guy but he is a tad bit overatted in my opinion.

Thoughts?
I liked him when he first started to rise. Then I began to notice him losing matches that he shouldn't lose....the first one was against Verkerk in the FO 2003 SF. After that there was the Miami 2004 Final when he was beating Roddick and then suddenly had a kidney stone attack. Then he had that weird FO 2004 final with Gaudio where he had the match in the bag and the began to cramp for no real apparent reason other than nerves after that.....he seemed to really go down hill.

He developed a shoulder problem after that and they say his serve has never been the same. Now that Nadal completely dominated the clay court season must make him feel very jealous. That could work to motivate him more, or it might just make him bitter.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Sjengster said:
Are you sure those stats aren't the wrong way round? Gaudio has one win over a Top 10 player this year, and that was a retirement by Davydenko in the semis of Stuttgart. Puerta, on the other hand, has had three straight victories this year against Moya, and I'm pretty sure the latter was still Top 10 on all those occasions.

They have to be Top 10 when the player beats them to count, not future or would-be Top 10ers.

once again, I am talking about CURRENT TOP 10 PLAYERS....not TOP 10 at the time.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
taking the TOP 10 at the time is absolutely useless. The current TOP 10 is perfect because it reflects the players who have been the best of 2005.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
ys said:
He is not overrated.. he is just a claycourter..
have to agree on this one. Coria had a very good clay season actually, he just happened to run into a better clay courter than himself in two big finals.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Carito_90 said:

The thread starter is misleading but was it necessary to bash federer in order to prove your point. Coria has played nadal twice on clay. He got screwed once by nadal and beaten the other. Your analogy is not fair to federer since they have played only once.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts