Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Good Luck Guga! take home the prize in front of the home crowd! ;)

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
TennisHack said:
Hitman, are you going to be able to go at all?
I wish. Its so expensinve and far away. :sad:
Ill get it on tv, thats the most. :p

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Guga in Brasil

hitman said:
I wish. Its so expensinve and far away. :sad:
Ill get it on tv, thats the most. :p
:( Well, you'll have TV coverage, that's more than I'll have. I don't think I have coverage until the DC semis, and after that, Moscow.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Guga plays the last match of Tuesday, which should be around 7:30 pm Brazil time.
Also, its his birthday. So he better win and give US the present. :p

GO GUGA! :D

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Congrats Guga on your first title win of 2002! :bounce:

i think hitman has to add something to his sig!;)

Kuerten wins Brazil Open
.c The Associated Press

COSTA DO SAUIPE, Brazil (AP) - Gustavo Kuerten won his first title of the year Sunday, fighting hard in scorching sunshine to beat Argentina's Guillermo Coria 6-7 (4), 7-5, 7-6 (2)in the final of the Brazil Open.

Kuerten, a the former No. 1 player in the world, underwent hip surgery in February this year.

``I think there is nothing better than this achievement to motivate and realize dreams, to win here in Brazil,'' said Kuerten, a three-time French Open champion and Brazilian native. ``Here, in this heat, to lose (the first set), to save match point. If you wanted to write a more dramatic novel you couldn't.''

The win will likely push Kuerten back into the top 40 of the ATP rankings.

Kuerten got off to a strong start, breaking Coria's first service game. The Argentine recovered to push Kuerten all the way, breaking service and taking the first set in the tiebreaker.

Both players held serve in the second set until Kuerten broke Coria at 6-5 to even the match.

Coria had a match point at 5-4 in the third set but hit a shot into the net. Kuerten held serve and eventually won the tiebreaker.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts

hey hitman, you post on Tennis for Friends?! that's kewl, so do i!:D

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
GugA!!!!!! you did it!!!!!!! you're the best ever!!!!!!!!! continue like that, and you'll return soon to the top!!!!!!!!! GOOOO

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
:wavey: Billabong! haven't seen you in a while.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
THE TITLE SPECIAL PART ONE:

First round, Guga defeats Julian Knowle 64 62
Julian didnt have enough power, mobility or quality to be in the same level during all the match. It should have been even easier, but Kuerten was nervous to play at home after what had happened last year. He had some brilliant moments, but on the majority of the match, he just took care of Knowle.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
THE TITLE SPECIAL PART TWO:

Guga defeats Mashiska Washington 60 75
Weird match. Mashiska has different shots, since he has a continental grip for all of them. Guga started playing a show. He was just too good. He even said in the interview after the match that it was luck of the ones who taped the match :)D) since that kind of stuff wouldnt happen a lot anymore. Everything was goind in, and working perfectly. The second set, though, was different. Guga started saving energy for his games of serve as soon as he got an early break, and Mashiska started playing a little better. When the brazilian was serving for the match on 5-4, he got tight and Washington took advantage. Guga broke again just after, though, and served to win the match.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
THE TITLE SPECIAL PART THREE:

Guga defeats Gaston Etlis 76(5) 61
This was the first time Guga had troubles in the tournament. Etlis plays serve-and-volley all the time (including his second serves), and because he is a great doubles player his volleys are very good. Guga took a little long to get adjusted to his style, and the first set was tough. No breaks, Guga had ONE breakpoint and Etlis none. In the tiebreak, Guga stepped up and got an early minibreak that messed with Gaston. The second set was another match. Etlis could no longer keep the ball in play with his volleys, his serve lost a lot of the juice, and Guga started his private show. He was just a step away from another bagel.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
THE TITLE SPECIAL PART FOUR:

Guga defeats Ramon Delgado 64 67(3) 63
This match had two stories. The first was Guga hitting the crap out of the ball and winning point after point, with Ramon running to all the parts of the court to keep one more ball in play. Guga opened a 64 54 lead, and went to serve for the match. He got tight, unfocused and Ramon took the advantage to break him (kudos to Delgado for noticing Gugas fragile mental moment). They kept it going untill the tiebreak, when Delgado played really well to win it. The third set was hard to see, since they were both VERY tired, and Guga gave all he had to win it in the end. Very emotional to see both the guys almost at their limits but still runnind and trying and not giving up at any rate. Guga still had to play doubles, and he did it. :eek: AND WON :eek: :eek:
That clinched him to play both the finals. It had already been the best week of the year for him, now it was even better, since it was the first time he got past the quarters, and he had a shot at the title, and was even alive on doubles still!
But there was still an obstacle: Guillermo "Mago" Coria. And the argentinian was kicking ass!

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
THE TITLE SPECIAL PART FIVE:

Guga defeats Guillermo Coria 67(4) 75 76(2)
What a match! What a way to finish the unbelievable week these two players had. Emotionally spinning, great. Both players were serving well, but both were returning incredibly well too. They managed to hold serves easily, and to break serves easily. They had some rallies that were just perfect. I was on the edge of my seat all the time. When it was deep in the second set and Guga lost his break lead (he was leading 43 and serving and Coria broke) I couldnt watch it anymore. I kept walking around, pretending I was not giving a rats ass. :p Well I was. :eek: Lucky me that I taped it and could watch it again in full. The scoreline says it all: the match was close, as close as a match can be. There was NO moment in the match where you could say who would win. In the end, Guga won because of his bigger experience in decinding titles. But you cant help but praise Coria. The Mago is back. :D

I couldnt help but feel the emotion of this final, since it had LOADS of the Davis Cup atmosphere. Guga is loved by EVERYONE. He was totally touched in the end, but he could hardly breath so tired. He thanked the crowd, the sponsors "and even the linesmen, who dont screw on purpose" (laughing), but especially his family and friends, who "were always more confident than myself that I would win tournaments again". In the end, he thanked the guy who never let him give up, who made he keep it going, and who "is like a father to me", Larri Passos "This win is for you, Larri".
Passos was interviewed while Guga was sitting in his bench, head covered with a towel waiting for the winners celebrations, and he could barely talk. "In the year where I lost everything, I won my player. This win goes to my mother and my father" he said, pointing to the upper sky.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts

"I have to thank God for everything he gives me. Not many people can have so many perfect moments in their lives"

"No, I dont think about being number one again. Im happy that I didnt even think about the injury and that it is healed. I know the title will help my confidence and that I will have a lot more competitive year in 2003. Maybe I can get to the top ten again, and everything that comes from then on is a plus"

"I went over my limits. On that match point against me, I remembered all the work during the week and how badly I wanted the title. That kept me going. [Barrichelo winning the race earlier on Sunday] That helped me, as an inspiration to get into the court motivated"

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
A huge pic from the final match

·
MY BOY HAS 17 GRAND SLAMS
16,844 Posts
awww, that is so touching, indeed...

Guga & Larri, what a team.

Congrats to Guga, i'm happy that he is back. Winning Roland Garros 3 times was quite a feat and i hope he will remain injury free for a long time! Bless him...:)

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Guga and friends celebrating the win

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts