Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thiem is the one to blame on that one. He was leading 4*-2 and 6*-5 in the first set. He then got broken instantly in the 2nd set.
This is absolutely bad for him (and all the Sexy Ears fans), considering the fact that his opponent just came back from a one year ban. This kind of losses will help him though, he'll get stronger after that. No doubt.

But props to Troicki who won pretty convincingly in a match of such importance for him. Well done! :yeah:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Shouldn't be too long till Troicki's back into the top 50 judging by the way he played today.

·
23,063 Posts
Nice performance by Troicki! Even a little rusty, he still looks like a Top 50 player. That being said Thiem really got Troicki into the match giving Troicki so many openings in the 1st Set after breaking him. Supposed to serve for the Set at *5-4 and had a minibreak I think at the TB early but from what I see he just stuck in the baseline and Troicki started to get a read on it and just put the ball back in play. He didn't go to the baseline as he would've hoped and paid the price with bad errors. Eventually he lost the Set and seems to be the will -- probably can't believe that someone just out of the tour for a year, was able to possibly beat him who is improving day by day. He surrendered an early break and later got double broken like he just kind of gave up with 2 really bad errors. Troicki was supposed to serve for the match but got broken by Thiem to love. Thiem then seemingly thinking the match is still in his grasp made a good game, but Troicki probably won't twice in a Set, especially against someone a lot less experienced than him. More work for Thiem but that is just one of his poorest performances of late, especially he was not actually playing bad at first. Needs to up his serve and really get into the baseline opportunities. Good effort by Troicki -- it seems your ability to play doesn't fade, even with some rust.

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
Unexpected for 95 % of the MTF .. Predictions were that Viktor will win no more than 3-4 games ...
But as latso mentioned - almost impossible to predict.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
actually glad, don't like Thiem at all, don't like any of upcoming prospects, watching tennis in next 10yeras will be nightmare with them on top

·
23,063 Posts
Unexpected for 95 % of the MTF .. Predictions were that Viktor will win no more than 3-4 games ...
But as latso mentioned - almost impossible to predict.
I think logically Thiem wins this 9/10 times on both players' forms but I for some reason just feel weird about Thiem's consistency right now (although seeing that L. Mayer reached the Final in Hamburg maybe it wasn't that big of a loss).
:wavey:

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Bravo Viktor, hope he can win at least another round, he needs points and also some wins - so he can ask for WC to tournaments even challengers himself and won´t need Nole to be his PR guy when asking tournament directors, i think his level was great for guy who was out such long time, his serve is big weapon i can see him doing fine on HC maybe he can go to America and win some HC challengers beating US mugs outside top 100 left-right, get points to ranking as fast as he can and he will be top 100 very soon and top 50 is also doable in half year maybe

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Not a good match by Dom. Should really have won this, Troicki offered nothing special.
I think that's a slightly biased opinion.

Good to see Troicki back with a win. He was in the wrong and deserved his drugs ban but I don't believe he was hiding anything. He was just really stupid and now he's served his time.

He was understandably rusty at the start and nervous when serving it out but he played a lot better in the 2nd set and took his chances well. I'm still not sold on Thiem. He has some ability but he seems to have graduated from the Richard Gasquet School Of Court Positioning. I don't know why these guys think they can win standing so far back in the court as you are just giving your opponent the initiative. On top of that, there is something very wrong when Troicki can win a set despite only getting 34% of 1st serves in. :eek:

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
I like Thiem but definetly wanted Troicki to win this

Congrats Viktor :bigclap:

·
23,063 Posts

Good to see Troicki back with a win. He was in the wrong and deserved his drugs ban but I don't believe he was hiding anything. He was just really stupid and now he's served his time.

He was understandably rusty at the start and nervous when serving it out but he played a lot better in the 2nd set and took his chances well. I'm still not sold on Thiem. He has some ability but he seems to have graduated from the Richard Gasquet School Of Court Positioning. I don't know why these guys think they can win standing so far back in the court as you are just giving your opponent the initiative. On top of that, there is something very wrong when Troicki can win a set despite only getting 34% of 1st serves in. :eek:
I really don't get that, really. He was really stuck on the baseline, firing some very good BH but Troicki was able to absorb and return it. All in all Troicki just let the ball in play (with a little good placement on his forehand which Thiem sometimes return it cross court) and wait Thiem to commit error around the end of the 1st Set. He seems more effective when he is at least around a foot inside of the baseline. He also became a little predictable too.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts

You may feel that if you wish. I've seen many of Dom's matches this year and this match was a disappointing one. He was much better in Germany recently.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts