Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Italians are really on a roll:wink2: Berrettini has had a breakthrough year under the radar, and now he’s with his first ATP title, congrats.:yeah: Great level all week, didn’t drop a set and defeated Rublev, Lopez and RBA who are all tricky opponents. Another interesting stat worth mentioning is that he wasn’t broken all week, truly a dominant performance.

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
Re: Gstaad F: Berrettini def. [2]RBA 7-6(9) 6-4

First ATP title without dropping a set or his serve. :bounce: :worship:
Just outside TOP 50 now, where he belongs. :yeah:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Great result, I enjoyed Matteo's play when I saw him first time vs Tiafoe in Rome this year.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts

Great stuff. Berrettini is an interesting player with a good serve and a well rounded game.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,613 Posts

Impressive, I thought RBA would win this but he did it.
The Italians are really on a roll:wink2: Berrettini has had a breakthrough year under the radar, and now he’s with his first ATP title, congrats.:yeah: Great level all week, didn’t drop a set and defeated Rublev, Lopez and RBA who are all tricky opponents. Another interesting stat worth mentioning is that he wasn’t broken all week, truly a dominant performance.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

Berrettini was already good last season (why he wasn't given a WC to the nextgen finals and Quinzi was ???)

Surely a Top20 material, very good to watch.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Berrettini was already good last season (why he wasn't given a WC to the nextgen finals and Quinzi was ???)

Surely a Top20 material, very good to watch.
They had a 8-player WC playoff which Berrettini entered IIRC, but Quinzi won it.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts

They had a 8-player WC playoff which Berrettini entered IIRC, but Quinzi won it.
Yes, he lost against Baldi, who lost against Quinzi.
The Battle For The Final Spot In Milan

This year, his younger brother might be able to qualify. He's only #74 in the Race, but #3 of the Italians.

Since Moroni is so far a pure clay courter, you never know.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Brilliant result!
Berrettini has had a breakthrough year under the radar, and now he’s with his first ATP title, congrats.:yeah: Great level all week, didn’t drop a set and defeated Rublev, Lopez and RBA who are all tricky opponents. Another interesting stat worth mentioning is that he wasn’t broken all week, truly a dominant performance.
Been following him a bit since he caught my eye earlier this year, hope this title propels him to even greater heights on tour.

·
Registered
491 Posts

Singles and doubles in the same tournament, wow! When was the last time that happened?

·
Registered
395 Posts

Matteo :inlove: Unbelievable serving all week, 15+ aces today against a very good returner.

Best Italian prospect in ages, funny he's long been overlooked in favour of Quinzi, Baldi, Donati, Napolitano... :lol:

·
The special one
14,024 Posts

Singles and doubles in the same tournament, wow! When was the last time that happened?
Not sure when the last time it happened, but Harrison is in the singles and doubles final in Atlanta so he has a chance as well, although I doubt he'll beat Isner.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
This one was a surprise to me, I thought Bautista Agut was going to win his third title of the year, but Berrettini had different ideas! Nice to see a new name winning.

For people wondering about when the last time somebody won singles and doubles in the same event like Berrettini did today, from my memory I know Alexander Zverev did that last season at Montpellier. Correct me if there was one more recent that this on the ATP side of things :p

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
Congrats for first title!
Really an Italian prospect comparable with Volandri or even Cecchinato.

What a heavy trophy :eek:h:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Has Berrettini ever served like this?
I was amazed with his 13 aces in the first set against Agut. I know Roberto had some wrist issues at this tournament but he is still solid returner.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts