Evgeny Donskoy (#118)
Konstantin Kravchuk (#220)
Andrey Rublev (#487)

Portugal

João Sousa (#38)
Gastão Elias (#142)
Rui Machado (#271)
Frederico Silva (#362)

51-49 favouritism for Russia, just because of the home factor. Indoor Hard won't be a major problem to Portuguese players. Playing away, may be, specially for our hothead players, like Sousa.

Loser of this tie will go down to Group II

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Doubles teams, should be Kravchuk/Kuznetsov (or Kravchuck/Rublev and for sure Sousa/Elias, unless one of them played a marathon the day before and Silva may replace one of them. Silva has 2 GS junior doubles tittles. He will probably have the best doubles career ever for a portuguese. But he is too young for the importance of this tie.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Russia leads 3-0 in H2H. Last meeting was in 1992.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Winning in Russia would be the Most important win for Portugal in many ears. Hope our players can put the pressure on the russians. It would be very bad if Russia goes to GII... Portugal is more used to it (unfortunally). Perhaps Elias, finally, pulls one good match in DC. If he can win one rubber, all can be decided in the doubles...

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DAY 1

A. KUZNETSOV v G. ELIAS
E. DONSKOY v J. SOUSA

DAY 2

K. KRAVCHUK/A. RUBLEV v G. ELIAS/J. SOUSA

DAY 3

A. KUZNETSOV v J. SOUSA
E. DONSKOY v G. ELIAS

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doubles teams were the ones I was expecting. But again, if one of Elias or Sousa have long matches tomorrow, I would put Silva in the doubles team, replacing that player.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very dificult game to Elias..
Even if it was on clay, Elias is 2-0 up in H2H against Andrey, both this season. Elias is far from being only a claycourter, so I think he has chances here. Of course it's going to be difficult, but very far from impossible.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Terrible perfomances. Here we go again too group II... We are too good for group II, but apparently too bad for group I. Kind of unlucky with the draws in group I to be honest. Everytime there is a good/medium team, we always play away. Against mug teams, we play at home, when we were going to win it either way.

Sousa can go mental when things aren't going his way. Depressing to see his behaviour sometimes. Elias is always a mug in DC, so no surprises here. I would definetly put Silva in the doubles match and Rui on Sunday.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Sorry, bros. i think we lead 2-0 because permanent DC russian "shouter" shout "Россия" very loudly :D
Sousa played not badly in 1st and in 3d sets.
Go, Russia!

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Disgraceful perfomance with no fight, no heart, no soul, no NOTHING! Silva is the best doubles player we have and no chance was even given to him today. Back to group II, probably we'll coming back to group I in 2 years, but we don't have a team good enough for group I and group II is too weak for us. We have to face the facts. Russia played basically with their B team and still crushed what it's supposed to be our best team. Shamefull stuff, when we have our best player in history in his peak.

Good luck to Russia in group I next season.

·
Registered
96 Posts
To bad, although predictable. For me the key this year was the loss against slovenia in 1st round. I also believe that the draws have been unlucky these last ears for Portugal.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
We just suck in away ties. Portugal is that team that everyone wants to face outside our home.

·
Registered
96 Posts
We just suck in away ties. Portugal is that team that everyone wants to face outside our home.
Yes, true. But it is also urgent to get a more competent doubles team. We´re not winnig any doubles matches these last years. Perhaps the team coaches Nuno Marques and Emanuel Couto should return. They were a great team!
Better luck for 2015 in GII!

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, true. But it is also urgent to get a more competent doubles team. We´re not winnig any doubles matches these last years. Perhaps the team coaches Nuno Marques and Emanuel Couto should return. They were a great team!
Better luck for 2015 in GII!
Like I said we have a player that has great results on doubles and we didn't put him. A 2 times slam champion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts