Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching WTA today and after Ostapenko won they complemented her on hitting her FH harder than Andy Murray :). It got me interested to know whether groundstroke speed stats are available on the web...

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
Rosol in the 5th against Nadal had 85 mph average on his groundstrokes.

I read somewhere Soderling had 85 mph during his 2010 victory against Federer at the FO..

Those are probably the highest average speed you are going to see.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Rosol in the 5th against Nadal had 85 mph average on his groundstrokes.

I read somewhere Soderling had 85 mph during his 2010 victory against Federer at the FO..

Those are probably the highest average speed you are going to see.

I wonder what the average speed of Fernando Gonzalez's forehand was. The hard hitting Chilean had one of my favourite forehands :drool:

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts

·
Registered
8,910 Posts
If you don't :superlol: at this stat, nothing else will.

Andy Murray has one of the fastest recorded forehands on the ATP Tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0BrhpAvaiQ
I :superlol: at your post.

You don't understand the difference between average and top speed? Thiem for example also hit the fastest serve of the tournament. Is his 1st serve on average as good or as powerful as Raonic's, Kyrgios' or Isners'?

Murray's FH is by far the weakest out of the 4 semifinalists.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
I :superlol: at your post.

You don't understand the difference between average and top speed? Thiem for example also hit the fastest serve of the tournament. Is his 1st serve on average as good or as powerful as Raonic's, Kyrgios' or Isners'?

Murray's FH is by far the weakest out of the 4 semifinalists.
Yeah, I know the difference, I support Andy and I lol at that one. He's not an all out attacker of the ball and uses spins, slices, etc which is why his average speed is so low compared to others, but I really had to post that fact. ;)

·
Registered
8,910 Posts
Yeah, I know the difference, I support Andy and I lol at that one. He's not an all out attacker of the ball and uses spins, slices, etc which is why his average speed is so low compared to others, but I really had to post that fact. ;)
Not so much on the FH side. But the short swing helps him on ROS and counterpunching, which is less useful on clay though. The difference is def. much smaller on faster courts. Maybe not the average speed but the overall effectiveness.

·
Chaos Theory
56,703 Posts
Madison Keys has been said to hit harder than most men. A shame she hardly finds the court.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.