21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Is OP a lawyer?
No, why :D

when he was young, you name 2017? stuff thats like 2.5 years ago? Hehe
Yes, I feel since the end of 2017 and his ATP Finals success he is a different player. Much more cautious, more defensive, weaker shots, added psychological pressure to perform well having won that title and been world #3. And even without this, his psychological state during matches is not among the best in the tour. I even feel after he won that title he kind of is content with himself and his accomplishments. Not everyone is like the Big 3. Who knows what is inside Grigor's head? Maybe he feels if he never wins a slam he would still be perfectly fine with his career.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
He can get extremely lucky at times. I suppose that's why they called him baby Federer. So he can very well get a joke draw in a tournament, peak, and win it. Probably nothing above 250 though.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Last year a user who is a lawyer made a ban bet with someone that Federer was going to retire following Laver Cup. He escaped the ban by arguing some other meaning of the word "following". Just curious if there's any risk of another laywergate, although I think it is minimal.

Anyway Dimitrov could win some challenger titles if he ever went to that. ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think it too much saying he never win another title. He been always inconsistent whole career. He have many up down and when he off, he lose everyone but when he on he very scary and beat everyone too. It difficult read him. He lose in 1st round few tournament in row then suddenly start winning like someone else. He just unpredicatble. Let hope he just going through those patchy period where he off and come back strong soon. I actually have hunch he win either Indian Wells / Miami.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I don’t think his shoulders issues are even fixed.
Maybe, only he knows that, hopefully that problem is gone...

I actually have hunch he win either Indian Wells / Miami.
No chance, he is awful at these two tournamets, never been past R3 in Indian Wells considering he almost always has a bye in the first round. Miami is a little more successful but I don't think he's ever been past R4 there as well. He has two nice victories there against Andy Murray but now the tournament venue is also changed so...

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
He's too talented to write off yet but he's clearly a shadow of the player he once was. I remember his detractors on here complaining that he used to servebot his way out of defeat, now he can barely serve any aces at all.

He really needs to fix whatever the issue is with his serve, whether it is his shoulder or something else because his game is built around it. You can see his lack of confidence in his serve has affected all other aspects of his game and it's only getting worse. He used to have a great one-two punch with his serve & forehand but even when he gets a big serve in now, he regularly misses the easy put away because he's so tight.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yes you are spot on, his serve is much worse than before, and also the power of his other shots is so much weaker. Like you describe, he used to have much more forehand winners, as this is the shot he relies on, his backhand is shit. But nowadays, there are so few forehands which are not reached by the opponent. Maybe the decrease in shot speed is due to the shoulder, maybe not, but he indeed needs to take care of this asap.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
2017 was his best and peak year; started the year with a win in Brisbane, reached AO SF, won Cincinnati Masters, and ended with a win in ATP Finals. Two Big Titles and a slam SF in that year.

Btw, he's only 28 and will have at least 7 to 8 years of tennis career. Can't win an ATP 250?
He played great at the AO but still lost to Rafa. Cinci and Nitto were just flukes. However, obviously he will win a title if he gives even half of a shit.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts