Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the bold (or not?) prediction of a Grigor Dimitrov fan.

Very inconsistent, seems like in 80% of his matches he is not even interested anymore, does he really want to continue playing tennis seriously?

When he was young, he was playing much more beautiful tennis, much more offensive tennis. Nowadays most of his matches are a struggle to watch. Yes, he'll get the shot of the week time and time again, but that's it. It doesn't win matches, nor titles.

When he was younger, he was at least able to vulture some big titles like Cincinnati and the ATP Finals by taking advantage of some external factors. Nowadays this is entirely gone. Tommy Paul, Gregoire Barrere, Kevin King, Alexander Bublik, etc, etc, everyone beats him. I am not saying these guys are not good tennis players (with the exception of King) but Dimitrov must use some of the experience he must have gained in the tour, having played in it for 10 years already.

The only reason he won a match this week is Shapovalov was in an even worse form. Today Felix Auger-Aliassime, for the second time, completely obliterated Dimitrov in two very easy sets. Me, as a Dimitrov fan, having watched both matches, both times it looked like Dimitrov is 19 years old and Felix is 28.

Anyway, you get the idea.

P.S. Hopefully this thread jinxes the whole situation and Grigor fucking wakes up, some day.

·
Premium Member
8,639 Posts
Desperate attempt by creating a jinx thread.

I agree however that isn't good enough to win anything above 250 and even that with lucky draw.

·
Registered
14,391 Posts
Totally imaginable, based on how things panned out for the Bulgarian in last 18 months, let's say.

·
Registered
189 Posts
See his 2013 match vs Djokovic in Madrid, since then it was all downhill for him, never played high level like that again.

He is defending SF points from USO last year so that one is going to hit him hard because I don't see him defending any of those points, luckily he'll win 1 or 2 matches if he gets easy opponents but I'm pretty sure he will not be at the top100 at the end of this year, I've been following Grigor for years and I think he is in the worst mental state he's ever been at the moment, his game is also weak as fuck, no serve, no backhand, just awful. Maybe leaving top100 and having to play challenger will make him wake up and decide if he wants to go for big things in tennis, once and for all, if not just retire dude.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
See his 2013 match vs Djokovic in Madrid, since then it was all downhill for him, never played high level like that again.

He is defending SF points from USO last year so that one is going to hit him hard because I don't see him defending any of those points, luckily he'll win 1 or 2 matches if he gets easy opponents but I'm pretty sure he will not be at the top100 at the end of this year, I've been following Grigor for years and I think he is in the worst mental state he's ever been at the moment, his game is also weak as fuck, no serve, no backhand, just awful. Maybe leaving top100 and having to play challenger will make him wake up and decide if he wants to go for big things in tennis, once and for all, if not just retire dude.
2017 was his best and peak year; started the year with a win in Brisbane, reached AO SF, won Cincinnati Masters, and ended with a win in ATP Finals. Two Big Titles and a slam SF in that year.

Btw, he's only 28 and will have at least 7 to 8 years of tennis career. Can't win an ATP 250?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like someone had a bet on Dimitrov today. LOL.
Nope, I didn't, I am not mad to bed on him at 1.57 in the current situation against a guy who destroyed him at Queen's last year.

Not the person I thought who'd start this thread.
Yes, I am a fan, but I prefer to be realistic rather than blind.

I am convinced he won't defend the USO points barring a miracle. However, he has a chance to make a miraculous run at another tournament and somehow stay in the top 50.

He was literally number 78 and lost to Kevin King six months ago. After that loss, he somehow managed to reach USO and Paris SFs. The match versus De Minaur was good, the match with Federer left questions for Federer's fitness, the other matches weren't anything special. In Paris he played well indeed.

The thing is I think Grigor is not the type of player who will leave the top 100 having to play challengers and have this thing motivate him. Quite the opposite, I think this will crush his self-belief and he is not going to do very well in that situation. We were on the brink of witnessing what would happen in such a scenario but as I said, as soon as he became #78 in the rankings he reached the USO SF.

I can imagine a scenario where the ATP Finals in London is the last title in his career.

He will win at least one title this year. Can't wait to bump this thread when he does.
Hopefully you are right. I would be very happy about it. I couldn't care less if my prediction here turns out wrong if Dimitrov manages to put his shit together.

However, for the time being, with the performance levels he shows, I can't see him winning the necessary number of matches in a row to win a title. In the big tournaments the opposition is very strong for 5-7 consecutive wins, whereas in ATP250's Grigor just looks totally disinterested. Looks like he uses them to try new shots or whatever. And his lower-ranked opponents know that, and they know perfectly well how to exploit him, strike a few consecutive shots on his backhand you win the point.

That's why he loses constantly to guys like King, Barrere, Moutet in the first rounds. He used to be good on indoor hard, nowadays not so much. He used to have achievemens on grass, for the past three years he is terrible on grass. Whereas clay shouldn't be discussed at all.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
I don't know if he will never win another title, but he's clearly struggling to find his mojo ever since that WTF 2017 win. I always heard about how his shoulder (right one, I think) gave him problems, but I don't remember reading anything official about it.

It feels like he had a flash in the pan in 2017, and now he's a glimmer, cooling down fast and inevitably.

Of course, things could change as they did in the past 3 years, quite fast, too. But I'm not holding my breath.

·
justice for all
12,634 Posts
This actually isn't a very bold prediction. I assume it's probability to come true at roughly 40%.

It's still possible he'll put together a stretch of decent play + will get a relatively soft draw and might win a 250 or even a 500 who knows. But at the moment it looks quite gloomy for him. And it's not just that he "declined" cause he's too young for a drastic decline. For me he struggles with his style of play. For years now he's been playing quite defensively and sorry but that won't cut it vs the top20 guys most of the times. His BH has always been a liability and is even more so now and his serve seems weaker and less consistent accuracy wise now vs a couple of years ago.

I think if he wants to stay relevant he needs to change something fundamentally not just fine tune a couple of things. But at 28-29 I don't know if it's even feasible...

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
i dont know. i think its being a bit o doomsayer to say neither will win anything again but if you

·
Registered
13,694 Posts
when he was young, you name 2017? stuff thats like 2.5 years ago? Hehe

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Seems quite reactionary to me. Sure, he's looked pretty ordinary so far this year, but this is a guy who made the SF at the USO. You really reckon he won't win so much as a 250 for the rest of his career. Bold, bold call.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I always heard about how his shoulder (right one, I think) gave him problems, but I don't remember reading anything official about it.
Here is the story from the official ATP website: Grigor Dimitrov On His Renewed Perspective: 'This Is What I Was Meant To Do' | ATP Tour | Tennis

Basically he had huge problems with the shoulder for almost half of last season, he is saying he couldn't perform basic daily activities and this drove him nuts. For a guy who didn't have other serious injuries before, and for someone who generally doesn't speak out about his feelings in public, this interview was good.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts