Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grigor Dimitrov: "I’ve tried the gluten-free diet, it didn’t work for me"

From the sponsors’ perspective, it is all to the good that Dimitrov’s silky one-handed backhand resembles that of Roger Federer — the player whose retirement the sport fears above all. Indeed his whole technique is so reminiscent of the great man that he has gone through most of his career nicknamed ‘Baby Fed’.

Yet Dimitrov himself has grown increasingly sick of the comparison. As he told The Telegraph this week, the time has come to stop emulating and start trailblazing. “I think there is one recipe for each oneof us,” he said. “And I don’t think it’s matchable. I don’t think that because this thing works for that player, the same thing is going to work for me.
“When I started on the seniors’ tour, I just felt like every day I was looking at the big guys and trying something new. I looked up to them in the locker room, and watched how they were stretching, how were their warm-ups, what do they eat.

“I’ve tried the gluten-free diet, it didn’t work for me. I’ve tried going crazy in the gym. When I got to the final in Brisbane last year, I’d been doing squats and lifting weights three times before every match, and I felt so flat. I’ve done bikram yoga, but I’m very flexible anyway and I’m barely keeping kilos on my body.
“Then, at some point, this friggin’ comparison with Roger [Federer] came, because everyone was thinking that this is what I was trying to do. I was never intending or even being provocative towards that space — to look like him or be like him. But everything that I was doing was turning that way and everyone was putting more oil on the fire.

“I watched all his matches, I’m not going to lie. Young kids will have idols, and try to look like them and be like them, but there is a point when you say, ‘Screw that, I’m me.’ And when you find that, your whole idea and perception of life changes.”

It might seem ironic in the circumstances that Dimitrov’s life has now become a tale of two Rogers — not only Federer but also Rasheed, the motormouthed Australian coach whom he hired at the start of October. Only a week later, he won his maiden ATP title in Stockholm, and has since added tournaments in Acapulco and Bucharest.
This was a brave appointment, even though Rasheed has built up a strong reputation after working with Lleyton Hewitt and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. A fitness obsessive with a boxer’s physique, he has a reputation as a military-style hard case, and Dimitrov now finds himself drilling like a marine.

“Physically, he probably lost a couple of years for sure,” Rasheed told The Telegraph. “I watched him as a young player coming on the tour, and that would be one of the drawbacks in his profiling, it didn’t look like enough was going on in that space.
“You only have to look at where Andy [Murray] was if you take him back five or six years, he was similar. Look at Andy now and it’s a different frame, and that’s allowed him to have a lot of confidence on the court and sustain his output.
“With Grigor, we have only touched the physical side. I think he is a quarter of the way through where he will end up physically. In 18 months’ time he will be an interesting athlete, I think.”

Although Dimitrov was born in Bulgaria, the son of a tennis coach, he has hardly lived in his home country, moving to Patrick Mouratoglou’s academy in Paris as a young teenager before spending some time in Stockholm. Yet his Hollywood credentials have only been boosted by last year’s move to Los Angeles, Sharapova’s long-time base.

Now he says he spends his leisure time like “a typical Cali”.
“I just take my cruiser and I go around. I’m a very creative person so I like to go on the beach: maybe I’m going to meditate, maybe I’m going to do some exercise, maybe I am going to go to the bars on the beach, no T-shirt just fool around.
“That’s the person I am and I love being like this, because that’s how I get my inspiration. And once I get that inspiration you see everything so clearly in front of you that you feel like you can’t make the wrong step.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/frenchopen/10853951/French-Open-2014-Crown-prince-Grigor-Dimitrov-ready-to-take-Roger-Federers-throne-at-Roland-Garros.html

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Re: Grigor Dimitrov: "I’ve tried the gluten-free diet, it didn’t work for me"

No wiser than saying: I've tried moonballing for 5 hours, but it didn't work for me. Every player is different and should insist on his own way of tackling problems.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts

“I’m a very creative person so I like to go on the beach”
Wow.

And I knew Rasheed's plan was to grind Grigor down like all other players before.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

It's not so much that every player is different. Unless you are gluten intolerant, going gluten free is an utter waste of time and effort and is a great big gimmick. If you are gluten intolerant, gluten will make you very ill.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

Try Paleo. It's better

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

has he tried Eggs?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts

You either have it or you don't - talent I mean. This Challenger level mug obviously doesn't have any at all and desperately hoped that he could substitute it with some diet nonsense.

·
Registered
13,392 Posts

It's not so much that every player is different. Unless you are gluten intolerant, going gluten free is an utter waste of time and effort and is a great big gimmick. If you are gluten intolerant, gluten will make you very ill.
Exactly. I have a friend with celiac disease and she's at the very least relieved because the surge in mommy bloggers and fad dieters going gluten free means there are more options for her now at the grocery.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts

Well, duh, if he is not gluten intolerant why even bother ...

By the way doctors/major scientists can't agree about anything any more.

For the longest time they were preaching how low fat/high carb diet is the way to go and be healthy ... and North Americans were getting more and more obese.

Nowadays, the high protein/high fat but very low carbs is the way to go.

I personally, don't eat any sugar or any processed food any more ... I avoid simple carbs (sugar, white flower even rice etc.) and I feel 10 times better than before. I eat lots of fresh and cooked veggies, some fruit, and lean meat. I love fish.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts

“I just take my cruiser and I go around. I’m a very creative person so I like to go on the beach: maybe I’m going to meditate, maybe I’m going to do some exercise, maybe I am going to go to the bars on the beach, no T-shirt just fool around.
“That’s the person I am and I love being like this, because that’s how I get my inspiration. And once I get that inspiration you see everything so clearly in front of you that you feel like you can’t make the wrong step.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/frenchopen/10853951/French-Open-2014-Crown-prince-Grigor-Dimitrov-ready-to-take-Roger-Federers-throne-at-Roland-Garros.html
I like Dimitrov, but he sounds extremely stupid. That is one of the most cringe worthy quotes I've read from a tennis player. "I'm very creative"? Whatever you say.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts

I like Dimitrov, but he sounds extremely stupid. That is one of the most cringe worthy quotes I've read from a tennis player. "I'm very creative"? Whatever you say.
I'm afraid I agree with you 100% but I won't say anything. I don't want to upset our Bulgarian friends on MTF ;). Dimi said many bland silly things in his interviews but hey ...

·
Registered
6,407 Posts

Leave him alone ok that's what Cougarpova told him.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts

He sounds like he fits right in in California though. :lol:

I want to like Dimitrov, but I'm worried he's more style than substance in a few ways.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

He is not a bright kid but he has good heart, I can vouch for that. His English is not very good either since he studied it formally only for 1-2 years in middle school...hopefully that will improve now that he resides in the US more.

The comment is kinda funny, he was probably searching for something like "spontaneous"...

·
Registered
2,198 Posts

Why would he go for gluten-free diet, if he doesn't have coeliac disease?!? Djokovic HAD to change his diet because of his condition.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts