Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who is the most complete offensive player from both wings?

• Wawrinka

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Djokovic

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • Nalbandian

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Del Potro

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Safin

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Soderling

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I said to meself at the start of FO if Djokovic doesnt win the trophy then please god, I beg you not to let Murray or Federer win. Why am I telling this story you may ask? Stanimal is the sole reason why I'm creating this thread. I have never witness such perfection, not only does he produce so much power, its the beauty of his backhand that strikes me the most. I believe Wawrinka is the greatest shotmaker in tennis history from both wings. Yes, Wawrinka has a better attacking backhand than Djokovic. I'm purely looking from attacking perspective. There is no one who can match Wawrinka.

There are only 2 ways to defeat Wawrinka, you either start dictating right after hitting your serve, or have the greatest defence of all time like Djokovic. For the first sceneraio, you need a good return or serve, if you dont take adventage early in the point then you better prepare for a marathon run, because Wawrinka will let you explore the whole court.

Ofcourse there are other great offensive players from both wings. Djokovic is the first who comes in mind, great forehand, one of the best backhands of all time overall, but since we are talking about offence only we need to take a step back.

Federer one of the best forehands if not the best of all time, sadly I can't include the goat in this disucssion, because he's lacking too much consistency from the backhand side.

Soderling, Safin, Del Potro and Nalbandian are also good offensive players from both wings. I miss watching Nalbandian hit those insane angles, especially from the backhand side, but none compares to Wawrinka. Ofcourse this is only my opinion. I would like to know who you think is the most complete player offensive wise?

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Ofcourse there are other great offensive players from both wings. Djokovic is the first who comes in mind
Is this for real? I can't tell...

By the way, it's tough question but probably Gonzalez.

·
The Master
1,102 Posts
Greatest including both wings = Greatest overall = Federer.

His prime backhand is just solid and nothing GOAT-worthy, yes, but his forehand basically tears Jesus a new one, so it averages out.

Federer, as usual.

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
Out of the list, Safin followed by Nalbandian.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greatest including both wings = Greatest overall = Federer.

His prime backhand is just solid and nothing GOAT-worthy, yes, but his forehand basically tears Jesus a new one, so it averages out.

Federer, as usual.
I agree with the forehand part, but you're trying to compensate for an average backhand. Federer's backhand is known for slice, serve block and is more used as defence than offence. Federer doesnt deserve to be on the list.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Roger Federer. When he is backhand is really GOATing, opponents can pray for death but I don't remember this happened since WTF 2010 Final.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Federer's backhand IS a very good offensive shot. His sice to approach the net is deadly, he can create sick angles, his topspin backhand to counter slices is excellent...

It's on the defense that his backhand is lacking (although still able of many genius shots).

So yes, Federer is the greatest offensive player with both wings considered. And I'll add that non only basline shots, but also volleys, should be considered..

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Djokovic of course. Not even debatable. Wawrinka had a great day but looked good mostly because No1e was exhausted in the RG final.

BTW Welcome back Master Yoda, however I am not sure if I like this "dark side" Yoda very much.

We want old Yoda back. ;)

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
Djokovic is in the options AND Federer is NOT?

I thought getting banned has cured Yoda of her illness, but apparently not. She continues trolling.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Hmmmmm Hard to choose. For me it's either Wawrinka or Soderling. Safin could be my choice had he be more consistent.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Djokovic is in the options AND Federer is NOT?

I thought getting banned has cured Yoda of her illness, but apparently not. She continues trolling.
Which part of "BOTH WINGS" you didn't understand.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
The difference is where is the player operate from. Nole is close bh baseline. Fed too. BUT Wawrinka power is own league... .forces these guys back. His backhand is way heavier/better than nole and fed today. On grass it doesnt fit as good bh baseline though.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Djokovic of course. Not even debatable. Wawrinka had a great day but looked good mostly because No1e was exhausted in the RG final.

BTW Welcome back Master Yoda, however I am not sure if I like this "dark side" Yoda very much.

We want old Yoda back. ;)
Powrinka outhit Nole before rg too. Its hilarious. "Big wow"

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Roger Federer. When he is backhand is really GOATing, opponents can pray for death but I don't remember this happened since WTF 2010 Final.
If you have to start your sentence with "when" and include "GOATing" "peak" or any such thing then it's obviously a farce cause you can say that with any player.

IMO it's Safin, Nalbandian and pre 2009 Djokovic

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
People who claim Federer is inept on the BH side really makes it clear as to who has started watching tennis in the last few years :lol:

And chico, Wawa has had more than one great day. And if you're exhausted after playing ONE hour the day before then he's not the athlete people claim he is :lol:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts