• Wimbledon 2012 F Federer def. Murray

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There have been some incredible matches between the big 4 in GS matches over the years, but which match is the best? :)

Please no fanbase wars!

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Drama : Wimbledon 2008 F
Quality-wise : Roland-Garros 2011 SF

Overall, it's still Nadal vs. Federer at Wimbledon 2008 IMO.
Honorable mentions to Wimbledon 2007, 2012 and 2014 finals as well.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually think Winbledon 2007 was a better match than 2008. 2008 was still a great match and definitely had more drama, but quality wise 2007 edges it for me.

I'm not sure what my favourite match off this list is though. 2014 was incredible quality, the amount of winners and lack of UE from both players was insane. But there have been so many epic matches, so my favourite changes day to day!

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How are Wimby 2006 and 2012 F on the list ahead of FO SF 2013?
Djokovic was awful in that match, absolutely terrible. Look at his winner to UE count. I understand why Nadal fans would like the match, but objectively speaking it was not good. One player was in good form and the other was poor, culminating in that net touch. A match being long doesn't make it quality.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
The trashing of DJokovic by Olderer in RG 2011 :drool:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Djokovic vs fed USO SF 2011 The quality and drama of that match :worship:

Honorable mentions Wimby 2008, USO F 2011, AO F 2012, RG SF 2011

·
Registered
993 Posts
For me Australian Open 2012 F Djokovic def. Nadal

But you need to put the 2013 SF Nadal vs Djokovic 9-7 was a epic match whit a lot of drama.

Outside the big four the best for me was French Open 2011 Nadal VS Isner 6-4 in fifth set

·
Registered
904 Posts
RG SF 2011 between Roger and Nole.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Djokovic was awful in that match, absolutely terrible. Look at his winner to UE count. I understand why Nadal fans would like the match, but objectively speaking it was not good. One player was in good form and the other was poor, culminating in that net touch. A match being long doesn't make it quality.
Lol, so Djokovic pushed Nadal, the greatest clay court player ever to the brink of defeat and he put in an 'absolutely terrible performance'. I would like to see him play ok then. The only reason you're saying he was terrible was because he played some parts of the match badly like the last game and 3rd set. He played some exceptional stuff for alot of the match and the quality of tennis and drama were great. I don't know what match you were watching tbh.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Wimbledon 08.

It's not just Rafa's win on that day made that Wimbledon 08 moment very special. It's how he got there. It's a continuous process of three years, slow and steady, and how Rafa worked his way up to add new dimensions to his clay game and finally dethrone one of the greatest grass-courters from his kingdom.

Loss in 4 sets in Wimby 2006 final
Loss in 5 sets in Wimby 2007 final
Win in 5 sets in Wimby 2008 final

My picks for three best grand slam matches are:
Wimby 2008 final
AO 2009 final
AO 2012 final

No other player has ever brought or brings the passion, emotion, intensity (and so many other things) to the game like Rafa did or does. That's why he is my GOAT and the GOAT.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
AO 09 was simply epic, such a shame Federer went on to net every second ball in the final set. That's why it has to be Wimbledon 08 for me

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I rewatched the US open 2011 final recently and it was just as good as I remembered. The rallies were just incredible, both guys were going hard.

With the AO 2009 final, the quality of the first 4 sets was brilliant but Roger was poor in the last set. I honestly find it hard to pick a favourite. Obviously some of them didn't have the resulted as I'm not a Nadal fan, but that doesn't mean I can't acknowledge what great matches they were. There are epic matches between the top 4 that will be remembered, regardless of who you like and who you don't.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Fed-Djoker French Open 2011.

I still dream that performance...performance....that was the best tennis ever.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
The big 4 are Sampras/Agassi and Nadal/Djokovic. Federer is a transitional champion in the weak era between those and Murray is not accomplished enough.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts