Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Skoff

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How close is Thiem to being the greatest Austrian tennis player?

Muster reached world no. 1 and won the FO. He has 44 ATP title.

Thiem has reached 3 GS finals along with 16 ATP titles while Muster reached only 1 GS final.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I voted Muster because so far he's achieved much more than Thiem. But in a few years, I suspect it will ultimately be Thiem. I think Thiem will one win a few Slams and Masters, which would put him ahead of Muster.

·
Registered
785 Posts
This thread seems to be ahead of time because I think Thiem's best tennis is to come. I went with Muster because he was just a work horse of a player that hit such heavy ground strokes. I get the feeling that Thiem has a more rounded game than Muster which is why I think by career end he could be ahead of the two.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Thiem. Lost three times against clay goat in RG. Muster only won one French Open, not good at all.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
muster so far, but thiem will be greater overall i believe, give him time

Reactions: guitarra

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Game wise,i like Thiem more.Overall,in the end of his road,Thiem ofc will be the best Austrian,he almost best now,lul

·
11,128 Posts
Melzer for me..

Reactions: hammett

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Muster did underachieve at the FO.

Given his clay court dominance, you would have thought he won 3 FO titles.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Muster had some problems to cope with serve & volley players that were more common in the 90's.
That's why he lost against Rafter in 1994 and Stich in 1996 even if he was the best claycourter in these seasons.
Plus the 16 seeds draws were more tricky for top players.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
It's still Muster, as long as Domi doesn't win a slam. But I think he will win one sooner or later and then it's clearly Domi for me.

·
justice for all
16,885 Posts
Well, results-wise it's still Muster of course but...
1. Dominic had to contend vs the three best players ever and specifically vs the clay GOAT Nadal in 2 RG finals and vs AO GOAT Djokovic in AO final, tough luck...
2. I believe when all is said and done Dominic will become the best Austrian player ever and will overshadow Muster

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Muster. And it's going to stay that way. Thiem is too nice. If he can summon up his inner beast, his inner Muster, and show the big 3 he wants it more than they do and not be afraid to step on toes, he can win majors.

If Thiem keeps playing these major finals like he's afraid to win, he will always be a Todd Martin bridesmaid.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts