Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
And, shockingly, the most intelligent time-travel mindfuck out there (if you disregard Shane Carruth's Primer).

·
Registered
3,132 Posts

Trailers so often do the film an injustice. The trailer for Naked is completely offbeat. The use of The Thieving Magpie is possibly referencing A Clockwork Orange but it doesn't really represent the film very well.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Better than Timecrimes and Triangle?
Maybe not quite as fun as those two, but more complicated, with everything still falling neatly into place, even under close scrutiny. I can barely believe that someone wrote such screenplay for a small budget movie.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
.. Yeah Circle is great.I have it and have seen it quite a few times.Love movies like that,in particular human survival and what actions a person would/might take and which character you most likely share the most in common with.
Go ahead and see The Platform then, for the extreme version of it.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Maybe not quite as fun as those two, but more complicated, with everything still falling neatly into place, even under close scrutiny. I can barely believe that someone wrote such screenplay for a small budget movie.
Cheers, i will check it out then as i quite enjoy those type of movies and quality isn't always up to scratch.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I've seen more than 200 movies since the lockdown started most of them obscure not available on streaming so had to do illegal stuff
Your a bad boy

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I've seen more than 200 movies since the lockdown started most of them obscure not available on streaming so had to do illegal stuff
Good!

Fuck those holier than thou actors telling us how we should be living our lives and then expecting me to dig into my pockets for their liking to validate their insane amounts they get.Don't need to go to the movies.I'll just download the thing and leech off their craft thank you very much.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
[/QUOTE]

... And I did exactly just that... last night.Thank you for the recommendation and here's my summary of the movie.

It started off great with the first 45 minutes really interesting and exposition being laid out nice and smoothly.

However,Pedigree beat me to it by saying this and I wholeheartedly agree- ie.. the 2nd act and thereafter dragged on a bit and it lost it's lustre.The ending indeed was unfulfilling.A good movie recommendation nonetheless.

Here's some of the 'human survival' and similar type movies that I have also from the top of my head

Disclaimer: Some of these movies aren't that good.. in fact B-grade but still interesting on the human interaction/survival aspect.

1.Would You Rather
2.Devil
3.Circle (Already mentioned by Retister)
4.Nine Dead
5.Fermat's Room
6.Unknown (2006 version)
7.The Killing Room
8.House of 9

·
Registered
5,688 Posts

... And I did exactly just that... last night.Thank you for the recommendation and here's my summary of the movie.

It started off great with the first 45 minutes really interesting and exposition being laid out nice and smoothly.

However,Pedigree beat me to it by saying this and I wholeheartedly agree- ie.. the 2nd act and thereafter dragged on a bit and it lost it's lustre.The ending indeed was unfulfilling.A good movie recommendation nonetheless.

Here's some of the 'human survival' and similar type movies that I have also from the top of my head

Disclaimer: Some of these movies aren't that good.. in fact B-grade but still interesting on the human interaction/survival aspect.

1.Would You Rather
2.Devil
3.Circle (Already mentioned by Retister)
4.Nine Dead
5.Fermat's Room
6.Unknown (2006 version)
7.The Killing Room
8.House of 9
In terms of human interactions/survival aspect there are few movies which are better than German flick Das Experiment (2001). Crazy stuff.

·
Super Moderator
7,350 Posts
.. Yeah Circle is great.I have it and have seen it quite a few times.Love movies like that,in particular human survival and what actions a person would/might take and which character you most likely share the most in common with.
Those kind of movies are usually very engaging, but some of them tend to fall off towards the end because of one issue this genre has going to it. The introduction of the main context is probably the strongest part within this sub-genre. There's a lot of mistery as of how this situation came to be, and there's also the introduction of a certain set of 'rules'. This is all very engaging. But the second part of the movie needs to be the character(s) wits and solution-finding to try and break these rules. And not every script writer can come up with good second acts. It's definitely the thoughest part. The very popular (and lengthy) Cell series is one of the most iconic representatives of this issue, I think.

You know, I've always wanted to work with this movie at school, the opportunity never came up. One of the issues is that kids nowadays will not sit down through an entire film and not loose focus. But, oh well. I really liked this one when I saw it. Never gets too preachy, I think. It's a great movie to see with someone who you can later on talk about with. There's more to unpack with a post viewing discussion than what the movie might display explicitly.

The Platform got off to a promising start but the ending was quite anti-climatic.
I've seen this point to be an issue for a lot of people. The consensus on the internet seems to be that the ending to The Platform is 'bad'.

I don't know, to me it was crystal clear. It's all about the message to be sent.

The structure can't be broken by force (hint to past revolutions that have accomplished nothing on the big picture?). They then become so focused on this cake and I think it would be interesting to discuss what the cake is supposed to represent. But the movie makes it clear that defending it brings about a lot of violence. And keeping the cake means refusing food to those who need it (in the end they understand that the cake is not more important than feeding someone who needs it).

I think the true message of the film is about the next generations. Our current society is too rotten, and enrooted into this vile system. You need to appeal to the fresh minds of the future. When in the end the old man tells the protagonist to stay, I think it's a reference to ideas being bigger than men. He says something in the lines of 'this message has no need of a messenger' (maybe a reference to figures in the past who then became bigger than the ideal itself, deforming it?).

Maybe a lot of people were expecting him to go up, survive, adopt the child as his own and live happily ever after. But that's not what this movie is about at all. An ending between those lines would've made absolutely no sense.

I think what might've confused the casual movie viewer is that it starts quite explicitely, but then slowly transitions to an implicit form of story telling (from the decision to purposely descend to the bottom and onwards). And probably a lot of people got lost in that transition.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Maybe a lot of people were expecting him to go up, survive, adopt the child as his own and live happily ever after. But that's not what this movie is about at all. An ending between those lines would've made absolutely no sense.
This is definitely not what I was looking for. But, as a viewer, if you make your way through 90 minutes of gross imagery you are expecting some sort of resolution - good, bad or indifferent - and The Platform did not have that. spoiler alert Even a short scene where the girl arrives at the top and the administrator looks at her and has some sort of reaction would have worked (leaving it unresolved from there).

I think what might've confused the casual movie viewer is that it starts quite explicitely, but then slowly transitions to an implicit form of story telling (from the decision to purposely descend to the bottom and onwards). And probably a lot of people got lost in that transition.
I'd go beyond "explicit" and say that the writers beat the audience over the head for an hour with a very simplistic theme.

The more I think about this movie, the less I like it. Interesting premise, but short on execution IMO.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts