Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After the upset at RG R1 it's time for the grass, where Grigor usually brings his best tennis. His first tournament will be the Aegon Championships, he has a title do defend, but mind you all, this is ATP 500 event from this year, so it will be a bigger meat grinder. I think he should play Stutgart or Topshelf Open, as to try and compensate the early RG loss and get used to grass with more matches at least. His grass schedule looks like this for now :

- AEGON CHAMPIONSHIPS 15/06/2015 - 21/06/2015
- BNP PARIBAS TENNIS CLASSIC (EXHIBITION) - 23/06/2015 - 26/06/2015
- WIMBLEDON - 29/06/2015 - 12/07/2015

P.S what are your "early" predictions?

·
Bring it Home
20,353 Posts
I also think he should ask for a WC in Rosmalen. Tsonga is currently the top seed there.

Would be a good tournament to get to some wins and maybe even a title to built confidence on.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking at the rankings, Grigor is one of the players compared to the others around him that has a small number of tournaments played. He should play more, he is 24 after all. That being said here are my early grass predictions, both optimistic and pessimistic:
Pessimistic:
-Aegon - quarter/semi final
-Wimbledon QF/R16
Optimistic:
-Aegon final/sf
-Wimbledon sf/qf

So the conclusion is Wimbledon QF and Aegon SF, will see what happens still early ...

·
Bring it Home
20,353 Posts
Of course, the only reason he's behind mugs like Troicki, Anderson or Garcia-Lopez is because he isn't vulturing too much. :lol:

Dimitrov is a top 3 player on the grass, he can win every tournament if he's confident, that's why he should dump Rasheed and hire some real help, I'd love to see him coached by Sampras. :smoke:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Spirographus yea I saw, thanks

Tom Halls ‏@tghalls
@GrigorDimitrov spotted hitting with @RoscoHutchins on the grass courts of the NTC today. Looks in good form for the #aegonchampionships

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Of course, the only reason he's behind mugs like Troicki, Anderson or Garcia-Lopez is because he isn't vulturing too much. :lol:

Dimitrov is a top 3 player on the grass, he can win every tournament if he's confident, that's why he should dump Rasheed and hire some real help, I'd love to see him coached by Sampras. :smoke:
I wanted Sampras too but that's impossible and maybe not the best option either.

Mats Wilander is my new #1 choice for Grigor's next coach.

I think that he is very smart, very aware tactically and a very strong character too. Should do wonders for Grigor's game and mental strength. Hopefully someone close to Grigor gives him the word to try him out.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I wanted Sampras too but that's impossible and maybe not the best option either.

Mats Wilander is my new #1 choice for Grigor's next coach.

I think that he is very smart, very aware tactically and a very strong character too. Should do wonders for Grigor's game and mental strength. Hopefully someone close to Grigor gives him the word to try him out.
Respectfully, I cannot disagree more. I have a very low opinion of him. Mats is currently best known for his inaccurate predictions, so much so that whenever he predicts someone to win, it is considered a curse. I have watched his analyses many times and find them very pompous, yet short on substance. Above all, he changes his opinions and his preference for players depending on their current results. Suddenly, it transpires that Wawrinka has been Mats' second-most-attractive-to watch player (after Federer) for over 5-6 years. Now, post-RG... He's talked Grigor up and down many times before (depending on current results), so for me he is a word-whore. Luckily, it will never happen as he would never trade the cosy, well paid and prestigious contract he has with Eurosport for a demanding, yet insecure coach position.

My personal preference would be Sampras or Agassi, although I realise both of these are highly unlikely due to family and business responsibilites. Alternatively, he could keep Rasheed, but add another person who would be focusing more on tactics and certain technical elements. This would also not be easy, since Rasheed needs to agree on this reduction of his responsibilities, plus the new person would need to fit in and get along well with both Grigor and Rasheed. It's a tough cookie this one...

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Respectfully, I cannot disagree more. I have a very low opinion of him. Mats is currently best known for his inaccurate predictions, so much so that whenever he predicts someone to win, it is considered a curse. I have watched his analyses many times and find them very pompous, yet short on substance. Above all, he changes his opinions and his preference for players depending on their current results. Suddenly, it transpires that Wawrinka has been Mats' second-most-attractive-to watch player (after Federer) for over 5-6 years. Now, post-RG... He's talked Grigor up and down many times before (depending on current results), so for me he is a word-whore. Luckily, it will never happen as he would never trade the cosy, well paid and prestigious contract he has with Eurosport for a demanding, yet insecure coach position.

My personal preference would be Sampras or Agassi, although I realise both of these are highly unlikely due to family and business responsibilites. Alternatively, he could keep Rasheed, but add another person who would be focusing more on tactics and certain technical elements. This would also not be easy, since Rasheed needs to agree on this reduction of his responsibilities, plus the new person would need to fit in and get along well with both Grigor and Rasheed. It's a tough cookie this one...
He hypes whoever is winning, that's true, but it is also his job as a commentator. :)

He is a clever guy and knows his tennis though, that's for sure.

I will take Sampras, Agassi, another Swede, even Annacone. Just get rid of that pretender Rasheed.

·
Bring it Home
20,353 Posts
A good coach would make wonders in the motivation area based on the fact Dimitrov trashed twice the Roland Garros champion on clay this year. But Rasheed...well, never mind.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually Rasheed is famous for being a good motivator. But looking at his twitter and the "inspirational quotes" he posts i'm not that sure.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
aww nooo, no Willander please

I would love the sweet Pete :hearts:
why not Soderling...
I highly respect the Swedish school of tennis and life.

Soderling would be great too, I feel.

Wilander could surprise a lot of people though. Don't put him down too lightly. :)

As it is, I don't have any high hopes for the grass season. Fingers crossed, but...

·
Registered
908 Posts
I highly respect the Swedish school of tennis and life.

Soderling would be great too, I feel.

Wilander could surprise a lot of people though. Don't put him down too lightly. :)

As it is, I don't have any high hopes for the grass season. Fingers crossed, but...
All outcomes are good mate. Either Grigor comes back to winning ways, improves his confidence and shoots up the rankings or he flops the grass season too, accelerating the departure of Rasheed... It's a win-win situation :D

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Queen's Top half draw

1 Murray/Q.
Verdasco/Bautista Agut
Muller/Youzhny
Querrey/6 Dimitrov

4 Cilic/Mannarino
Troicki/Q.
Q./Isner
Sousa/8 Lopez

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh wow, so he has got a tough draw on both doubles and singles. There goes the points i'm afraid. Still hoping for a good tournament, the good results come from him when i least expect him to win, as is the case in this tournament.

·
Bring it Home
20,353 Posts
Just like the last 2 years, Dimitrov will be finishing the 1st day in Court Central.

Match against Mugrrey will be the 4th one, with the first match starting at 12.30 (London Time).

1 - 20 of 79 Posts